MG Midget engine swap

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sisprite Geoff Hollands
Queensland, Australia   AUS
Just wondering what type of engines have been swapped into a Midget.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
+1 Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
When I was at MGLive! 2016 (Silverstone) there was a bunch of converted Midgets and a couple of Bugeyes all fitted with K series. IYI there's a K series currently listed on the local MG Buy Swap Sell site. If you search here you'll see the odd swap but Google might be better here eg.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Yes No Thank
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Does not seem to be a clear winner when doin a popularity poll of this subject. Anything from a old school Hemi to a Suzuki 1300 has been done. I did a Fiat 1600 with 5 speed in one many moons ago.

Pete

Yes No Thank
nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
Not an easy swap for most modern engines because they are simply too big . The K series seem to be a very popular swap on the other side of the pond . The older Datsun engine and transmission are a good fit but harder to find . I’m in the process of swapping in a GM 2.2 Ecotec engine and T5 transmission but it’s far from a “ bolt in “ requiring major modifications to fit , another member here has successfully done this swap and is up and running. I’m far from finishing mine . There are a lot of members here that have done swaps hopefully they post what they’ve done.

Yes No Thank
NSFW Avatar
NSFW Rob S.
Pembroke, MA, USA   USA
Ford Mustang II/Mercury Capri V6 and four speed is an older swap but an easy fit.

Yes No Thank
58custom Avatar
58custom Tom Crocker
Santa Clarita, SoCal, USA   USA
Probably the easiest, and so fairly common, is the Datsun A15/5 speed.

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,2613122

1969 MG Midget with Datsun A15/5 speed

Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA

Yes No Thank
mickri Chuck Losness
Squaw Valley, CA, USA   USA
I am swapping a Toyota 3tc with a Toyota t50 5 speed out of a 1982 corolla into my 1966 midget. Only requires a little bit surgery to the tunnel on the driver side for transmission clearance and a small bit in the passenger foot well to clear the slave cylinder. The cross member also has to come out. The engine easily clears the hood and the oil pan does not hang below the frame. You will need a tailshaft with the forward shift lever position from a late 70's corolla. As far as swaps go it is pretty straight forward.

Yes No Thank
Boze Avatar
Boze Silver Member Rick Bosak
Twin Cities, MN, USA   USA
1966 Austin-Healey Sprite "Time Machine"
Geoff I swapped in a Toyota 4A-GE 20 valve. 94 Toyota engine, 86 Corolla 5-spd trans, 75 Corolla trans tail housing, Mazda RX7 rear axle, 4-link coil over shock rear suspension, I love it, is a blast to drive but these units are getting harder to find. See my journal for pics. If I was starting today I think I would go Steve's Ecotec route. Any swap will be more work and years than you guess, you just have to enjoy the journey.

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,2467002

Lots more swaps here
http://www.britishv8.org/Photos-Austin-Healey-Conversions.htm

66 Sprite, "though she be but little, she is fierce"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-30 10:06 PM by Boze.

Yes No Thank
mickri Chuck Losness
Squaw Valley, CA, USA   USA
If you want to see a 3tc with SU carbs in a bug eye watch the video in this thread. https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,3875600

Yes No Thank
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Smallblock Ford Midget
All under the hood

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Yes No Thank
Boze Avatar
Boze Silver Member Rick Bosak
Twin Cities, MN, USA   USA
1966 Austin-Healey Sprite "Time Machine"
Just noticed a nice Zetec swap posted on the Midget page
https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mg-midget-forum.3/jlh-zetec-midget-finally-on-track.3897796/

66 Sprite, "though she be but little, she is fierce"

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 MG Midget MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links