Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Engine Swaps Forum

MGB powered TD (I am not destroying a completely original car!)

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tom Bartlett Avatar
Double Springs, AL, USA   USA
1924 CycleKart American
1930 CycleKart Great Britain
1952 MG TD
1957 Lotus Seven "Lotus Seven Replica"    & more
Hello all,
First time poster here (at least on this part of the forum). Similar to many others, I sold the first TD that I restored, mostly because it was finished and I wanted to move on to a new project. I needed the money for a new project. Cue the passing of many years, many projects, and most of my hair, and I still yearned for that old TD. I am attaching a photo of my first TD taken in January of 1966, one that I started while in the Air Force and continued while I was in graduate school. I kept it mostly original (except for the paint scheme) and actually detoured by Goleta, CA to visit Moss Motors back in the 70s. Over the years I drifted away from originality and sneaked into the dark world of modifying Little British Cars for more power and handling. So, having just finished two projects (scratch-built Lotus 7 replicas -see my home page) and cruising Craigslist I spotted the mutilated remains of a TD only about 100 miles away. The listing stated "Ford V8 powered MG TD project". I am attaching a photo that appeared in the ad. The car had been savagely hacked and altered to drop in a Ford V8, automatic transmission, and too-wide Ford 8.8 rear end. What I actually purchased was a trailer full of parts. I am attaching a photo of loading the project on my trailer. Once back at my garage, I inventoried the parts, gave the Ford engine, trans, and rear away, and started reading up on this forum about replacing wood and rebuilding the tub. One more picture of my start on the tub.
So, my plans are to find a rusty/parts MGB and transfer the engine, running gear, and most of the suspension to the TD frame. But I could not have come this far without the incredible resources on this forum. If I have offended some, I apologize, but the offended ones would have suffered a fatal attack if they had seen the shape the project was in when I purchased it. My real interest is in driving and enjoying, not originality.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Fifty years later.jpg    51.9 KB
Fifty years later.jpg

Craigslist engine.jpg    19.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MG 178.JPG    59.7 KB
Tub build.jpg    51.9 KB
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Thought about a Volvo and 5speed?

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
Consider the earlier MGB or MGA gearbox for tunnel space. I can personally Tell you space is tight and this makes it easier.

I have a number of TD parts that might help too.

Been there done that too.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
You've come to where we are not offended - have at it!

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
They let me hang around here, so no worries that you will offend anyone! We like our sacred cow medium rare.

Pete

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
You also might want to consider using some Miata parts.

Jim

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
I think that for better or for worse, the T series cars are selling for not much money. If someone wants to build a hot-rod, there is no need to start with a pile of junk when there are solid cars looking for a new home.

Pete

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Richard Fawthrop
Langley, WA, USA   USA
I worked on one once for a customer. I rebuilt the carbs and flushed out the fuel system.
I never raised the car on the hoist.
I remember it having a synchronized first gear.
I liked it.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"the T series cars are selling for not much money."

Yeah going for good B money here, TF a bit more and only one TC (but this is not the only website).

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

mg man 75 Avatar
mg man 75 maurice sallee
Campbellsville, Central Kentucky, USA   USA
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?46,2619401

I done a quick search seems the Volvo idea is a better swap. Good luck with the project. Maurice

rocket ralphie Avatar
rocket ralphie ralph zbarsky
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
Go for it...! MGTD, supercharged B engine, O/D, twincam wheels, hubs, rear end, MGA interior, fuel cell, beer cooler......

Attachments:
F54D9A3E-AB1E-445F-A77E-92FB62E23465.jpeg    60.2 KB
F54D9A3E-AB1E-445F-A77E-92FB62E23465.jpeg

0FAB2EEA-5204-4EAB-A420-A144BD44D798.jpeg    55 KB
6CC84954-2138-44B5-839D-51B0C6C9DBB5.jpeg    68.4 KB
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Isn't the blower supposed to be out in front of the radiator?

Jim

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Yes, it is, IF you happen to have a PA.

http://www.britcars.net/DavisP5.html

momsauto Avatar
momsauto Gold Member Dan Craig
Ozark, MO, USA   USA
1953 MG TD MkII "Margaret"
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Michael"
1974 MG MGB GT V6 Conversion "Mel"
1978 MG MGB MkIV "McGregor"    & more
Hi Tom I have worked on a TD for a customer that is built as you planned. His uses a crossflow head and Webbers with a T9 transmission and a MGA rear end. Front end is MGB. Builder added a rear disc brake conversion and a remote brake booster. Hydraulic clutch conversion is a bit crude but functional. T9 fits well in the stock tunnel. Happy to share some pics if needed when we get home

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster