AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
grinning smiley

'Cept he already bought the yacht.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
The Justy looks interesting, but an automatic is a requirement and didn't those have a CVT which wasn't very reliable?
Also not very common.
The Gold Wing of course being a shaft drive is not going to be very compact unless it is rwd and unless I go with awd I'd rather eliminate the driveshaft. Also not automatic.
Slingshot of course is 1wd so that's an issue, but the Can AM is interesting. I have a CoPart a few miles away, so it would probably be best to try getting something from them. They don't have any Can-Am's though.
The Cobalt kit doesn't look especially compact in the engine area from what I could see but I couldn't see much.
Making progress though.

Jim

Jim Blackwood Avatar
What I'd like to do is to pull the drivetrain out of one of these cars and then cut down the Chump car body (MGB roadster) to go in it and fit in the luggage bay. RWD might be the best package, possibly using a fwd drivetrain.

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
There is a company that sells the Justy CVT. For the occasional use they would be OK. I wouldn't drive it across country. I think the issue was the steel chain similar to a transfer case chain and electro magnetic coupling. The rebuilders offer a 3 year warranty.

http://www.dustysjustys.com/drivetrain.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 04:21 PM by 260mgb.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Yeah, that's a bit steep. I can't help thinking there's going to be a cheaper alternative considering the you-pull sells them for $136 including the core. Probably better to get an entire vehicle.

Jim

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Jim, You could get the parts and rebuild yourself also. I paid $500 for mine and drove it back and forth to work every day for 3 years plus pulled behind the motorhome. Very reliable, only replaced clutch and starter the whole time. Averaged about 40mpg. It was the 5 speed manual 4x4. Pushbutton on shifter for 4WD. Very good in snow with studded snow tires. Subaru has non replaceable UJoints and usually you exchange the whole driveline. I found a place in California that sells a driveline with replaceable UJoints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-13 09:13 AM by 260mgb.

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
A mid-engine MGB would be a real interesting concept.

My pick for a drivetrain would be out of a Subaru. A donor Subie should be pretty inexpensive, especially one with an automatic.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Quote: A mid-engine MGB would be a real interesting concept...
That's already been done - ...it's called an MGF/MGTF

Attachments:
MGF-MGTF.jpg    12 KB
MGF-MGTF.jpg

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Those are pretty rare over here. Saw a LHD Canadian version at the last GOF and it looked like a fun car. Finally old enough to import to the USA, though getting it registered could be a challenge in some states. Emissions certs and such could derail you in California.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
Lotus Avatar
Lotus Silver Member Roy Hodgson
Villeneuve, VD, Switzerland   CHE
1974 MG MGB "Butterscotch"
Not quite sure what you are looking for but there are lots of 4WD Quads available, petrol, diesel and electric. What about re-bodying one of them as a nice little roadster/coupe etc.?

We have two lives. The second one starts when you realize you only have one.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3890249 by ex-tyke
Quote: A mid-engine MGB would be a real interesting concept...
That's already been done - ...it's called an MGF/MGTF

I got to take one for a short drive from the show field back to the hotel at MG 2016 in Louisville, KY. Fun car!

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Actually not a bad thought. Finding a suitable donor for an affordable price might be the biggest issue, Something like a Polaris Ranger 400 would be about the right width. The length would need to be reduced a few inches which could be possible by removing the roll cage. The height could be the main problem so the trick would be to rebody it in such a way as to meet the 30" height requirement for transport.

Jim

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"

Pete

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Yeah those are all too tall. Needs to be a 2 seater too.

However, the polaris has got me thinking. Those mostly have an automatic transmission and a 2 cylinder engine, weigh in around 1000-1300lbs with a 1000lb+ payload. That is at least in the ballpark.

Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster