Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MTV Mick VOGELE
Cootharaba, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1975 MG MGB
OK Folks , Here I am Down under , during the test fitting of the 289 SBF into my MGB it became painfully apparent that the by pass oil filter was not going to fit . Let's just say the space between the oil filter location on the block and the chassis rail is small indeed . Can anyone recommend a by pass adaptor or other solution ? Regards Mick Queensland Australia

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tjt77 timothy Trevithick
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
the Rover/ buick engine in official factory (and earlier Costello conversion) has an adaptor to relocate the filter to right inner wheel well just behind Rad for same reason ..these adaptors are readily avail online for a variety of engines.... essentialy its a plate that bolts on the existing filter housing and had 2 threaded 'pipe thread' adaptors for the lines.. should be easy to find a remote filer set up down under.. lotso aircooled VWs had em retro fitted to beat the heat.. search eBay for 'remote oil filter conversion'.. good luck..

NNN Norman Nalepa
FL, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Chick Mobile"
Please in plain english please.. What v6/v8 would be the easiest to install in a 1979 MGB. By easiest I mean which engine would mount to the existing motor mounts. And fit into the engine bay without much modification. I am not the most qualified in this work so simplicity would be my friend. Also will I need to change out the transmission? And if so what would be the best match up. Being new to all this I really appreciate any help you can give me.

nnormann99@yahoo.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dbandel Avatar
dbandel Gold Member David Bandel
Glenwood, MD, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Norman,

Several vendors on this site sell complete engine swap kits but they will all require some level of fabrication. I don't believe (someone correct me if wrong) any of them can use the existing motor mounts. Easiest is going to probably be one of Bill Guzman''s 3.4L GM V6 kits which come with pretty much everything needed to get the engine and trans mounted. Your '79 shouldn't need any mods to the firewall either. I haven't used one of Bill's kits (http://www.classicconversionseng.com/MGB-V6-Conversion-Kits.htm) but they look well done.

-David

Not-Anumber Chris Silk
Southend, East Anglia, UK   GBR
Id like to do a GM 60 degree V6 conversion as there is good support for this mod.

Though there are plenty of GM cars with V6 engines in Europe most of these are the 54 degree engine - which the conversion kits don't seem to cater for.
I know that old Jeep Cherokees are a possible donor though. Does anyone know what years they had the 60 degree V6 and what the engines codes are that i should be looking out for.

Id like to keep the overdrive gearbox seeing as this was thought sufficient to cope with the original V8 B and Im not planning to go much beyond that in power. Is this an option though as most of the V6 conversions on here seem to use a T5 box.

tjt77 timothy Trevithick
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
I'd avoid the AMC V6 if you desire strong engine with decent power.. the GM V6 is reasonably close in design (apart from less power to weight ratio) to the B.O.P. 215 cu inch alloy V8 that Rover improved when they manufactured it under license in large numbers, whilst increasing its displacement and power output over some 4 decades in UK.. some folks here in USA use the German Ford 2.8 V6 as used in the US market 'mercury capri' ... those should be common in UK, but not close in availability, nor are conversion components as available as they are for the Rover V8.. reason that the T5 is a common choice with the GM V6 is one of common sense :- it bolts right up as it was the standard choice for manual gearbox power trains in S10 pick up and other awful GM vehicles.. good luck.

Not-Anumber Chris Silk
When I mentioned the Cherokee as a donor I was thinking of the 2.8 GM V6 engine which somehow got used in some early Cherokees. However, despite there being lots of Cherokees around in the UK, early cars with that engine do not seem to have survived.

I would like to use the European GM 3.2 V6 for which good donor cars are easy enough to find - but as far as i know there aren't any conversion parts and i have not read of anyone else who has put this in an MGB.

Jim Lema Avatar
Everett, WA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
Chris
The European GM 3.2 V6 is a dual overhead cam engine. Not sure it will fit inside the MGB engine bay. If you access to one of the engines measure from the center of the crankshaft to the top of the engine, width of the engine, and length of the engine. Also measure from center of crankshaft at the front to the bottom of the oil pan. Compare these to the measurements of the MGB engine as it sits in the car.

Not-Anumber Chris Silk
Thats good advice ideed. I will track down someone with one of these engines and find out dimensions.

RustyMGB Avatar
RustyMGB Russell P.
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Will the 1993 S10's 5 speed transmission fit under the 74 MGB GT tunnel or need cutting?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-02 06:31 PM by RustyMGB.

lonniekinser Avatar
lonniekinser No Name
Inana, Osana, Guam   GUM
1965 MG MGB
that trans is likely a Borg warner t5 and will fit in the tunnel confines no problem. But the gearshift lever is going to be a bit forward for an MGB. ...other tailshafts like the Camaro t5 are better and interchange. Its a good trans to use though.

Jim Lema Avatar
Everett, WA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
Some of the T-5 transmissions used in the Chevy S-10 were designed for 4 cylinder engines. They will not stand up to a V6 or V8 as the torque rating is lower than the output of larger engines. All S-10 T-5 transmissions have a crappy first gear. Here is a link to find out which T-5 you are looking at. T-5 ID tags

zack73gt Zack Herzer
Kentfield, CA, USA   USA
Hi,
I'm guessing that this has already been discussed, but I have a 1973 BGT and access to a 1995 Land Rover v8 and LT77. How well does this fit? Guessing the typical crossmember notch and either block hugger or through the fender headers. What do people usually do about steering shafts? I just saw a horrid example on a TR4 with a v6 swap where the shaft had 2 or 3 U-Joints. Any other considerations as far as fitting it in the bay?
Replies to my specific case are much appreciated.
Thanks,
Zack

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Probably one of the more frequent questions.
The Tranny will require bumping the top of the transmission tunnel upwards some. How much depends on how low the engine is mounted and the height of the tailshaft. There is a seam that needs to be flattened and you may need more besides. It should not be necessary to cut the crossmember, but some have found it useful to trim the bottom of the tailshaft housing (T-5, may apply to Rover 5 speed). A T5 fits without having to bump the tunnel.

The front shelf will most likely need to be trimmed and the radiator moved forward. RV8 style headers are advised. Modification of the steering may or may not be required depending on engine position. These mods range from slight changes to rack pinion length and universal joint swaps to replacement of the firewall cone with late model ones. Any competent machine shop can mod the pinion. I suggest the late model u-joint (shorter) and slightly repositioning the lower column mount if that clears.

You are likely to have an issue with the oil filter as well. An alternative oil pump cover can solve this problem.

Jim

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3444702 by zack73gt
I'm guessing that this has already been discussed, but I have a 1973 BGT and access to a 1995 Land Rover v8 and LT77. How well does this fit? Guessing the typical crossmember notch and either block hugger or through the fender headers. What do people usually do about steering shafts? I just saw a horrid example on a TR4 with a v6 swap where the shaft had 2 or 3 U-Joints.

Discussed? It has been done many, many times over the years.

http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/v8_conversions/rogv8.html

http://www.britishv8.org/Photos-MG-Conversions.htm

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster