AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DB Wood Avatar
DB Wood Gold Member Daniel Wood
Tumalo, OR, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB GT "Clyde"
1970 MG MGB GT
This engine was developed by Porsche, Cosworth and Ford and is an all aluminum DOHC V6. I have been pondering the possibilities since seeing that Morgan has been using it in some of their cars. Since it came in mostly FWD cars, changing it to rear wheel drive would present some challenges but it might be a winner. The Mazda MPV has this as well as several Jaguar models. http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2005/09/rebuilding-the-ford-3-0l/. 208 to 232HP could be fun.

Plentiful supply and pretty cheap to buy.

Dan Wood
70BGT driver, OD, Pertronix, HS4's, Peco, .060 over, Elgin cam, Superlite wheels, poly bushings, panhard rod, rear tube shocks, 1" lowered front end, HD shock valves, etc, etc.
68 MGB rebuilt engine D9 cam balanced, still a work in process but runs real nice.
88 Saab SPG Turbo
86 Vanagon Westy (South African conversion engine 2.0 OHC 135HP)

Lucas= Loose
Unsoldered
Connections
And
Splices

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Daniel, DOHC is taller and wider than the older pushrod V6. Probably more like fitting a V8. Ford Contour 2.5 V6 flywheel and Lincoln LS and Jaguar S type Getrag 221 5 speed transmission to convert to RWD. Stock 1st was 4.2 and 3.07 rear gears.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-02 04:15 PM by 260mgb.

Simon Austin Avatar
The '05 Mazda6 I once owned had the 3.0 Duratec engine. I liked it. Smooth, quiet and plenty of power.

Would be an interesting conversion.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
I will be working on the install of a Ecoboost this summer. Not as tall as the others. 4 cylinders.

Ecoboost with Ford racing ecu etc. Ecoboost is just the later version of the Duratec and the Duratec is the later version of the Ztec.
Everything from Mazda Miata will bolt right up, trans, flywheel etc etc.

I have been doing lots of research on this engine. One thing that could be an obstacle is the clutch slave cylinder. Will see. I may have to find an alternative.

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Why do you think the slave will be an obstacle?

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
DB Wood Avatar
Tumalo, OR, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB GT "Clyde"
1970 MG MGB GT
Carl,
Thanks for the pictures with dimensions. It looks like a snug fit but possible. DOHC would look very cool under the hood and the Mazda version with bucket lifters is something I might look for, especially if it hooks up to a Miata transmission. Lots of research is necessary with all the different vehicles this engine was used in.

Dan Wood
70BGT driver, OD, Pertronix, HS4's, Peco, .060 over, Elgin cam, Superlite wheels, poly bushings, panhard rod, rear tube shocks, 1" lowered front end, HD shock valves, etc, etc.
68 MGB rebuilt engine D9 cam balanced, still a work in process but runs real nice.
88 Saab SPG Turbo

Lucas= Loose
Unsoldered
Connections
And
Splices

1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Those pictures are for a V6 I am talking about a 4 cylinder 2.0 liter

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,3444024

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-07 12:13 PM by 1744.

Member Services:
mgb281 Philip Waterman
Taunton, Somerset, UK   GBR
If I am able I will take a photo and post it of the Jaguar S type engine sitting in an MGB. What I am attempting to do is fit this engine into my MGB, I have chosen the Jaguar engine simply because the water pump and water inlet and outlet are at the front of the engine. I have also decided to use the BW T5 gearbox. At the moment I have done the following, I have fitted the T5 gearbox to the engine and the engine is just sitting in the engine bay, the gear lever exits in the middle of the hole in the transmission tunnel.
The crossmember has to be cut and lowered, the engine sits level and no cutting of the firewall is required. The difficulty will be the headers, the engine mounts and the oil filter take off. The Miata gearbox will not fit.
The reason for the T5 is the better gear ratios and the ability to rebuild the gearbox. I will offer some of the other problems that I have found so far, Jaguar S type sump is no good, the best one is the Mondeo ST220 (biggest oil capacity and sump furthest to the back) The crank on my engine is different than the Ford version, the bolt holes are the same but the dowels are in different positions. The Contour flywheel will not fit on the Jaguar engine for two reasons, the first is the dowel problem but on the Contour/Mondeo the starter motor is bolted on top of the bell housing and engages from the rear. The distance from the block to the flywheel is also different. By removing the underneath of the heater platform the starter motor will just fit into the gap. There are many inlet manifolds to choose from again the Contour, Mondeo, Cougar and Jaguar X types all fit under the bonnet with no bulge needed. Another problem is where to fit the alternator.
The engine weighs 365lbs and with the T5 gearbox is nearly 100lbs less than the B engine and overdrive gearbox.

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Philip, Cool! It is a very good motor.

DB Wood Avatar
Tumalo, OR, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB GT "Clyde"
1970 MG MGB GT
Phillip,
Wow, you are quite a ways along in the journey. What bellhousing are you using, and are you using a Ford T5? Could you show us a picture of how it sits in the engine compartment?

Dan Wood
88 Saab SPG Turbo

Lucas= Loose
Unsoldered
Connections
And
Splices

1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
The slave cylinder is external, will fins an alternative.

Member Services:
Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3446025 by 1744 The slave cylinder is external, will fins an alternative.

I don't see that as a problem. It's very compact and fits low on the trans just behind the oil filter on the driver (left) side. Plenty of clearance and very accessible in that location.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Ecoboost engine will accept everything fro a Miata, trans 5 or 6 speed, clutch and flywheel. 6 speed is not an advantage.

5 speed miata trans go for about $400 to 600 the latter with low miles. Engine complete with turbo and injector harness, alt and AC compressor $1350 to 2000 with low miles.

The 2.0 I bought is a Focus 2014 39k miles $1550. The intercooler is best to buy a new one $75 to 200 on e-bay
Most intercoolers are crashed, they seat right at front of the radiator.

2.3 engines from the fusion have a different program and installing the 2.0 ecu from ford would require programing.

My idea is to install everything without extra work, just install and be done.

Just one correction the Ford racing ecu and harness comes with the pedal fly by wire and increases the torque by 90 lbs from 270.

Member Services:
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Adapter plate for 3.0 Duratec V6 to 86-93 5.0 Mustang bellhousing for Ford T5:

http://www.key-ideas.com/DGKurTwo2112402Update.html

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster