Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
I looked into the SxS (side-by-side) off road buggies. Turns out that there is what they are calling a 50" class and there are now 4 brands making those. Of the four the shortest one is the Honda Pioneer 500 at 102.5" It is electronically limited to 40mph and runs 24" tires Front and rear differentials are shaft driven via a 5 speed automatic. Engine crank is oriented N/S, located directly in front of the rear diff. Unfortunately they did not see fit to lay the cylinder down horizontally. It is a single cylinder water cooled 475cc with 28.6hp. It is way too tall at about 72"

Conceivably the chassis and driveline could be used if overall length is shortened by about 5" or more. Due to the shaft drive this is feasible. That leaves the question of height. It does not appear that there is anything about the chassis and driveline that cannot be made to clear a 30" limit other than possibly the top shock mounts. So the challenge is to fit in the passengers in a low seating position. Unfortunately this may require use of the same space as taken by the engine. Possibly the engine could be moved forward. Ground clearance is 9.5-8.5" and suspension travel is 5.9" For transport, ground clearance could be reduced to <1" and raised to 3-5" for use. Because the seat height is 28.7", reduction of ground clearance to 1" would make the seat height 21.2" leaving space for a folding seat back.

Plenty of challenges in making this work, even more if it is meant to in any way take on the general appearance of a scaled down MGB or to make use of MGB bodywork. But it does seem that the possibility is there. First production year was 2015.

Jim

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
Honda Pioneer 500.jpg    42 KB
Honda Pioneer 500.jpg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
You may run into some steering (height) issues, although I'd suspect that a sliding/locking column that can be dropped when not in use could be devised?

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
The biggest hurdle is cost/availability. New the 2015 Honda sold for $8000 and it isn't uncommon to see asking prices for them over $9000 today. So a wrecked one would seem the most viable option if it weren't for scarcity. Still, there's no hurry. The steering shaft has a couple of u-joints in it so that can be put wherever is convenient.

Jim

Yes No Thank
Lotus Avatar
Lotus Silver Member Roy Hodgson
Villeneuve, VD, Switzerland   CHE
1974 MG MGB "Butterscotch"
Just saw this ad. I know little about it and the ad is in French and German but you should be able to find some English documentation, At CHF 2,800 (@£2,900) brand new it could be a good base. (You might want to look into an engine swap as 125cc is not much).

https://www.autoscout24.ch/fr/d/jeep-cj-suvtout-terrain-neuf?utm_campaign=lower_funnel_ch_fr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=criteo&vehid=6218464

We have two lives. The second one starts when you realize you only have one.

Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Looks pretty wide.

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
What are your max dimensions again, Jim?

Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
54" wide x about 96" long x 30" high.

Jim

Yes No Thank
converse212 Avatar
converse212 Eric Morgan
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA
1970 MG MGB "Daily Driver"
1970 MG MGB GT "Rusty"
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
In reply to # 3894056 by Jim Blackwood 54" wide x about 96" long x 30" high.

Jim

Crosley hot shot?

Daily driving a '71 MGB

Resurrecting a '58 MGA

Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
With a 40" track the width should be OK or at least very close to ok. I'm not sure the bodywork wouldn't be too wide. But at 139" it's just about as long same as an MGB so that's a problem. Lack of an automatic is another issue and of course they always were underpowered. Windshield looks like it would have to be cut off or somehow made foldable. Standard wheelbase was 80" which could work with a small enough tire maybe but this model had that stretched out to 85" which would not.

Jim

Yes No Thank
1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
I am building a Locost 442E Man size 7
I have been contemplating on a MGB body. MG is 48" wide inside, the Locost is 46 1/4" It will fit inside the MG body shell
Wheel base can always be made to fit.

Lite chassis 2.0 liter ECOBOOS 6 speed BTW the six speed is a 1:1 2017 Mazda MX 5

No doors needed,

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Jim, Not FWD but check out this little car:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-02 03:12 PM by 260mgb.

Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Thanks Jim, that was very interesting, especially the way he was able to make the Miata suspensions work with it, the steering, and some of the other details. Lots of work that, but it's looking pretty successful. I didn't quite catch what he was doing for reverse.

I have a search running on ebay for that Honda 500 SxS and maybe something wrecked will show up eventually. No hurry there. So far it's the best prospect I've found for running gear.Who knows what shape the body will eventually take, given the restrictions. 8ft maximum length, that's a severe restriction. Basically the size of a sheet of plywood.

Jim

Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Jim, For reverse he plans chain or gear drive starter motor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-03 01:14 PM by 260mgb.

Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Yes, I can see where that would work. Noisy. Might want some sort of lockout based on vehicle motion and the clutch pedal being in. Maybe a button on the shifter knob. The 500 has reverse built in.

Jim

Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Jim, Yeah, I've seen 4 to 1 chain drive somewhere. Much quieter.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links