Edelbrock 1404 on 3.5 v8 performer inlet

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spen Spencer M
Liverpool, Merseyside, UK   GBR
Can any one shed some light on the pcv valve connection this carb? can this be used as a crank case breather flame trap or is it to be blanked off as I'm not running a automatic gearbox only manual LT77 .
Just having some trouble getting it running and wasn't sure I might be drawing to much air or something else?
Thanks
Spen

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
I plugged the front one & used the rear one for my brake booster.

Spen Spencer M
Hi carl
I decided to put my servo into the manifold and blanked of the rear carb one. so can the front middle pcv port be blanked also but do you not have a breather or flame trap on the carb ? And if it was to go straight into a crank case breather pipe could I be experiencing a air intake problem ?
Thanks
Spen

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
I no longer run a pcv. Too much blow by. I used to run the left side valve cover vent to a pcv, then to the big front carb port. The right side valve cover port went to the air cleaner base. A flame trap is always a good idea.

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
I run the center front to one valve cover with about a .125 restriction and a small filter on the other cover. It will get far too much air without the restriction and idle will off. Idles like a clock and no fumes. Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine "3.9L Rover" early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits, plus a T5 ford trans. Started on the body late 2016 and complete late 2017, Did all the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Now has a nice 3.23 LSD.

Attachments:
IMG_1596.JPG    59.5 KB
IMG_1596.JPG

Spen Spencer M
Brillant thanks guys !! Roll on the weekend to give all the ideas a go
Many thanks to all
Spen

allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
Spen,
I couldn't get the engine to run using that front off-take connected to the engine breather (rocker).
I connected a breather, via a catch tank, to the air filter, inboard of the element so that it didn't get contaminated.
I blanked it, used the vacuum take off to the dissy and the rear to the servo.

soonerv8

Spen Spencer M
Hello Allan
Thanks on that I had a feeling it was this why i couldn't get it to run correct using the center pcv connection as I also was thinking it could be used for a flame trap now knowing it will need a valve to this! so im wishing my week away again to get back to it and have ago at the ideas listed to see if it will sort it out ? Ill keep you posted
Busy Busy
Spen

Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Chessington, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hi Spen

I did that and mine runs ok but is a pain to start, however I didn’t put a 0.125 or 3mm restrictor in-line going to my catch tank as suggested by Denis?

Does anyone who has this set up have a restrictor in-line ?

Phil

Attachments:
4220C10E-ED58-4E53-BEC9-0B15B119FD34.jpeg    50.9 KB
4220C10E-ED58-4E53-BEC9-0B15B119FD34.jpeg

Spen Spencer M
Hi Phil
When you say a catchment tank is that the blue crank case breather you have ? Next to the radiator tank ?
I'm going to give it ago with the new configuration of the leads that I've just altered tonight with the V8 owners manual book, and for now blanked off the pcv port also just found some loose wiring on the coil !!! Just got to sort out the new dizzi position on one with TDC then if I can get it running long enough I'll start sorting out the carb set up
Cheers spen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-31 02:02 PM by Spen.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
The restrictor is to reduce the vacuum leak from the carb port. Not needed for a crankcase ventilation catch can. I currently have two catch cans on my B.

Spen Spencer M
Phil
i like the idea of the top hose route you have from the different thermostat housing it does allow for a bit more room for the fan thermostat sensor BULB fitting I have one of them to change after it's running is that housing off a rangrover 4x4 ?
Spen

Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Hi Spen

Yep that’s the catchment tank off the standard Range Rover wire wool canister, I have another small breather on the other bank to replace the small foam filter that I couldn’t source anymore which just clipped onto the top hat attachment on the other rocker cover.

Phil

Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Thanks for that Carl I’ll stop looking at that for any vac leaks

Cheers Phil

Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Hi Spen

That take off came with the carb and inlet manifold which was off a 4.6 RR so I would say it def is. I just bought various hoses and chopped them up. I think I bought a whole engine kit of hoses for the 3.9 RR and played about. The housing was I think from https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ which is a great source of bits. Just make sure tapping is the same as the switch you have and the diameter is the same as the hoses. (Made that mistake !)

I like it as it is a good way of venting top hose for air, but a lot of guys recommend fitting the fan switch in the bottom hose.

Phil

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1952 MG D Type Midget

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links