Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Engine Swaps Forum

MGB powered TD (I am not destroying a completely original car!)

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tom Bartlett Avatar
Double Springs, AL, USA   USA
1924 CycleKart American
1930 CycleKart Great Britain
1952 MG TD
1957 Lotus Seven "Lotus Seven Replica"    & more
Thanks for the many suggestions! I really love Ralph's example. You all have given me many ideas. I especially like the MGB front end for the disc brakes, and the MGB rear for the better gear ratio. I am picking up a MGB parts car next week, and although I am pulled toward keeping it all MG, I have an extra Toyota T-50 (5-speed) left over from my Lotus 7 projects. The T-50 shifts almost as smooth as a Miata and the ratios are ideal.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Years ago, there was a TD in our club that had an MGB engine & overdrive trans. Great driver.

A friend of mine is build in a TD with same, plus lowered MGB spindles & brakes. His neat twist is that he grafted the MGB pedal box into the TD firewall. Big improvement.

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
In that case, I would use a Toyota 3TC motor.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tom Bartlett Avatar
Double Springs, AL, USA   USA
1924 CycleKart American
1930 CycleKart Great Britain
1952 MG TD
1957 Lotus Seven "Lotus Seven Replica"    & more
Update on MGB powered TD:
Hard to believe that a year has passed, but it has been a fun year because of the project. I have installed the MGB engine, transmission, front suspension, and rear suspension. Then placed the body back on the frame. I am installing the suspended MGB pedals. Still having fun in retirement. Adding a few pictures.
Tom

Attachments:
Painted block 1.jpg    80.4 KB
Painted block 1.jpg

Outside with firewall left side3.JPG    46.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Radiator support bracket.jpg    60.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Tom, Very nice!

Boze Avatar
Boze Silver Member Rick Bosak
Twin Cities, MN, USA   USA
1966 Austin-Healey Sprite "Time Machine"
Wow great progress Tom. Looks like it's a runner already.

66 Sprite, "though she be but little, she is fierce"

markfavale Avatar
markfavale Mark Favale
Portland, CT, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
I am just finishing up a very similar project. I picked up a TD that someone had altered to fit in a V8. I picked up a new firewall and put a B engine in. I kept the original TD brakes and suspension.
There are several little hurdles, but nothing that can't be done. Let me know if you have any specific questions. One thing I can tell you that will save you some frustration is that the engine is going to have to be "rolled" or tilted counterclockwise (looking at it from the front) just a bit to clear the steering column.

Mark
Portland, CT
53 TD with an 18V

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster