AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Well...got the engine, trans, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Harness from Ford performance is coming.

Engine 2013 2.0 EcoBoost with 52k miles $1450 shipping included
6 speed transmission form a 2014 Mazda Miata complete with flywheel, clutch and bolts $765 including shipping.
Complete harness from Ford Performance $1700 shipping included. This harness has everything including new colder sparkplugs.

Doing a preliminary assessment of engine fit without putting the engine in the bay.
This swap gives lots of dividends with some penalties that can be overcome with some though.

One is the clutch slave on the transmission.
Turbo exhaust BTW the turbo exhaust is 3" and it is close to the firewall on the passenger side.
Coolant housing or rear of engine
Will look or a non-AC crank pulley. could make the engine one inch shorter with a single rib pulley.
Oil pan could be used one from a 2.3 Duratec from a Ford ranger truck. It looks like it would clear the front cross member.
Some cutting may be require to fit the engine. As a kit it will provide the sheet metal needed for the swap with templates.
By using the 2.3 pan then the balance shafts have to be removed, this will give a 15 to 20 lighter engine and the same advantage of a lighter flywheel. Engine will rev quicker same as a aluminum fly wheel.

The stock Ford Focus ST intercooler is long, need a shorter one with the same volume. Critical, coolers are match to the turbo psi and volume. Not a problem finding one.

I will be installing the engine in the B this summer. Just doing some thinking.

Here are some pictures.

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.

Attachments:
DSCN0985.JPG    53.7 KB
DSCN0985.JPG

DSCN0987.JPG    43.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCN0989.JPG    44.3 KB
DSCN1011.JPG    57.4 KB
DSCN1008.JPG    49.9 KB
DSCN0984.JPG    55.2 KB
br.foot Avatar
br.foot Brian Powers
MT, USA   USA
I am really looking forward to how this works out. And to see how much metal massaging is going to be needed.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
A guy on the ranger boost forums makes a neat rear sump custom pan .
Quick time makes the T5 adapter
I have a friend at Fordperformance Racing if you need more info on tweaking the tune.
Working on the 1957 series 1 land rover is taking most of my time so the mgb ecoboost goes on the back burner.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Attachments:
20161031_160918.jpg    38.3 KB
20161031_160918.jpg

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Rob, Very cool Rig!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Thanks going to be A daily driver
Considered the ecoboost in it. But it's nearly all original,rare left hand drive.

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

Attachments:
20161018_180606.jpg    50.4 KB
20161018_180606.jpg

1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Two places that I see that may need some sheet metal
1. Cutch slave, it set low so it may not be a big issue
2. the exhaust, it may just need a heat shield.

Going against the T-5 due to complexity of actuating the clutch and cost, yes it can be done, but easier using parts that are available and for less money.

The whole idea is to make this as simple as possible and for less.
The pan I think it will be a must do. The 2.3 Ranger pan is cheaper and aluminum and plenty of them, but nice to have another option.
If pan is changed,, then the balance shafts have to be remove from the bottom of the crank, this will give a savings on weight 15-20 lb
and the same effect as a light flywheel which will also increase in a gain of a few hp.

Harmonic vibrations are minimal with all four cylinders, Ford has them on the EcoBoost but on the Duratec. Same block.

Member Services:
Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
The 2015- 17 2.3 Mustang pan is another option.

The balancers make the most difference at idle. I don't think you'll find them on 2.0 duratecs, but I think all the 2.3s and 2.5s had them, except for the Ranger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-07 07:03 PM by Mustangsix.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports specializes in the repair, restoration, and customization of classic British cars including MG, Triumph, and many other makes.
Evergreen Jon Turgeon
VT, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
First of all, can't wait to see this kit. For sheet metal mods, any thoughts on the difference between the rubber bumper cars vs the chrome? I am still a year or 2 away from a swap (currently doing a bit of sailing away from the US) so I have some time to wait for the kit.

1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
One of the reasons I canned the Buick V6 is because the CB B needed to much work to fit. It would only work on the RB B.

The CB and RB have similar if not the same foot well there fore the same mods would apply. This engine will fit the CB with no major mods. That is what see thus far.

Yes the balance shafts are non-existing on the Duratec and harmonic vibrations are not a problem. They were put on the EcoBoost for smoothness of the engine in the Focus, Fusion, Mustang etc.

What I see is the pan interferes with the cross members same as the Ford V8, I saying appears because I have not put the engine on the bay.

So far I do not see anything major.

I have looked and looked for an engine for the B, so far this appears to be the best choice Simplicity. economical, powerful, light, ease of installation, plenty of following, factory support. The kit will give two choices of engines the Duratec and the EcoBoost.

Duratec comes in 2.0 and 2.3 with plenty of aftermarket support.

While doing research I found a huge following here and in Europe. http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-duratec-he-tuning-guide.html

http://www.premierpowerengines.com/products/2.0DuratecEngine

No special bell housing needed. The Miata 6 speed is about the same size as the T-5 the Miata just a little larger.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-08 11:06 PM by 1744.

Member Services:
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
A guy in our Thursday Night Garage association car club had a miata 6speed let go with 300ft lb.
Be interesting at 360ft lb.
What are they rated for?

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

twentyover Avatar
twentyover Greg Fast
Lives in SoCal, Resides in the Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3465103 by 1744

While doing research I found a huge following here and in Europe. http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-duratec-he-tuning-guide.html

http://www.premierpowerengines.com/products/2.0DuratecEngine

No special bell housing needed. The Miata 6 speed is about the same size as the T-5 the Miata just a little larger.

Be careful when referencing european guides for Duratech engines. I've heard that somebody like Lancia had trademarked Zetech, oe Ztech, so some engines we identify as Zetech in the US may be identified as Duratech in Europe

1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Basically the same engine, Z-tech has a cast iron block, All duratec engines and EcoBoost are all aluminum.

Miata 2.0 liter is a Duratec engine.

I have also heard a Tremec go south with less torque. I had a M-21 Muncie behind a 427 go away.

Talking to Flying Miata and Gold coast Miata they have not had any problems with the turbo 2.0 Miatas
There many 2.0 turbo Miatas with about the same torque with no problems.

The same was said about the Mallet Porches with an LS 3 gm engine, the trans axle will not be strong enough. There are lots of them on the road
Any trans is at the mercy of the driver.

Member Services:
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
True.
At 360ft lb traction or lack of it provides a cushion

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

jdtaylor014 Avatar
jdtaylor014 Joel Taylor
Millville, NJ, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Jdtaylor014"
Will you be duplicating the 10 degree cant of the engine as in the NC Miata?

sean.walsh99 Sean Walsh
Fenelon Falls, ON, Canada   CAN
Great concept, however any thoughts on mating it with Fords dual clutch, paddle shifting transmission? I suppose one could have an adapter bellhousing made for the eco tech to mgb 4 speed with overdrive, for less money, any thoughts?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster