Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
The Goblin was a "parasite" fighter designed to be carried in the bomb bay of the B36 Peacemaker. What would you call a similar sort of car?

Anyway, supposing one was to build such a car one of the first requirements would be an extremely compact drivetrain. Clearly at present the most compact configuration known is the transverse engine/transaxle arrangement. So assuming vehicle weight could be kept down into the 1000-1500lb range, a 1 liter engine should prove sufficient. It could be placed either in the front or the rear of the car.

So the question becomes, what is available? Supposing as well that more modern technology is generally going to have a higher power output, is there a unit that could make this a feasible build?

If you don't mind, give some thought to some of the less well reviewed vehicles you have seen and make suggestions.

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Jim, Look at the Subaru Justy. Similar to Geo Metro. Very compact. FWD and 4WD versions. I had a 88 for a commuter car for years. Mine was 5 speed but the Auto was CV type. VW Rabbit/Dodge Omni. Had a Dodge Omni for years too. A little larger though.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Hadn't considered that one Jim, as a 3 cylinder it couldn't very well be a boxer could it. Might work in the 2wd configuration but as auto is desirable it appears the CVT could be a problem. Still, worth some thought. I don't know much about the Justy, how similar is it to the Geo Metro?

Know of any ~1000cc bikes with a reverse? That could be another possibility, although weight could be an issue as might shifting.

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
I think they all use the Suzuki designed 3 cylinder. Not sure if all parts interchange between the Geo, Suzuki and Subaru.

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Ford does make an engine where the block fits in carry-on luggage.

Pete

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Pete, is that the Ecoboost, or an earlier engine? When did they start making is? And is the block aluminum?

Might have to start looking at Fiestas as a possible donor I understand the turbo versions of that engine can output about 140hp and may weight in around 80lbs? Could be the transmission is heavier than the engine.

Jim

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
One liter Ecoboost.

Then there is this from Nissan,

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/28/nissan-three-cylinder-race-engine/

twentyover Avatar
twentyover Greg Fast
Lives in SoCal, Resides in the Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3889251 by Jim Blackwood ...

Know of any ~1000cc bikes with a reverse? That could be another possibility, although weight could be an issue as might shifting.

Jim

Gold Wing got reverse maybe 15-20 years ago

Or use an electric reverse (starter motor driving a ring gear) like some bike engined Locosts do

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 11:05 AM by twentyover.

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB ~ For Sale ! ~
2014 Dodge Charger
If you're not stuck on FWD, Goldwing, or pick up one of those new ugly-ass 3 wheelers that's been in a wreck. Dime a dozen. Slingshot, Can-AM, etc...

https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/polaris/slingshot
https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/can-am

Otherwise 78-80 Omni/Horizon (VW powered from the factory), early VW, etc... if you're looking for a very narrow chassis.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 01:12 PM by B-racer.

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
This Subaru Justy Buggy build shows how compact the powertrain is:

http://subarujusty.proboards.com/thread/2684

jimandcassdavis Avatar
jimandcassdavis Silver Member Jim Davis
Swanton, OH, USA   USA
Off topic, but the following "kit" car uses a Chevy Cobalt drivetrain and parts from the donor car. There is even a supercharged version of this engine.

http://dfkitcar.com/

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
I was going to put a Jeep body similar to this (a little bigger though) on the Subaru Justy powertrain:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 01:46 PM by 260mgb.

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Or mini Ford Bronco body for $2000:

Attachments:
mini ford bronco.jpg    83.6 KB
mini ford bronco.jpg

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
I thought of Jim B when I saw this one:

Attachments:
BRONCOMONSTERGOLFCART.jpg    64.7 KB
BRONCOMONSTERGOLFCART.jpg

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Jim:

Is it possible that you are approcing this from the wrong perspective? Maybe instead of shrinking the tender, you should up-size the yacht?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster