Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., SC, USA   USA
When you have a massive 95hp then you can dump the clutch and have a lead for the 1st 10 feet, with 200hp you can burn tires but then you're not going anywhere. And, I am considering an automatic...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Wray, from what I hear you're supposed to select the tires, compound, and set up the suspension so that you get 1 to 1-1/2 rotations of the tires when you drop the hammer at full throttle, before the tires hook up. That's whether it's 95 or 9500 hp btw. I've got old tires, I am pretty sure I might be able to light 'em up at freeway speeds. Some folks would consider that slightly excessive, but it seems just about right to me.

Jim

1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Tires are totally a different approach. Thread wear will let you know how sticky the tire is, well.... things have changed with new tire formulas, very little rubber on tires now days.

Max traction tire (summer tire) will have a 0 to 50 or a bit more of tire wear. The lighter the vehicle the longer will last.

Toyo R888 are perhaps the best summer tires for the price.

Suspension will need to be adjusted to tire traction etc.., it will really help and make the vehicle more fun to drive.

The smaller the wheel tire combo the better the acceleration will be.

Tires are a very long subject.

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
I am building a Locost, (Lotus 7 replica). The combo will sport a Ecoboost 2.0 liter from a 2015 Ford Focus ST, 325 hp 380 lb of torque. With Fords harness and ECU.
Estimated curb weight 1450 lb Light weight Panasports 15" wheels with 225x50x15 Toyo R888 rear 205x55x15 Toyo R888
2016 Miata Six speed trans with six gear ratio 1:1 and final drive 3:08 Chevy differential.

Purpose of this project, maximum acceleration and 100% suspension adjustability.

The point is that it is possible to build a car that will equal high end sport cars for a lot less money.

The important factor is gearing and weight. On our MGB's with 200 lb of torque and the correct gearing can match those expensive sports cars. I have lots of fun with Mustangs, Camaros and Vettes. They are surprise to see and MGB stay with them and sometimes ahead of them. Having lots of fun with less money.

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Leeds, AL, USA   USA
Does anyone here know the 1989-1990 pontiac grand prix turbo system work on the 1994 camaro 3.4l engine? I am contemplating the 3.4 swap into either my 66 rdstr or my 72 GT but just looking at all the potential performance options for that engine.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3885001 by Old Enough TKB Does anyone here know the 1989-1990 pontiac grand prix turbo system work on the 1994 camaro 3.4l engine? I am contemplating the 3.4 swap into either my 66 rdstr or my 72 GT but just looking at all the potential performance options for that engine.

Not sized ideally - that engine was a 3.1, and you will also have problems finding a complete turbo set up in good condition as they only made around 700 of that version.

You can always build one yourself, but unfortunately I don't know of any complete after market kits out there now. I ran a 300 bhp turbo in my Fiero, based on the now extinct Miller-Woods conversion.

There are other more modern turbo engines out there today - Duratec and Ecotec four cylinders, that will put out more power than the old V6 in turbo form.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
The guys on the Camaro forums (who are dismissive of the 3.4L engine in general) seem to think that turbo on the 3.4 won't help much due to the restrictions on the heads. There doesn't seem to be a kit for it. That said, the 3400/3500 engine (w/o turbo) might produce about the same as the older 3.4 with one with minor tweaks.

I don't know. It's always smoked like that/made that sound/done that.

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
In reply to # 3885746 by BFC The guys on the Camaro forums (who are dismissive of the 3.4L engine in general) seem to think that turbo on the 3.4 won't help much due to the restrictions on the heads. There doesn't seem to be a kit for it. That said, the 3400/3500 engine (w/o turbo) might produce about the same as the older 3.4 with one with minor tweaks.

They'd be wrong. I ran a 3.2 version blown at 10 psi and got around 300 bhp out of it in my long term Fiero GT. 0-60 was 4.5 secs. in a 2700 lb car and the 1/4 was in the 13s, but remember that it is an mid engined car with much better traction than an MG. (A comparison - my front engined Solstice gets the 1/4 in just into the 12 sec. range on a heavier car - 375 bhp from a 2.0 engine)

Intake flow is relatively crappy on the iron heads so you do all that you can to increase flow and when you have done that, you cheat and throw on a supercharger or turbo to drag it kicking and screaming to the output figures you are aiming at. And my turbo engine lasted 20 years - but my arts and machining bill was around $5,000 1990 dollars before I assembled it.

In the V6-60 boards, we have always figured that a fully gas flowed cast iron head engine gives flow numbers similar to a dead stock alloy head slightly later 3400. I have figures somewhere, but finding them would be a bit of an exercise.

North Vancouver BC

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
In reply to # 3885001 by Old Enough TKB Does anyone here know the 1989-1990 pontiac grand prix turbo system work on the 1994 camaro 3.4l engine? I am contemplating the 3.4 swap into either my 66 rdstr or my 72 GT but just looking at all the potential performance options for that engine.

Ken, at three posts, it looks like we need to welcome you to the MG Experience Website!

So ANY engine can be turbo'ed and gain power. The GM 60* V6 is a pretty stout engine so that could be done fairly easily. Bill Spohn has proven this with he various uses of these V6 engines.

For performance options, there is plenty available. If you are looking for "Formula" options, these aren't quite Chevy 350s that someone on every street corner and 30 guys at the drag-race track are going to have information on, but this is the computer age- you can find it online.

If I was to suggest placing 300 BHP in an otherwise stock MGB, it would be a waste of time. Before this is done, the car needs the suspension At Minimum improved with polyurethane bushings, suspension rebuilt or replaced to be as good or better than new, wider wheels and rubber on all four corners that is performance oriented, none of this all season nonsense, at 300 BHP, limited slip should basically be a Must, proper gearing both for the gearbox and rear end. At a Very Minimalistic approach, there is going to be thousands spent, and that "thousands" is somewhere well above $4,000 and some have over $10,000 in suspension. No one likes talking about it, but that's what it's going to be. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. That's how most cars are rebuilt and reborn.

So, if 0-60 is in the Corvette range in your Immediate future of somewhere around 4.5 seconds, you will need to do everything yourself and keep a budget Minimum of around $20,000 just for driveline and suspension as named above. If 0-60 of say around 6 seconds or so is in your immediate future, that budget can be cut to about 40%. I've been doing this for a while so take my word for it or don't, it's meant to help you make decisions.

Speaking of help making decisions on this conversion, feel free to call me for a price list for the car you decide to build. There is a difference in model years and difficulty as well between various model years so it's a good discussion to have.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
Bill-
I suspected as much. I have never seen a worse climate than the various Camaro boards when someone asks what they can do to spruce up a 3.4 V6. The V8 guys just absolutely crush any real discussion. Unhelpful, uncivil, and uninformed.

I am glad they are wrong. I have this crazy dream to find a cruddy old Fiero and spiff it up for 24 Hours of Lemons or ChampCar. Glad to know its possible. smiling smiley

In reply to # 3885774 by bills
In reply to # 3885746 by BFC The guys on the Camaro forums (who are dismissive of the 3.4L engine in general) seem to think that turbo on the 3.4 won't help much due to the restrictions on the heads. There doesn't seem to be a kit for it. That said, the 3400/3500 engine (w/o turbo) might produce about the same as the older 3.4 with one with minor tweaks.

They'd be wrong.

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
I chose the V6-60 range because I wanted the engine to look stock in the Fiero and in the Jamaican, because the base was an MGA and the narrower engine was better in the tighter confines of that engine compartment.

If one is starting with a clean slate and has the space for it, there is a lot to be said for opting for a 90 deg. V6, particularly the Buick 3.8, which is available in NA and blown forms. See https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2008/03/rebuilding-the-3-8l-buick-engine/ The later 3800 seems to be the one to have, but others here can field your questions on that engine.

North Vancouver BC

BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
I read up on the 3800 swap for Fieros a ways back, but rules for Lemons ($$$) and ChampCar (HP increase) would pretty much exclude a blown 3800 in a Fiero. Bet it'd be a hoot to drive though.

In reply to # 3885864 by bills I chose the V6-60 range because I wanted the engine to look stock in the Fiero and in the Jamaican, because the base was an MGA and the narrower engine was better in the tighter confines of that engine compartment.

If one is starting with a clean slate and has the space for it, there is a lot to be said for opting for a 90 deg. V6, particularly the Buick 3.8, which is available in NA and blown forms. See https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2008/03/rebuilding-the-3-8l-buick-engine/ The later 3800 seems to be the one to have, but others here can field your questions on that engine.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster