Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3754338 by Austin500GT Pretty badarse From both of you doing the ecoboost swap.

There happens to be a 72 mazda capella/rx-2 coupe sitting in my yard. I am in the research stage of deciding either 2.3 cylinder or 3.5 version of the ecoboost. I admire the hard work you guys are putting into your cars!!! Ford doesn't make it easy but pair the right stuff together and it works. Ive done a few ford swaps including a v10 but it was all a lot of work compared to others, but its all worth it at the end.

Keep up the great work.drinking smiley

Hmmm.......As cool as the Ecoboost is, an RX2 coupe might be worth a lot more if you restored it. Those old Japanese rotary cars are fetching large coin these days and have become very collectible.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Yeah, but he even has room for the 2.0 turbochargerspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Diurno Avatar
Diurno Carlos S
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK   GBR
Knowing what you know already, for the ones currently doing the swap, would you do it again? Or would you use a different engine? And how does this compare to a V6 swap?

Considering this swap at the moment vs a jag s-type V6 3.0L, trying to see what would be easier and more economical in the long run. I have the Mx5 1.8L + Mazda gearbox at the moment so would be keeping the same gearbox regardless.

Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Carlos,
The 2.0 Ecoboost swap is not an easy task. So many modifications and changes need to be dealt with and made.
That being said, I wouldn't change a thing and am enjoying the challenge, for me it is a long term project that always keeps me busy, thinking two steps ahead.

Always thinking about the finish line and how much fun it will be to drive, lightweight car with a relatively powerful lightweight engine, that's a LBC dream.

2.0 Ecoboost swap takes research and patience before beginning the project. You can forget the Miata 1.8L gearbox, will not fit the Ecoboost. 2006 and up NC Miata used the MZR 2.0L engine which shares the same architecture and bellhousing pattern.

Jag 3.0L, how would you adapt the electronics to make it run? Ford offers a stand alone control pack with computer to make the Ecoboost work. I don't think there's any aftermarket support for that Jag engine, I could be wrong, maybe there is in the UK. Are there manual bellhousings available for that V6?

Lots of variables and questions need to be answered first, there are many easier proven engines to swap in an MGB than either of these two choices.
Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Diurno Avatar
Diurno Carlos S
Gary. Thanks for the reply. Always a joy reading the breadth of knowledge in this forum - particularly the swap section of the website, where little judgement for out of the ordinary is imposed -.

You're right, I meant to say that the gearboxes would naturally have to be NC onwards for the MZR engine and the NA/NB for the V6 Jag. I simply meant the brackets that hold the gearbox in place are already made and little modification to these would be required so ever so slightly simplifying the swap.

Regarding the 3.0L Jag engine, there is a company in the UK that offer a conversion kit for the 3.0L engines to be used in the MX5/Miata and they produce a wiring loom to use a ME221 standalone ECU (the ones used by Flyin Miata over in the US). I already have the ECU as this is running the current Mazda engine so would be a simple swap of wiring loom and internal modifications to the ECU itself. Would make the electronics very cheap and easy. Again the same company, Rocketeer Ltd, also offer a bell housing plate that mates the V6 to the NA/NB gearbox.

The only trouble (or one of the many no doubt) issues I see with the Ecoboost engine is that the turbo would be in the way of the steering rack on RHD UK cars. From the pictures posted previously on here, it looks like a large proportion of the bulkhead, where the steering normally sits, has been cut off to make space for the turbo?

Any other interesting suggestions with easily available engines on this side of the pond? I know the GM V6 is very popular in the US, but rare in the UK. I'd particularly be interested in something economical, as the car is used for large journeys throughout the year (as well as on a daily basis) - not keen on diesel; and electric is too expensive with limited range.

This is their website, seems like a very interesting conversion for the MX5/Miata.
http://www.rocketeerltd.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-23 04:19 PM by Diurno.

Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Carlos,
Never even thought about RHD, if you have looked over my swap you'll see the biggest challenge was fitting the turbo, almost impossible on a LHD car. I couldn't imagine trying to do the same with a steering shaft in the way.

I did check out the Rocketeer Ltd website, that V6 in the Miata sounds awesome! 240HP is close enough to an Ecoboost engine's output but It is a big wide V6 which could give you fitment issues in an MGB, I'd take lots of measurements first.
When I started my swap, no one had done it before so I just bought an engine and went in blind hoping it would fit, maybe that's what you'd have to do with the Jag V6? I see Rocketeer makes a rear sump pan, that would probably be required along with custom headers.
It's all the little things that make an unknown swap quite the challenge, for instance, on mine, I had to figure out what to do with the alternator, the space between an MGB's frame rails is tight to say the least.
Have you ever considered an MZR engine like Frontline has done? That's a great combination too and they mount the alternator right where the turbo would be.
Don't know your budget or abilities but like I said earlier, a proven swap makes it that much simpler knowing it "can" be done.

Keep the community posted on what you decide to do and if there's any questions I could answer don't hesitate.
Gary

Diurno Avatar
Diurno Carlos S
Where can I find your pictures Gary? Don't recall seeing them, only the ones from Ryan Grisham.
But I think the steering shaft may be the limiting factor with Ecoboost engines on RHD cars - doable for sure but would require a fair amount of head scratching.

Yes, may well just bite the bullet and purchase a V6 from a scrapyard - only £200. Just thought I would explore other avenues before pulling the trigger. Did you ever consider the smaller 1.0L Ecoboost? The little engine seems to be able to produce a serious amount of power for what it is.
Regarding custom headers, I suppose worse case scenario, I could do what the V8 guys do and cut the inner wings, although I was trying to avoid this.

I had a similar problem with the alternator on the MX5, ended up having to dent and cut the chassis rail to fit the alternator in the stock position. As to the Frontline, they look to be doing an incredible work and I have had a quote from OMEX which provide their looms, ITBs, and ECUs and it does come a bit dear at around £4000 (for ITBs, loom and ECU only).

And absolutely, so much easier if someone else has done the hard work for you, that's why I wondered if any others out there had considered anything a bit more modern (& mpg friendly) than the MX5 engines which are now becoming very popular in MGBs here in the UK! I've done my fair share of fabricating and love a good challenge with the MIG/TIG - increasingly with CAD as well - at the moment thinking about mapping the MGB front crossmember to see if I could rework that into being stiffer, tubular, and fitted with engine mounts to make installs easier.

Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Carlos,
Here's a link to my thread, haven't made an entry in awhile, slow progress right now.
https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,3573594

Without a computer & harness available the 1.0L is not feasible, not to mention transmission issues.
Here's a great story of a guy who fabricated new front frame rails and suspension to put a Chevy LS V8 in his MGB GT
http://www.britishv8.org/mg/keithtanner-mgbgt.htm

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3761231 by Jeepstang
Here's a great story of a guy who fabricated new front frame rails and suspension to put a Chevy LS V8 in his MGB GT
http://www.britishv8.org/mg/keithtanner-mgbgt.htm

Most of that work was done because Keith wanted to use Miata suspension front & rear.

Here's one on how to install a transverse (turned back longitudinal) LS4 into a CB MGB. It well may fit a RB B with very little to no firewall mods.

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?2,41895

Diurno Avatar
Diurno Carlos S
Nice work so far Gary. It really does look like there would be no space for a RHD with that turbo, it would have to be relocated with a different manifold I reckon.

Keith's build is just another level, it would have almost been easier for him to just use a MGC body.

RGrisham Ryan Grisham
Easley, SC, USA   USA
Update:

I have the motor back into the car and have the drivetrain all finalized. Took it out for the maiden voyage last weekend and this set up has a ton of power. Alignment was off a good bit and made for a very interesting drive on the back roads at 70mph. It will sit you back in your seat with a 4th gear pull.

Still trying to get the exhaust figured out. Currently have a glasspack style muffler on it but still have some rasp under deceleration and down shifting. Trying to keep as much flow as possible and lowest back pressure. Not a whole lot of space to add a large muffler.

Used the miata slave cylinder with the MG master cylinder. It provides plenty of travel and works perfectly. Still able to use the MG stock shifter boot and did not have to adjust the opening of the transmission tunnel for the shifter.

I added a vintage air mine heater box. Was able to set it behind the radio area and had to fabricate some of the heater box to direct the air in the proper direction. Works great for the defrost and floor heat.

Orignally had the stock alternator installed but had too much stress on it and broke a tab. Stepped back and installed a GM mini race alternator in the same location with the fabricated mounting brackets. It worked so much better than what I had previously tried. I was able to still use the stock belt.

The MGC hood I am using provides ample clearance but seems to be shaped incorrectly. The passenger rear area will go low enough to sit flush with the body lines. It appears it is hitting on the lip seal area and without cutting into it or the hood it will not sit flush. If anyone has some suggestions to correct it please let me know.

Even with that I have the hood installed and will be driving the car over the next few weeks on and off to find out if there are any other fit issues that come up. I have some pictures coming next.

Overall super excited to be driving this car over the next few weeks.

Attachments:
IMG_1936.JPG    60.9 KB
IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_9540.JPG    53.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_5782.JPG    53.6 KB
IMG_8961.JPG    60.7 KB
RGrisham Ryan Grisham
Easley, SC, USA   USA
Additional Pictures.

Attachments:
IMG_5118.JPG    44.9 KB
IMG_5118.JPG

IMG_4940.JPG    43.2 KB
IMG_3201.JPG    62.9 KB
IMG_8144.JPG    44.2 KB
RGrisham Ryan Grisham
Easley, SC, USA   USA
more pictures

Attachments:
IMG_0181.JPG    43.8 KB
IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG    46 KB
IMG_3996.JPG    49.8 KB
IMG_5339.JPG    41.4 KB
sean.walsh99 Sean Walsh
Fenelon Falls, ON, Canada   CAN
Super clean looking instal, good job.

Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Great job buddy, your keeping me motivated on my swap.
Keep us posted on your test drivessmileys with beer

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 MG MGB Limited Edition LE

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links