AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

circeonya Avatar
circeonya Malcolm Hill
Mt Eliza, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1931 Austin 7
1967 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Yellow Terror"
Put and Austin A40 engine in a 13 foot planing runabout boat for water skiing. Next was a 1500 B series engine in a 15 foot ski boat. The last was an Austin 1800 motor in a Haydon Hydradyne ski boat to replace a six cylinder Holden motor. The 1800 pulled skiers out of the water better and achieved the same or slightly better top speed than the Holden. All were rather crude conversions with a Jabsco pumping water through the block and injecting water into the exhaust manifold just above the tailpipe flange. We were having just as much fun and using half the fuel of our mates with their V8s.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
The B Series engine is one of the best, most reliable engines produced in its day. Compared to newer designs, it can't really be compared. For something designed in about 1950, redesigned, then redesigned another half dozen times or so it's actually decent and holds together with children who don't bother to maintain it. I believe the engine was even used up into the 1990s in India.

The engine design was restricted by accountants so they could make a profit but unlike todays population, you knew that Millions would not sell in just a few years so you had to produce to an item of lower quality than we are used to today, in a way to make a profit. That's slightly easier with higher population, more people with purchasing power, lower interest rates and when the dollar stretches further than it used to.

Other Government Restrictions: Bore size restricted by tax purpose by the British government (thus long stroke, narrow bore), Petrol costs with what here in the USA appear stupid ridiculously insanely expensive. As Ronald Reagan famously said: "I'm here from the Government, and I'm here to help." Well, help they did not, in these particular ways.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3886024 by BMC As Ronald Reagan famously said: "I'm here from the Government, and I'm here to help." Well, help they did not, in these particular ways.

Not exactly, Brian. You left out part of it. What Ronald Reagan actually said was: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. "

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
I believe it actually was used in forklifts, and was produced as a diesel as well. It has enough power for a small forklift, say about a 5000lb capacity and it's weight is an advantage.

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
You are correct Carl.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
dcraddock43 Gold Member Dave Craddock
Redford (Detroit), Mi., USA   USA
I reckon we should tread lighter on the lowly B engine, after all it has street driven,raced, and converted more and brought more fun than any other British car !!
We still luv our BEEEZ !!
Dave

Member Services:
Preform Resources,Inc./Dave Craddock, MGB composite parts, body kits ,front and rear valances, stock and RV-8 bolt on hoods ,many spridget parts as well. composite parts that FIT! 313-533-2457 http://preformresources.com/ preres@sbcglobal.net
circeonya Avatar
circeonya Malcolm Hill
Mt Eliza, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1931 Austin 7
1967 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Yellow Terror"
It was the sixties and in Australia's biggest inland lake system.there was a fleet of about 20 large hire cruisers with B series diesels. Those boats are all now in private hands and some of them still have the original B diesel.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster