Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Engine Swaps Forum

MGB 3.4L V6 Swap. Original PCM or Megasquirt ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
I don't see the need to use the older block when the 3400 block has a roller cam and crossbolted mains? It would be much easier to use the entire 3400 motor. Maybe to upgrade an existing motor? I know the motor mounts are different.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Paul755 Paul H
Fairfax, VA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB MkIII
1979 MG MGB MkIV "Nemesis"
Thanks. It's more that I already have the CCE RWD installation kit. I"ll do some research on what I need to do to get a FWD block in the MGB.

In reply to # 3889804 by 260mgb I don't see the need to use the older block when the 3400 block has a roller cam and crossbolted mains? It would be much easier to use the entire 3400 motor. Maybe to upgrade an existing motor? I know the motor mounts are different.

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
This is not a bad way to go (didn't expect me to say that?) but this would be considered Scope Creep to many.

The basic costs of getting a driveline up and running is one thing but adding an engine rebuild/Build adds a whole new category to the project. So without trying to put the idea down, consider what you don't know as of yet.

If you are aiming for more power:
Are you aiming for a number such as XXX BHP?
-OR-
Are you aiming for a car to react in a certain way?

Something I have seen often is a number that sounds better to friends and those passing by at a car show, but is 'burnt up in tyre smoke'.

Building the engine a bit better in my case with the suspension, axle, wheels, tires, brakes would have gained another a few seconds on the hillclimb (track) last September, but also having the street tires replaced with something less than 9 Years old would have also done that. Had I stuck new autocross or race tires on the car, I might have lost more like 4-6 seconds. If I didn't have the traction that I already have and other things about my car built, the power would have been wasted in smoke. My 3.4L engine has been Badly abused and it's still about a 0-60 in 6 seconds. Adding more BHP would be useful yes, but better driving skills with what I already have will also prove to be useful.

Is it great to build this engine that is being spoken about?
Yes, if the rest of the car is being built to exceed this power level.

I have said many times, if you want to build a 600BHP MGB with stock suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, and everything else- from 0-50 (or 60), I'm probably going to beat you with my worn out 3.4L. After 60, you can pass me up but somewhere after 100 when the otherwise stock MGB starts to feel a bit squirrelly, I may pass you by as my car is Safer at higher speeds.

Don't build an engine- build a car. If you're going to build that engine, be prepared to build the car.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster