MGB V6 & V8 Conversion FAQ

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tjt77 timothy Trevithick
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
On 'bolt patterns':- the MGA (and B) utilizes a 4 1/2 " pattern.. common of ford, datsun and many others.. lots of possibilities for different axles exist.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rpierce Avatar
rpierce Russell P
Warner Robins, GA, USA   USA
1964 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Macau/ Kastner Tribute"
Thanks Tim and Earl, I referred to it as a "tribute" simply because the build was as much about honoring Kas Kastner as it was the Macau itself. Much pain staking effort went into building the car to the was it was when raced under Kas while here in the US. He was a huge consultant to us when building the car and seemed pleased with the results when we did an unveil with him in May 2015 at Summit Racetrack during the Kastner Cup races.

As for the body choice for the MG build, the MGA is really my only choice. I purchased one when I was 18 many years ago and even bought a 66 Mustang with a 289 with the intent to swap over the engine. At some point I realized I had no idea at 18 on how to achieve this and sold them both. The main idea is to increase the horsepower closer to 200 without increasing the weight. Having replaced the original Spitfire four with the GT6 engine I had to make several weight adjustments to balance it out.

I'm essentially looking for an aluminum block engine that will fit nicely and not throw off the weight or require a computer brain as the newer engines do. Don't plan to push it hard so a MGB diff should work for my plans.

what I'm really after is a look similar to the Kurtis 500KK but keeping the stock MGA grill (mesh insert of course).

Earl, do you know if thee 79 V6 was an aluminum block?

thanks again,

Attachments:
Kurtis 500KK 2.jpg    32 KB
Kurtis 500KK 2.jpg

Floridacarbuff Avatar
Floridacarbuff Silver Member Earl Chrysler
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
1939 Graham Model 116 "Mako"
1959 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Le Coupe"
Hi Russ -

To the best of my knowledge, the 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 GM 60 degree V-6 engines available to the general public had cast iron blocks and aluminum heads.

May I ask why you want to keep the MGA grille?

I replaced mine with a horizontal louver grille from the 1983-85 Dodge 600 series. It fits pretty well inside the standard MGA grille opening with very minor
metal work. Also, the horizontal louvers, painted the color of the car and with a small strip of chrome (tape) on the edge of the louvers blend the grille
opening and louvers into the front of the car and has the visual effect of making the car look lower and wider.

In comparison, the stock MGA grille says "Look at me!" and attracts attention to the blob of chrome in the center of the front of the car.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
14650013.JPG    55.9 KB
14650013.JPG

rpierce Avatar
rpierce Russell P
Warner Robins, GA, USA   USA
1964 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Macau/ Kastner Tribute"
Interesting, creates a look similar to a Chrysler Crossfire that I also have.
I'm not opposed to the MGA grill with the mesh insert painted. Particularly if the car is black and the grill is painted to match. My thoughts of leaving the grill was to suggest I was not making the car something it wasn't, just simply adding a few styling changes to give it an aggressive look. As you might notice from the Macau I'm not much of a traditionalist guy when it comes to cars (though I do appreciate them of other owners).

Attachments:
1200px-Chrysler_Crossfire_coupe_black_NC.jpg    50.3 KB
1200px-Chrysler_Crossfire_coupe_black_NC.jpg

LE VESINET, PARIS, France   FRA
1955 MG Magnette ZA "V8 SPECIAL"
hi : its like gardening i suppose: you just have to make a hole big enough for the roots;

the rest you just make up instead of counting the sheep;and get hold of the grinder after breakfast!

Attachments:
MAGNETTE BEFORE 002.jpg    58.3 KB
MAGNETTE BEFORE 002.jpg

MAGNETTE BEFORE 005.jpg    35.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MAGNETTE BEFORE 007.jpg    54.6 KB
MAGNETTE.jpg    65.4 KB
Jim Lema Avatar
Everett, WA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
Andrew De Bernes

Looks fantastic.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster