AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
In reply to # 3763893 by V8MGBV8 Wait til ya price ceramic coated headers. eye popping smiley

I'd laugh harder, but it hurts too much.

I don't know. It's always smoked like that/made that sound/done that.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
What kind of ceramic are you using on your headers? The type placed on engines back in the 1930's that was 1/8" thick? Ceramic coated headers probably cost us about $200 +/- a set for the V6 systems. Maybe a bit more for the V8.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
In reply to # 3763808 by BFC Thanks, Dan. I will probably be calling him next week about one of his conversion kits. I may end up driving down to his shop. Probably easier than shipping my crossmember and it would be a fun roadtrip.

In reply to # 3763805 by momsauto Keep swingin' Ben. Pete Mantell's number - 217-688-2463. A real asset when doing the 5.0.

Send an e-mail will have something new for the 302 sbf soon. bg.gtv6@verizon.net

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Yeah, last time I looked 302/MGB headers of any description were right spendy, some more than others.

Jim

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3763983 by BMC Ceramic coated headers probably cost us about $200 +/- a set for the V6 systems. Maybe a bit more for the V8.

Or way more. The 302/MGB specific headers whether fenderwell exit designed by Steve Carrick or block hugger designed by Ted Lathrop ceramic coated will likely be 4 times that. Low volume & demand. Can't get them from Summit or Jegs.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
My apologies. I thought you were saying the coat to Ceramic Coat headers, not the cost of the headers themselves.

I understand the costs of low production items and anyone who does not only needs to go into business and manufacture low production, complex and quality items to figure out that large costs do Not mean large (or even "normal"winking smiley profit levels.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Q-Ship MGB Silver Member Robert Wilson
NELSON, BC, Canada   CAN
1973 Norton Commando
1977 MG MGB "The Money Sink"
Bill is doing the 3.4/T5 project into my 77 MGB currently. I've visited his shop (his garage behind his house) 2 or 3 times in the past few weeks to observe progress. Things look good. If the website is not clear that the parts he offers are for MGB's that's strange but I get the feeling Bill is more into hard parts and perhaps doesn't emphasize the internet side of things enough. I agree that the site could use some proofreading and more detailed descriptions!

He's definitely trying to build up the Triumph V6 conversion side of his business. The install of the 3500 into his white TR-6 ("my wife's car"winking smiley you can see on the website is impressive. Very clean and looks like a factory stock job.

I'll be able to comment on how things go once the project wraps, but so far so good.

MG-Maxx Avatar
MG-Maxx Silver Member Charles Waugh
West Haven, CT, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Rumpelstiltskin"
2008 Chevrolet HHR
Ben

Glad you have made the choice. Sometimes the hardest thing is having too many choices. Much easier if it is just A or B... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

With many things car related more power is the better option...

Good luck and keep us informed with many pictures.

Chuck
Hamden, CT

79 MGB - Rumpelstiltskin
Just awakened after a 10 year slumber.
GM 60V6 Gen 3 - 3.5L EFI V6 T-5.

BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
Thanks, Charles. I may live to regret not just doing a bolt on supercharger or something, but so far, I'm having a great time.

After getting it into my garage next to the car, I can only say: OMG! This engine is huge! I went inside the engine room of a diesel-electric locomotive once and the 302 seems to be about the same size. I see why the V6 conversion is an easier install.

In reply to # 3765926 by MG-Maxx Ben

Glad you have made the choice. Sometimes the hardest thing is having too many choices. Much easier if it is just A or B... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

With many things car related more power is the better option...

Good luck and keep us informed with many pictures.

I don't know. It's always smoked like that/made that sound/done that.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3766162 by BFC Thanks, Charles. I may live to regret not just doing a bolt on supercharger...

No you won't.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
(That's what she said)
It's snug, but it'll go.

Jim

ImVman Avatar
ImVman Vincent C
Advance, NC, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
I'm am too on the quest to make 200hp at least on my V6 that I am rebuilding. Only thing I have left is to check push-rod length, and I'm all set. I have a forum of what I have done to my engine on the "3.4l V6 Update" got a bunch of goodies on the engine. 10.3 compression ratio forged pistons from ROSS, custom cam made from Comp and 1.6 ratio roller tipped rocker arms from comp, and ported my intake pets to match with the edelbrock intake better.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
But is 200hp really enough?

The MGB is no longer a small car. Look at most of the cars on the road today and except for the trucks and the SUVs the rest of them are pretty close to the same size. And most of those have over 200hp, many even over 300.

Jim

ImVman Avatar
ImVman Vincent C
Advance, NC, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
200hp not being enough in a car that weighs in about 2200 lbs........are you sure? I guess it depends on what your intentions with the car but that is an impressive number. If you compare the numbers in this roadster class, the only thing that MIGHT have an edge In the top end is an S2000 but that's the only thing. If I were to go from here on power, I'd be done with it all, and stuff an LS engine into my MGB, but if I had that kind of cash hanging around, I would upgrade the suspension with Pete Mantells kit, and put a nice T56 6speed in it, and then I would flair the fender arches to stuff in more tire underneath sonthat baby is there frying tires until next week. But bck to the beginning, build the car on how you intend on building it. I could spend a few more years saving on designing this car to get a big ol honking V8 in it and truth be told if there is a lot that allows the easiest installation to stuff an LS in an MG (or a 2JZ if you REALLY wanna scare yourself to death), maybe just maybe I'll do that. But my intentions on the car is to get it running so I can have USABLE horsepower and not be afraid to get up on a highway with no problem. And more importantly I'm using the car so I can purpose my Girlfriend for almost three years in it in a few months! That way when the time comes and I have kids, she won't want us to get rid of the car because it means a lot to her as well as me because this car used to be my dad's and he used to drive this car when my parents were dating back in the 80s. Whatever way you put it, 200hp is MORE than enough for today's roads. (Seriously go check out the specs for a FIAT spider, and a Miata!) and lastly if you wanted to spend 20000 on a machine to go fast and my your adrenaline pumping, why not get something that was designed to go fast in the first place? Like a bike? Both me and my girlfriend ride on our own bikes and it's an amazing feeling and they go 160 swiftly. And if the excuse is my wife won't let me, does she think your better off in a car with a high engine that goes faster than it was ever designed to go from the factory? I'm not meaning to step on any toes, just something to think about.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster