Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
John,
On the clutch fork you picture it is a fairly common measure to weld a small plate on the back, over the dome for the pivot. to prevent any chance of loss of clutch due to it wearing through.
The type of release bearing is either flat face, convex face, plastic carrier body or metal body.
The shape of the face is determined by the shape of the ends of the "fingers" on the pressure plate........spoon ends = flat face, ..........plain ends = convex.
The metal carriers are are said to be better.
But do get a good clutch. There are a lot of very poor efforts, some which have been supposedly "reconditioned!!
Stick with branded ones; e.g., Borg & Beck, and check before you install.
I recently had some clutch issues on my 3.9. When I removed it, less than 1/2 of the friction material had ever been in contact with the pressure plate..................the latter was a long way from being flat!!!!!!
The replacement came from the TVR supplier, Racetech and flat as a billiard table.

soonerv8

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
JonPiz Avatar
JonPiz Jon Pizzala
Chelmsford, essex, UK   GBR
This is the pressure plate

1978 MGB GT

Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg    44.5 KB
s-l1600.jpg

Yes No Thank
tr8mgbv8 jim s
sanford, NC, USA   USA
replace cam and lifters. these typically wear at around 50,000 miles. the engine will run but performance will be down.

Yes No Thank
allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
If you are intending to re-use the pressure plate, put a straight edge across the friction surface, if it's not "dead" flat, bin it!!! Even a slight discrepancy takes a lot of miles to "bed in"! Mine had done 8k!!!
It has flat fingers so you need a convex bearing, judging by the marks, that's what it had.

soonerv8

Yes No Thank
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Gold Member Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
When it comes to cam wear, I had a man @ my shop that BUILT engines from the 1945 till the day he died. I showed him what was going on with the Buick/Rover cams. WE found that the base circle is too small & the cam wear out the lifter & then the lifter wears the cam out & wipes the lobe off the cam. We change the LIFTERS every 75,000 miles, I would pull the lifters & they would go straight to Carl's (engine builder) bench & he would pick up a magnifying glass & look at (all 16) of the lifter base wear & tell me that the lifter was DONE, needed to de changed, had not hurt the cam AT ALL, put new lifters in & go with it! I have my FIRST Rover V8 that I built (1983) & put in my 74.5 GT & ran that engine 400,000 miles & I put 4 sets of lifters in it, on the SAME CAM! I am now on the 3rd set of lifters in my 3.9 Rover. Jon, if you pull the cam, wipe it down with a CLEAN oily rag mike it & if there is no wear, cam lobes look good, put the break in lube on the cam & new lifters & GO! I have now put 30-40 new set of NEW lifters on a USED cam & have not wiped a lobe off on start up, or have had a problem one with the cam. Jon, that Clutch P/P has very little use/miles on it with the wear on the fingers & I would reuse it as long as it is a Borg & Beck, if it is Q/H, THROUGH IT AWAY!!! I now have 711,000 miles on my first GT that I use every day for 36 years now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 07:43 AM by mgv8glen.

Attachments:
20150306_114823.jpg    24.9 KB
20150306_114823.jpg

20150430_150730.jpg    41.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMAG0566.jpg    40.4 KB
2087.JPG    73.2 KB
2106.JPG    87.5 KB
IMG_20111203_105511.jpg    78.2 KB
2185.JPG    71.2 KB
Yes No Thank
JonPiz Avatar
JonPiz Jon Pizzala
I got both heads off and took the cam followers out. Some have completely flat faces and some are slightly dished so I guess both cam and followers should be changed. There is a slight lip on the bore, but it is only slight but I might have a rebore so I know it back to new and get the crank done at the same time

1978 MGB GT

Yes No Thank
JonPiz Avatar
JonPiz Jon Pizzala
Thank you all for your help and advice on this, its definitely the unknown as far as Im concerned

1978 MGB GT

Yes No Thank
JonPiz Avatar
JonPiz Jon Pizzala
Finished fully stripping the engine today. I reckon it has stood for a while as the oil was very thick and a bit stringy bit like snot!!. I measured the bores which look fine and they were all about 88.9mm. The main bearings were 58.4, 58.4, 58.37 and 58.4. The big ends were all between 50.80 and 50.84.

I plan to rebuild with all standard stuff as there were no scores on the bores or on the crank. I will get the heads skimmed though and fit new valve guides and springs.

Lets hope the gear box is in decent condition as well.

1978 MGB GT

Yes No Thank
mgv8glen Avatar
Dover, DE, USA   USA
I valve guides hold up real good cheek then close, rocker arms are the week link & quite ofen need to be changed. Are you sure that it is a 9.35 C/R ? Hear in the states all we see is 8.13, if it is 9.35 with the steel shim head gasket, the 3.5 makes good power & you do not have to run high test gas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 01:23 PM by mgv8glen.

Yes No Thank
JonPiz Avatar
JonPiz Jon Pizzala
Is it all of the rocker arms inc the shafts?

It is the steel head gasket.

1978 MGB GT

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Yes, the shafts wear as well. The SD1 3.5 did have 9.35 CR. That is what Jim Watson's car had in it.

Yes No Thank
mgv8glen Avatar
Dover, DE, USA   USA
Out of the 50-60 SETS of rocker shafts we have rebuilt ALL the shafts had to be changed & 1 set of rockers & shafts both were bad, he never changed oil.

Yes No Thank
JonPiz Avatar
JonPiz Jon Pizzala
Well I dropped the heads in yesterday to be acid dipped, skimmed, new valve guides and new exhaust valve seats so it can run on unleaded. After discussion I decided to have the block rebored to +20 thou with new pistons and rings. I managed to get hold of some low mileage complete rocker assemblies with no wear to the shafts.

1978 MGB GT

Yes No Thank
mgv8glen Avatar
Dover, DE, USA   USA
All the Rover 3.5, 3.9, 4.2, 4.0 & 4.6 & even the OLD Buick/Olds. stock factory heads have hard exhaust valve seats. I put Rover exhaust valves on Buick seats, no problem.

+1 Yes No Thank
  JonPiz thanked mgv8glen for this post

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster