Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, FL, USA   USA
well now...… dontcha know the one of the only original parts on the car failed...……..the throttle cable, to many return springs. it had gotten stuck open on me once, very scary, new one has been ordered.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
slightly modified Avatar
slightly modified Silver Member Chuck Royer
Hayward, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "SLIGHTLY MODIFIED"
Hey Rich, I'm using a Mr. Gasket cable (cut down) on mine, carry an extra in trunk.-------------Chuck

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, FL, USA   USA
got my new cable yesterday...…..just added it to the pile of parts I have sittin around. don't know wuts wrong with me but I just don't have any motivation to do anything.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
Hey Rich, weird your feeling that way cause I just went through that. I'm 52 and I'm not used to feeling like that. No motivation and just generally feeling like I was in a rut. Some people might call it depressed but I don't know about that never had it before. I'm 100% service connected with 4 lower back operations. They retired me at 45 and believe me I rather be working. It lasted about 3 months and I just kept pushing myself and now finally I feel like myself again. The weather might have something to do with it. So now i'm looking forward to adding some hp to mgb. Keep your chin up and it will go away. You can always shoot a pm to vent if you need to. Good luck with yours brother.

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, FL, USA   USA
hey Billy thank you, I get like this from time to time but not like this. since they cut down on my pain meds I have more bad days than good days meaning being able to do anything. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-05 05:44 AM by madman.

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, FL, USA   USA
finally got around to fixing the throttle cable, even had enough ambition to make a spare......theres hope for me yet, as I sit here in pain. lotsa bending and twisting getting my fat non movable body up and under that gas pedal.....ha.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
You are an inspiration to all of us old farts.

Jim

GMATS Avatar
GMATS GERALD MATLIN
palm beach gardens, FL, USA   USA
Speaking of old farts here’s something I have noticed of late. When I go to any “traditional” local car show most of the cars are American muscle and most of the people both those showing their cars and those attending are “older.” By my definition —- on Social Security. However, when I go to a Cars and Coffee get together that sometimes has more than 500 cars there is a wonderful mix of cars and people of all ages. Does that mean the American love affair with the automobile might still be alive and kicking?

I don’t mean to change the topic but simce I identify with Madman’s aches & pains and so many of us on this site are of the older generation (I’m almost 76) I just thought this might be a good place ask the Q.

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, FL, USA   USA
I think wut we do no matter how much it hurts that's wut keeps us going, even more so wen your retired and used up from this mess we call life. its good to see youngins into hot rods and such. we as a nation are losing to many craftsmen in all fields.

mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
2019 Subaru Crosstrek XV "Suki"
Here’s a thought. I’m old age 70, too fat 250+ lbs, with arthritis from a motor cycle wreck. I’m also lacking motivation at times.
Saturday I went to Panama City with a Church relief group. I witnessed first hand the total devastation down there. We helped three individuals with projects like cutting trees, clearing and stacking debris and removing a wet moldy ceiling.
I couldn’t work like the younger people but I did do a lot with some breaks to catch my breath and to get over my dizzy spell. Somehow my own problems don’t feel so big and I’m thankful for what I do have. Especially my family. Excuse me if that’s too Pollyanna but you can consider it fwiw. Try to find something that takes your mind off your own pain if only for awhile. The B is a good distraction but human interaction is way more satisfying. Maybe we can lift each other up a bit. May God give you some relief and joy in your life.

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, FL, USA   USA
FINALLY got around to changing the starter....yay it starts again. I also got around to opening the boxes of the mufflers and related parts and guess wut none of the pipes fit into each other so that's the end of that. im sending it all back and leaving it the way it is, not that there is anything wrong with it anyway, I just did not like the way it sounded but every body says it sounds bad ass. wuts on there now is 21/4 diameter I can always go to 21/2 and no fuss. getting lazy in my old age and moving on to other things, might even put it up for sale, lotsa spare parts and even a whole other car to go with it, somebody will score big time.

billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
Don't do it Rich, as soon as is rolls out the drive way you will want it back. So if you do sell it you will have a whole new project in that garage. so just wait and you won't be sorry. Think about it rather than starting all over you can just add to what you have. Just a thought, I thought about it a few times but my wife always talks me out of it. I guess i'm lucky cause after talking me out of selling the B she doesn't bitch about me spending more money on it. I must have a keeper.

madman Avatar
madman Rich c
Edg, FL, USA   USA
sooooooo fixing one crack on the drivers side header turned into a major repair. this is wut happens wen the parts you spend good money on are crap. header pipes rotted from the inside out, the more I welded the bigger the holes got, so wut to do as im not gonna remake it, cut up some sheetmetal, shaped it round, welded it over bad pipes. does not look pretty but the header is fixed and way stronger than it was. once its wrapped you will never know. it just sucks that the header is barely 2 years old and I need to make new ones if I keep the car. bought that header kit from speedway and its just crap. if you stare at the pipes long enough you can see them rust before your eyes....ha. its just getting to me after spending a lot of money on parts that do not seem to last ,frustrating to say the least. seems you cant buy anything made or rebuilt in the usa anymore, everything comes from fuckin china and 90% of it is crap. even most of the restoration parts for our mgs are made in china. ok im done rant over, im done restoring cars......getting to old for this shit, wen im done converting my solstice to turbo [yes I bought all the parts made in USA] that it no more projects, just put me out to pasture im done.

mstemp Avatar
mstemp Silver Member Mike Stemp
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Been told that wrapped pipes rust fast, as you have now seen! Especially in your humid climate.

40indianss don foote
2walla wa, USA   USA
I had heard that to be a problem also. Therefore ceramic coating on mild steel headers or stainless construction is preferable

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 MG Midget

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links