MG Engine Swaps Forum

New type power

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Cocoa, FL, USA   USA
I would consider using my 74 mgb as a candidate for a new age,type power plant Porto type. I know electric seems to be all the rage right now but I would like to think way outside the box. Neuclear,steam,magnetic,hydro I don't know but I'm sure there's an inventor out there.Where are you Doc. Brown?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
I think there are probably one or two people in that thread that have some idea of what they are talking about and the rest are your typical idiots who just want to talk. Steam does have advantages, also disadvantages so you have to build to accentuate the first and minimize the second. True with any technology.

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
twentyover Avatar
twentyover Greg Fast
Lives in SoCal, Resides in the Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   USA
Fuel Cell? Or too close to electric?

MGBSS Avatar
MGBSS Joe Schafer
Mt Pleasant Michigan, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
Hydrogen

What happened to the Hydrogen craze Remember when Schwarzenegger was going to build the Hydrogen Highway

MG four six eight Avatar
MG four six eight Bill Jacobson
WA, USA   USA
A friend of my Dad's has several Stanley Steamers. Most are beautifully restored and are very interesting/neat cars. Went for a ride in one a couple of times and they have instant torque and are very quiet (except for when the boiler comes up to temp)
Having said that, it is a process to get one up and running. According to the owner though their biggest limitation is water range, apparently they require refilling fairly often which isn't an issue in Western Washington but could be in places like Death Valley!

Bill

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
fussion for the win.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
All Hail the mighty "B" cam!
Is there anything that the B cam cannot do?

Jim

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3889189 by Jim Blackwood I think there are probably one or two people in that thread that have some idea of what they are talking about and the rest are your typical idiots who just want to talk. Steam does have advantages, also disadvantages so you have to build to accentuate the first and minimize the second. True with any technology.

I thought the post by "BearA" was informative. I came away agreeing that maybe modern steam power may be good for larger, heavier vehicles. Not so much for a small, light car like an MGB.

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
Can you imagine a steam powered car 'snowing' as it goes down a Minnesota road at this time of year? If it isn't releasing snow, then the water hits the road, instantly freezes and all cars behind it crash. Sounds more like an old-timey James Bond Steam-Punk Contraption for Minnesota.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB ~ For Sale ! ~
2014 Dodge Charger
Why not go back to redesigning the rotary engine? Set it up for bio-fuels. Alcohol.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

79 MGB EV Tom A
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
I converted my 79 MBG to electric power about 5 years ago. It has become my daily driver. Faster and more hp than the original. Check out www.loveev.com for photos etc.
If you are serious about something unique and a new power source you could make a Thorium powered car. United States developed this necular system in the 60's. Can not have a meltdown and Thorium is cheap as dirt unlike Urunium which costs more than gold. When it depletes tou just add more so no waste. You could run a car for 100 years nonstop on a small amount of Thorium. Maybe it will exist in 2050.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster