Front Sebring Valance

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MG-STROKER Avatar
CENTRAL, IOWA, USA   USA
Im Looking For An Opinion From Those Who May Have Used This Valance, Quality & Ease Installing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fiberglass-Sebring-Race-Front-Spoiler-Air-Dam-MGB-1963-1974-Made-in-UK-/161749269097?hash=item25a901fa69:g:6jEAAOSwGotWs5r9&vxp=mtr
Thanks
JR

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Well that looks like the typical fg front most of the usual suspects sell - mine's on the shelf (I didn't have the heart to chuck it). Like the rear version they require a lot of fettling and there's many a topic about how to bump it out to sit flush but still they're a hard fit - the curve across the body front is a complex one. The other thing is that you have to put such a curve on the extremeties either the fg or paint (or both) may well crack. There are alternatives. Personally I'm making mine out of steel from two oem valances for my GT - last time I searched there was no one making a steel or aluminium version like they used to. FWIW on my Mk1 I have a steel oem (single) bumped out. I achieved this by bending out the edge foldbacks and gently stretching the metal with a hammer.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Yes No Thank
Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Check these out instead.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/valance-front-sebring-style-mgs70737.html
http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/valance-rear-sebring-style-wide-type-mgs70738.html

I've used two sets of them. The quality is pretty fair and they fit well, though you will have to do some fitting. It is fiberglass, after all.

They are on sale and at the current exchange rate, even including shipping to the US, you can have both pieces for about the same price as that one on Ebay.

It took less than a week to arrive at my door both times I ordered them. Moss Europe has great service.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Have you looked at the ones Phil sells?

Jim

Yes No Thank
ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Phil?
Dave Craddock from Preform Resources makes quality stuff.
http://www.preformresources.com/StoreImages/MGBSTAirDam.jpg

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Yes he does. I now run Dave's ST spoiler/airdam.

JR is looking for a front valance, though. I am partial to this Frontline unit that is on the MG LE50. It is available through Moss Motors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-03 04:58 PM by V8MGBV8.

+1 Yes No Thank
howardifeldman Avatar
howardifeldman Howard Feldman
Hilton Head, SC, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB MkIV ~ For Sale ! ~
Here is a pic of the Moss front sebring valance installed on my 77.

Attachments:
1475530526882240180314.jpg    50.3 KB
1475530526882240180314.jpg

Yes No Thank
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Agreed. We use and recommend Dave's fiberglas parts, for MGB's and Spridgets... plus, he's in Detroit, so shipping won't be so bad for you.

Mike

In reply to # 3366797 by ex-tyke Dave Craddock from Preform Resources makes quality stuff.
http://www.preformresources.com/StoreImages/MGBSTAirDam.jpg

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, and anyone who passes you is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

+1 Yes No Thank
MG-STROKER Avatar
CENTRAL, IOWA, USA   USA
Thanks For All The Input!

JR

Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Sorry Dave, You have a cousin locally named Phil.

Yes No Thank
Mustangsix Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Dave makes nice stuff, but when I contacted him about a Sebring front valance he told me that Preform doesn't currently have a version that fits with stock fender width, only one that goes with the Sebring flares.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
Yes No Thank
dcraddock43 Gold Member Dave Craddock
Redford (Detroit), Mi., USA   USA
Those prices are reasonable I believe, you can have them shipped via mail, about $65 to UK, I would think about the same to USA. The MOSS valance is the most aerodynamic(with the lip on the bottom, the other actually invites air under the car.
Dave

Member Services:
Preform Resources,Inc./Dave Craddock, MGB composite parts, body kits ,front and rear valances, stock and RV-8 bolt on hoods ,many spridget parts as well. composite parts that FIT! 313-533-2457 http://preformresources.com/ preres@sbcglobal.net
Yes No Thank
GMATS Avatar
GMATS GERALD MATLIN
palm beach gardens, FL, USA   USA
Have you considered using the existing factory valence that was on the RB cars?
I do not know how it compares to the valance below the CB.
On my 78 I removed the RB and molded the valence into the front fenders.

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
If I wanted a front valance instead of a spoiler/airdam, I would order the Frontline unit from Moss Motors UK while the exchange rate is still very favorable. Looks great, IMO. thumbs up

Yes No Thank
Mustangsix Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
The RB valance is the same as the CB except for large cutouts just below the turn light.

The Moss UK valance looks good and for these next two cars they fit the bill, but later when we do the other GT, I'm going to contact Dave again to get his full Sebring kit. From what I've seen, Dave's fenders and flares are a better fit and require less fiddling.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster