AutoShrine Sponsor

theonlyiceman53 Avatar
theonlyiceman53 Bill Russell
FL, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Frankenstien"
1977 MG MGB "Wicked"
Hey,
Thanks for the heads up on this engine as I'd never heard of it. I've always liked the 460 because of the head design and lightweight. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of these.

Cheers,
Bill

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Richard Fawthrop
Langley, WA, USA   USA
I was thinking more along the lines of a used Shotgun motor with a couple of rods kicked out the sides for parts.
And a lot of epoxy to fill the runners.

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB ~ For Sale ! ~
2014 Dodge Charger
In reply to # 3879327 by Jim Blackwood The only real challenge I see is getting it to fit under the hood. Have you taken any measurements yet? I know it'll be tight but I'm really curious to know if it even looks possible.

Jim

If it warms up a bit I'll measure. Sub-zero here for a few days and both my B and the engine are in cold storage. I doubt it will fit, but I am looking at it as a swap motor for other applications as well. winking smiley

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
I know I compared dimensions once, maybe a year or so ago. It seems to me that the result was that with enough setback and cutting the crossmember there was some chance it could be fitted, but might need a hood scoop or bump. But laying it over at an angle might cure that. Exhaust on the passenger's side? That'd help. If it uses the same bell pattern a 460 bell might allow it. Got any photos?

I hear you about the cold. But there's sunshine today at least, I should try to get outside.

Jim

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
2014 Dodge Charger
Exhaust and starter are on the driver's side. Carb on the passenger side. The wind stopped blowing, so its only 0 outside now. I'll go open the garage and take a couple pics.

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
2014 Dodge Charger
Boat motors are inherently ugly. This one can be stripped of the huge front and rear motor mounts, power steering assembly and associated cooler, fuel pump, water cooled intake manifold, etc... Once you get down to the base motor, its not so bad. A Chevy bellhousing moves the starter to the passenger side with little effort. This opens room for a factory cast iron exhaust manifold. I already picked up a brand new manifold for $48, and it accepts a 2 1/2" pipe to give you an idea of size/displacement. I don't see why the stock intake won't work with some creative milling and lightening to eliminate the water cooling, then fit a FiTech 2 bbl system.

BTW, its 26" tall overall and 28" long overall front to back. The oil pan bottom is not flat - it would be if you rotated the valve cover over to the driver's side 10-15 degrees (rough guess). Now picture this engine with the block in bare aluminum and an alloy head.

Attachments:
merc1.jpg    57.5 KB
merc1.jpg

merc2.jpg    82.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
I think it's great that you have that to play with. Looking at the car in the shed, it appears to me that if you aren't too worried about the stock heater box you can just about fit that in a CB car with something like 3" of ground clearance under the pan. Maybe a bit more.

Sure would surprise a bunch of purists. Twice the displacement, 2-3 times or more the hp. Should be a lot of fun.

Jim

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
2014 Dodge Charger
I already have double the power from a stock motor with a roller cam and DCOE setup, heater delete. I'm not sure where this motor will get installed, but it WILL be installed somewhere...

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 3881559 by B-racer I already have double the power from a stock motor with a roller cam and DCOE setup, heater delete. I'm not sure where this motor will get installed, but it WILL be installed somewhere...

A series Land Rover?????

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (608) 223-9400 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
2014 Dodge Charger
...if I had one... And thanks Peter because I've always wanted one!!!

hpmowog Avatar
hpmowog Karl Keiger
How about an Austin A40 or a Morris Minor? Either one of those should have the vertical clearance.

In reply to # 3881559 by B-racer I already have double the power from a stock motor with a roller cam and DCOE setup, heater delete. I'm not sure where this motor will get installed, but it WILL be installed somewhere...

PeterC Avatar
In reply to # 3884673 by B-racer ...if I had one... And thanks Peter because I've always wanted one!!!

You should visit me someday.....

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (608) 223-9400 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
2014 Dodge Charger
We should talk soon...

PeterC Avatar
The 64 would be perfect for you...

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster