Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JonPiz Avatar
JonPiz Jon Pizzala
Chelmsford, essex, UK   GBR
Is it best to install the engine and gearbox as one or separately.

1978 MGB GT

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
As one Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine "3.9L Rover" early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits, plus a T5 ford trans. Started on the body late 2016 and complete late 2017, Did all the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Now has a nice 3.23 LSD.

Yes No Thank
Walrus1954 Avatar
Walrus1954 Neil Peniston
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Hi Jon,

Just did it last weekend. Fitted them as a unit. No sweat as long as you can tilt the assembly and lift the rear end of the car. Having a mate to lend a hand is also helpful.

Cheers, Neil.

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Me too. But I daresay it depends on which gearbox you have and how you anchored it. As I used the >74.5 gearbox xmember albeit modified to take my T5 mount and the T5 still extended rearwards past the fixed xmember it was easier to install as a unit. To assist with R&R I also modified the slam panel by removing the offset stay that joins the slam panel to lower apron as that stay clashes with my condenser. I also drilled the spot welds either side of the slam panel where it joins the inner guards and repaired/smoothed the area. Next I drilled a pair of holes and welded nuts to the outer inner guard then I made small "wings" for either end of the slam panel to replace the metal ruined by removing it with corresponding holes. Now I have a removable slam panel (which is needed for the bonnet's catch system) and I don't have to have the V8/T5 at such an angle thus easing slippage into my unmodified transmission tunnel.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Yes No Thank
Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Chessington, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hi Jon

Jack the back right up and as long as you have the hoist with the tilt mechanism you can get it in bits a two man job in my opinion

It’s bad enough getting the gearbox lined up and connected it if the car let alone under it

Phil

Yes No Thank
JonPiz Avatar
JonPiz Jon Pizzala
Thanks for the advice

1978 MGB GT

Yes No Thank
Simon Austin Avatar
Another vote for installing as one unit. The first photo will give you some idea of the angle required to install. The second is just prior to install.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Attachments:
IMG_4735.JPG    51.3 KB
IMG_4735.JPG

IMG_4730.JPG    54.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
As I suggested Simon it's not hard to make the slam panel (or the support panel) removable once you unpick the spot welds. And then no need for that angle especially at the gearbox end.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Yes No Thank
40indianss don foote
2walla wa, USA   USA
Modifying the center crossmember to be removable is another way to simplify this process plus makes removing the transmission easy while leaving the engine in place if repairs are necessary. You can spend the time at the beginning of the project or later when fighting with the entire assembly

Attachments:
DSC00638.JPG    50 KB
DSC00638.JPG

DSC00641.JPG    52.7 KB
DSC00642.JPG    33.1 KB
Yes No Thank
Simon Austin Avatar
To each his own but I have no issues getting that angle to install an engine. As I don't plan to R&R the engine on a regular basis, I'd rather leave my car intact.

+1 Yes No Thank
40indianss don foote
2walla wa, USA   USA
If a clutch,throw out bearing, etc. needs replacing why remove the engine when only the transmission and driveshaft can be disconnected especially if you have a two or four post lift. Quicker and less mess. None of these cars are left intact by the nature of what we do to them. Running the exhaust through holes in the inner front fenders is not leaving these cars intact as an example. Everyone deals with the challenges in what they perceive to be the best solution

Yes No Thank
JonPiz Avatar
JonPiz Jon Pizzala
I have another question. As the engine is from a Rover P6 the carb configuration is as per the attached photo. My question is would the airbox in the picture fit as well

1978 MGB GT

Attachments:
51588494_10157048043982566_7206867818887774208_n.jpg    68.3 KB
51588494_10157048043982566_7206867818887774208_n.jpg

Yes No Thank
Simon Austin Avatar
Since the SU’s on the GTV8’s were moved to the rear of the engine bay, my guess is the P6 configuration will have clearance issues in a B.

Attachments:
AC7EC624-4B96-470E-9320-639AC76236B0.jpeg    69.9 KB
AC7EC624-4B96-470E-9320-639AC76236B0.jpeg

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster