Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JonPiz Avatar
JonPiz Jon Pizzala
Chelmsford, essex, UK   GBR
Ive been offered a 3.5 Rover V8 with 135k miles on it. Its from a Land Rover so probably not thrashed so is this mileage too high and what would need doing/replacing?

1978 MGB GT

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
In reply to # 3886821 by JonPiz Ive been offered a 3.5 Rover V8 with 135k miles on it. Its from a Land Rover so probably not thrashed so is this mileage too high and what would need doing/replacing?

Who knows until you look inside or hear it running. FWIW there are a few issues with the non cross bolted engines. When I was sourcing a V8 I visited a local Land Rover retailer/wrecker and was told that they could never guarantee that a used motor wasn't suffering from cracked block between the cylinders so they always sourced a new block from Turners rather than spend the time pulling a block down to check. For that reason I bought a rebuilt worked 500 rather than chance it.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 05:28 AM by MGB567.

allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
3.5's were less prone to cracking around the liners. If it's come from a LR (which?) it will be a so called "stiff block" which suffered less fretting of the main bearing caps.
The bores and crank often show little wear, even at this mileage, but depends on frequency of oil changes. But the top end is the weakness, cam, chain, followers rockers and the valve guides. These will need replacing. If you're lucky and it's a cared for engine, a hone of the bores with new rings, a polish of the crank and new shells might be all that is necessary.

soonerv8

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Simon Austin Avatar
Good advice from the guys, Jon.

Allan’s comment about “well-cared for” is key. The 1980 SDI 3.5 that I used for my car had not being well-cared for and needed a rebuild. Of particular interest was the valve train and the lifters. 12 of the 16 were virtually rounded off and little evidence of lobes was non-existence.

Is the engine still in the LR and possible to hear it run?

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Do a leak-down test.
Pull the distributor and spin the oil pump with a 1/2" drill to check the oil pressure.
Those two things will tell you a great deal about the condition of the engine but can't tell you if there's a slipping liner.

Jim

allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
Jon,
The year of your engine will to some extent determine it's likelihood to suffer from a loose liner, but as I said earlier it was less common on 3.5's. The 3.9's, had more metal machined out to accommodate a bigger liner, hence less metal to grip the liner, especially if the block had suffered some core shift. After having problems with lifting liners, L R started ultrasound measuring wall thickness and grading the blocks.
Loose liners are fixable with top hat liners, at a cost of course!!!.
The major thing which would condemn a block is mainly the result of a thrashed engine, ie., the main bearing caps have lost their register in the block due to movement caused by the block flexing. Otherwise known as 'fretting"!

soonerv8

JonPiz Avatar
JonPiz Jon Pizzala
Thank you all for your advice, I shall take care when deciding

1978 MGB GT

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
It likely needs a complete overhaul. Like Allan said, you can count on the cam, lifters, & timing chain being worn out.

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Gold Member Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
I have a Rover 3.9 that has 125,000 miles on it & the trans went out on the SUV & was parted out. Ran fine with good oil pressure, oil had been changed & the engine had clean valve covers & heads. Did the leak down test & the test was good, pulled the pan & bearings were in O/K to good condition but I changed them. Cam had 1 wiped lobe & I changed the cam, lifters & timing change assem. & I looked at the liners & all looked good. Rockers had no wear & I re used them. I left the used rings & main bearings. Heads were gone through with new valve springs & valve job. With todays oil the rings hold up good & I am sure this engine will go another 200,000 miles with the used rings. I have done this with more than a few of the rover engines, that I have used in MY MGs. but I will not do this with a customers car. FWIW

JonPiz Avatar
JonPiz Jon Pizzala
Well I bought an engine and gearbox. Not sure of the mileage but sometimes you just have to take a chance

1978 MGB GT

Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg    52.8 KB
s-l1600.jpg

s-l16003.jpg    61.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster