Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Engine Swaps Forum

engine and 5-speed swap on MG TF... anybody ever done one?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Checkmate Avatar
Checkmate Jim R
None, Left Coast, USA   USA
In reply to # 3161056 by BMC Any carb engine that needs a valve job needs an engine rebuild. An XPAG engine that needs to be rebuilt will be costly. If your going that far, look into the roller cam. If you just rebuild the head, your gong to have a oil burner more often than not and it will do nothing for power.

-BMC.

When my 1600 MGA lost power over a period of a couple weeks, a compression test showed two bad cylinders. I replaced the head, because the valve seats had receded due to unleaded gas. The new head did everything for the power loss. Plus, it had showed signs of oil leakage through worn valve guides. If the compression test indicates a valve problem, I'll definitely do a valve job. If the cylinder walls look good, I'll stop with that. If I had to remove the engine for a rebuild, a different engine would be going back in.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Checkmate Avatar
Checkmate Jim R
In reply to # 3161110 by Ralph 7h Jim,

the Volvo B20 and the 4-speed Volvo M40 gearbox from a P1800 E or a 142/144/145 from 1972 to 1974 can be used without cutting anything. The gearbox has a shifter extension that puts the stick in the right position. The 142... of this years had a cable operated clutch that can be adopted to the original TD-F pedal box. With MGB rear axle and brakes, you can use 15" TR 2-4 wheels or wires. Instruments trom a P1800 E can be used.
The Pictures below show Volvo B20 engines in a TF.

Ralph

Thanks for that, Ralph. The Volvo swap looks like the easiest, and the engine layout is about the same. I think I'll Google that for more information on the horsepower and possibly sourcing an engine. I'd like to go with a 5-speed, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a kit for that. Swaps, in general, are easier today with a lot of engineered kits readily available. Back in the sixties, you usually had to roll your own, and the bell housing was usually the biggest problem.

Perambulator David D
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Miata 1800 with 5 speed and carbs.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Checkmate Avatar
Checkmate Jim R
In reply to # 3161589 by Perambulator Miata 1800 with 5 speed and carbs.

I have to confess to sometimes being tempted to buy a Miata... or maybe a turbo Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky, which aren't terribly expensive... yet.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3161593 by Checkmate

I have to confess to sometimes being tempted to buy a Miata...

How tall are you? MGB has much more room.

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Jim, There are a couple of performance sites for the Volvo and some "How to" on T5 conversions and B18 builds. TurboBricks forum too.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Why not use the B20?

britcars Avatar
britcars Phil Ossinger
Fredericton, NB, Canada   CAN
Couple of pics here of a TF with a B18 and some other mods..................

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/bangers-and-lingonberry-sauce-1951-mg-td-w-volvo-power-514310887

Adventure before Dementia.
The older you get, the more important it is not to act your age.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Quote: Externally, this MG TD looks like every other TD series car build from 1950 to 1953, which isn't a bad thing. The only thing out of the ordinary cosmetically is the use of non-wire wheels

Who wrote that article?! No TD ever came from the factory with wire wheels.

MARVIN CT MARVIN STUART
Preston, CT, USA   USA
I built another '52 TD from spares and a basket case I had. Put in a '37 Ford V8-60 with an '85 Ford bell housing, a home made adaptor plate, '87 Mustang t-5 transmission, and mgb 3.9 gears in the original rear end. It's been fun to build and nice to drive. I had to alter the mounts for motor and t-5, but no cutting of body tub was necessary. Marvin,ct

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-02 01:10 PM by MARVIN CT.

Attachments:
DSC00001.JPG    55.7 KB
DSC00001.JPG

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Carl, I should have said B18 & B20. Actually I would prefer the B20 because of larger bore and newer and easier to find. I like the little flathead 60 V8 also. There was a company that was importing new old stock 60 V8's from France(industrial/military). They can be hopped up to over 100 HP.

Ralph 7h Avatar
Ralph 7h Ralph Siebenhaar
Viersen, Germany   DEU
Carl,

Jim's car is a TF, so wires had been an option directly from the MG Car Co at Abingdon (not a dealers option as sometimes on ourTD's) , On my TD I would never agree to wires but on a TF they lppk quite well. I think.
Ralph

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
B engine with an SC
and five speed.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3162100 by Ralph 7h Carl,

Jim's car is a TF, so wires had been an option directly from the MG Car Co at Abingdon (not a dealers option as sometimes on ourTD's) , On my TD I would never agree to wires but on a TF they lppk quite well. I think.
Ralph

Yes, TF came either way. TDonly had steelies from the factory. I have a 55 TF 1500 with wires that has been a looooong time project. It may get a B20 as the stock 1500 is long gone.

Checkmate Avatar
Checkmate Jim R
In reply to # 3161839 by V8MGBV8
In reply to # 3161593 by Checkmate

I have to confess to sometimes being tempted to buy a Miata...

How tall are you? MGB has much more room.

I'm pretty average in height. All my MGs are a little tight getting in and out of, but once I'm in them, they fit fairly well. The B 20 swap looks pretty sensible, and I see that you can get 200+ HP out of them, depending on how carried away you want to get. That might be the best way to go, but I think I'm going to be waiting awhile before I jump into this. I'm still working on doing the 18GB swap in my 'A.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster