Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Engine Swaps Forum

engine and 5-speed swap on MG TF... anybody ever done one?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
Jim,

I assume you mean the MGA wire wheel axle is 7/8" narrower than the MG TF axle??

The MGB wire wheel axle is also the same as the MGA.

The disc wheel axles are wider by about that much.

Go for a disc wheel axle (early or late) and then convert it to wire. The early axle= bolt on wire wheel hubs. The late axle= swap the hubs off a wire wheel axle to get the disc axle width and the wire wheel hubs that directly bolt to the end of the axle spline. It is a heavier axle but the parts are easy to find. Also, that MGA rear axle, just the gear set should be saleable to another MG T series owner for regearing their car.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3163582 by Edd Weninger I think a Rover aluminum V8 in the TF would be a nice ride.

I think so, as well. May be the route I take on my TF.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
The late Art Floyd in Titusville built a nice Rover v8 powered TF. His was built on a longer wheelbase using a Y- type chassis. I'll see if I can find some photos.

Edit: found this one - check out the extended length of the bonnet. http://www.mgcarclubflorida.org/mgclubflorida/memberscars/P3280685.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-04 09:15 PM by Mustangsix.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
I'll take twogrinning smiley

unfortunately with only 883 built and but a few hundred left in existence can't do it to the 49 YTeye popping smiley

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-04 09:18 PM by ohlord.

Attachments:
1949 MG YT.JPG    32.4 KB
1949 MG YT.JPG

shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, AL, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior"
1954 MG TF
Healey rear takes care of the weak spider gears and improves braking. Mine had 327-375hp fuelie.

In reply to # 3160597 by Checkmate I don't know the specifics on the Volvo swap, but I'll try to find out which specific Volvo is involved. A flathead would look cool, but I'm thinking of something more technologically advanced.

I had a friend with a 350 Chevy-powered TF back in the late sixties. It ran like a bat out of hell, until it puked spider gears all over the road. I'm thinking maybe a JDM 32 valve motor out of a Nissan or Toyota might be a good compromise. I can't imagine any reason why *I* would ever want to switch it back, but I think most people buying T-series cars tend to be purists, and want originality. I think I'd sell it the way I built it, and let them have the original engine and tranny, or maybe just sell those parts once I pull them, and take the price hit on the car whenever I decide to sell it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, AL, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior"
1954 MG TF
How about a Gen 5 Camaro V-6 and tranny with healey raer?

Mustangsix Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
This one is really cool. Volvo MGTD with OD.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CharlieBaldwin.htm

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
Malabrigo David Floyd
Satellite Beach, FL, USA   USA
I just inherited a TF3500. It is a TF with a custom frame, 3.5 L Aluminum rover V8, 5 speed, and Jag differential with inboard caliper brakes all beautifully put together by my Dad Art Floyd! Hoping to get it back on the road soon.

Attachments:
IMG_2312.JPG    49.1 KB
IMG_2312.JPG

Mustangsix Avatar
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
David,

We really miss your dad. Art was a creative guy and built some amazing stuff.

Nice to see you're working on the TF and the MGC again.

Member Services:
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
See above Art's Son is his continuation smileys with beer

I see you sawwinking smiley

In reply to # 3163954 by Mustangsix The late Art Floyd in Titusville built a nice Rover v8 powered TF. His was built on a longer wheelbase using a Y- type chassis. I'll see if I can find some photos.

Edit: found this one - check out the extended length of the bonnet. http://www.mgcarclubflorida.org/mgclubflorida/memberscars/P3280685.jpg

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 03:49 PM by ohlord.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 MG Midget 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links