AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Walrus1954 Avatar
Walrus1954 Neil Peniston
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Hi All,

Looking at numerous pictures on the V8 web site I note that many have modified radiators located right up against the slam panel. I have a CB GT into which I have transplanted a 4L Rover motor.
Space is at a premium due to the longer crank shaft.

The hood release mechanism takes up valuable space. What modifications are possible ? I have thought of using hood pins but want to keep the over all look as close to original as possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers Neil P.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Neil, I like to keep the hood pin in the stock location. That's not to say I don't modify anything in the process, in fact everything else if fair game including the hood pin head size. I like a removable stainless slam panel. Easily formed by any sheet metal shop and it can incorporate the top radiator mount and fan mount in the panel. For more engine space I like to tilt the radiator forward at the bottom, and add a lower radiator support and crash guard. See the MG Roadmaster for details.

Jim

Yes No Thank
1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Pictures???

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Yes No Thank
Walrus1954 Avatar
Walrus1954 Neil Peniston
Sorry Bill I am not sure what pictures you want. It is a standard MGB hood release mechanism. Want I want to know is what alternative others use to maximize space in front of the engine . The release lever (i.e. where the release cable attaches) projects backwards about 1.5 inches. Doing away with this mechanism would gain valuable inches.

Cheers Neil P.

Yes No Thank
Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Or cut it out and turn it 180 just like an MGC.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
Yes No Thank
Walrus1954 Avatar
Walrus1954 Neil Peniston
Jack, That sounds like a good idea Thanks!

Yes No Thank
1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Yes, 180 will give you some extra room. That is what is done when the hood cable is deleted from inside and install a short one from outside.

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Yes, of course. That mod is automatic.

Jim

Yes No Thank
Mustangsix Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Keep in mind on an MGC the cable end is fixed to the slam panel and the sheath acts against the lever.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
How's this for non original (but because I have no pics you all won't believe me) tongue sticking out smiley

My slam panel is removable so engine transmission R & R made easier. The secondary bonnet clip was clashing with my condenser so I cut a slot either side of the bonnet added a plate and set up for a secondary catch either side. Then I decided my dick was really in the way so it's gone and a pair of those below fitted - I know you didn't want to cut up the bonnet but you did ask what others have done .

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Attachments:
aero1.jpg    21.4 KB
aero1.jpg

Yes No Thank
Walrus1954 Avatar
Walrus1954 Neil Peniston
Thanks Barrie,

I was actually thinking that I would have to go the same route as you but using the more "old school" pins/ring/cable. Maybe it just 'cos I'm cheap.

Cheers, Neil.

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Your what was in the way?! eye popping smiley

Yes No Thank
Mustangsix Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3893836 by MGB567
.........Then I decided my dick was really in the way so it's gone and a pair of those below fitted ........

eye popping smiley

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
In case clarification needed 1st pic not 2nd moon

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Attachments:
dick.jpg    9.2 KB
dick.jpg

D & B.jpg    8.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
40indianss don foote
2walla wa, USA   USA
I have looked at those hood latchs and wonder if they fit or can be curved to fit the curvature of the hood. If so that would be a very nice solution and could provide a more secure locking mechanism. Has anyone used them?

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster