Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Morty Avatar
Morty Shawn Morton
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Thanks Jim I think I got it, any chance you can post a few pictures?

Shawn

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
I'll try. Lots of things in the way so you can't see much but here you go. Now as you can see I didn't make them with the extra spacer below the cushion which is why I recommend it. The next set for the 300 will have that feature.
Also, the bottom plate is doubled and as you can see I also added a metal spacer above. Lots of possible variations on the theme.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-09 03:43 PM by Jim Blackwood.

Attachments:
IMG_0006.JPG    29.3 KB
IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG    24.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0008.JPG    15.8 KB
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Chris Gill had some good pics on his version of your mount, Jim.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Blackwood Avatar
I remember that. Sometime, possibly before spring I will be swapping a 300 into my car, will make up a new set of mounts at that time, and may even consider offering a kit. If I do it will include the pilot drill, holesaw and a few other nice little extras to make the job easy, and of course I'll get some good photos then. I know that doesn't help now, but just thought I'd mention it.

The reason for pulling the 340 out is that I don't like the copper head gaskets and need to turn down the rear seal journal to the optimal size for the 2 piece neoprene main seal which means the crank has to come out. This also has prompted me to complete the underslung blower install and as that will be built on the 300 I may consider a kit for that as well, since I already have one customer who is interested. We'll see where that goes.

But regardless, I'm almost certain there is room to space the whole stack up 1" and leave room underneath for a wire bundle. Doing this with a metal spool might be the cleanest approach.

Jim

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Okay. Cost me an hour of my Saturday.

Jim Blackwood's front engine mounts, Chris Gill's CAD mounts, & finally Chris' finished Blackwood inspired mounts:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-10 11:53 AM by V8MGBV8.

Attachments:
Jim Blackwood Engine Mounts.JPG    41.4 KB
Jim Blackwood Engine Mounts.JPG

Chris Gill CAD Engine Mount.jpg    30.6 KB
Chris Gill Front Engine Mount.jpg    26.8 KB
Chris Gill Front Engine Mount 2.jpg    31 KB
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Yep, now if you noticed there is one more detail I'd forgotten.

What we did was box in the top of the frame rail. It's easy to do, just a flat piece of 16ga sheet metal bolted to the front crossmember bolt with the edges folded over and mig welded in place before drilling the pilot hole. Or you can wait to weld it and weld the tube to the top of the frame rail first, that could be a little more rigid but probably not much. Either way, that adds a bit of stiffness to the frame extension which is a good idea with the more powerful engines.

Jim

Morty Avatar
Morty Shawn Morton
Thanks Carl

I'm a convert, I have some ideas know and some time to refine them too. I'm going to combine the right side mount with the alternator bracket.
Any consideration to making them adjustable or am I over engineering something? Neil when you get going on your mounts we should talk.

Shawn

Walrus1954 Avatar
Walrus1954 Neil Peniston
Those are the best photographs of the mounts that I have seen on the web!. Thanks for posting.

Chris, those appear to be rather 'beefy" mounts. I am going to use 3/16 mild steel for the section that bolts to the heads and possibly go to 1/4 in for the foot and gusset. Hopefully they should be strong enough. Not going to be dealing with 300+ horse power.

Shawn, I have just ordered a set of universal engine mounts made by Energy Suspension on Amazon and they should be here in the next day or two and then I will get on with manufacturing the mounts. I will be asking one of my friends to do the welding as I do not trust my skills with that aspect of the project.

Cheers, Neil.

Morty Avatar
Morty Shawn Morton
Neil
What mount did you get from energy ? I can't believe how much stuff they offer! I'm thinking I can get sway bar bushings from them too.
I'll be finishing up the little bit of tin repair and fender flairs this week so the priority will be to get the the engine mounts and suspension looked after next.
I'm not putting as much horse power to the ground as the rest of you guys but I'm considering any tramping bars on the the rear axel. the car has parabolic springs and i'm worried the bars might interfere with how they work. any thoughts? Sorry off topic.

Shawn

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Not sure about the Energy cushions, but the McMasterCarr ones have a 3/8" gap for the upper mount's foot so a 3/8 to 1/2" foot is needed. That's why the foot on Chris' mount is so thick and why mine has a 1/4" spacer. I think his is 3/8, mine is 1/4" (2x7ga). I used aluminum for my spacers. The use of stainless for my mounts let me reduce the thickness from 3/16 to roughly 1/8". It helps when mounting accessories and aligning belts. It's plenty strong, but note that the gussets are larger. They don't have to be quite that big but I wouldn't be happy with Chris' on the thinner material.

There is no adjustability fore/aft or side/side but up/down is easier to do than with any other mount type. So be certain your location is correct. A transfer punch used through the center bolt hole of your cushion installed in the mount generally works well if you take the time to be sure it is centered.

That should be all you need.

Jim

Walrus1954 Avatar
Walrus1954 Neil Peniston
Shawn,

The Energy Suspension part # is 9.4101G. I am not sure whether they will work or not as they have not arrived yet. However they were only $27.00 Canadian ( that's about 10c US !!!) so I thought I would take a chance on them.

I will let you know about them later.

As a back up I have also ordered a set of engine mounts from a Jeep CJ 3 Part # AMO 2040. They fit perfectly on the frame rail however they require 2 bolts through the rail.

Cheers, Neil.

Walrus1954 Avatar
Walrus1954 Neil Peniston
New mounts ! Fit great. I have not mounted then to the frame yet as the final position is yet to be determined.

Thanks to Jim for the original idea!

Cheers, Neil.

Attachments:
IMGP3111.JPG    56 KB
IMGP3111.JPG

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Morty Avatar
Morty Shawn Morton
Neil

Those look great, I'm just finishing up the body work and will be on to the few mechanical bits soon.

Shawn

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Those look very good Neil. Be mindful of your wiring, you will want space to sneak the bundle past the mount.

Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster