Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
We were supposed to be at the Dynamometer today but the Dyno owner, and others that wanted to tag along asked to hold out until next week figuring it might be better than today's high of -16*F (below) Zero. That said, we are all at work today anyways. Our shop is heated anyways.

This coming week, we have Three or Four 3.4L V6 engines that are going to be placed on the dyno. Three are more along the lines of basic test of the engines, and the last is an engine that has some head work, a larger cam and a few other alterations. We're, once again, not looking for the Highest power output, but an engine that is a nice street-able engine. One is being shipped to the East Coast, another is for a client's project from Wisconsin that is being built in house, a local gentleman who we are building the driveline and installing it in his car, and the final one is an engine for a Restoration of a West coast car.

It might interest everyone to know that there was a Chinese knock-off product in the last car that we ended up pulling the driveline out for. Be Cautious of Chinese knock-off cloned products. These have become a problem in the aftermarket to the point that we all need to consider our sources Very carefully or it will cost you time, or money.... Or run a shop and watch them cost LOTS of both!

Find a cheap source of parts, pay now, then pay full price later and the first item is a piece of wall art/reminder of what not to do the next time.

I'll update as we get closer. The list of supplies to run an engine on the dyno is incredibly long, but we have (most of) it in stock.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
rficalora Avatar
rficalora ROB FICALORA
Willis, TX, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB V8 Conversion "MG MUTT"
What part was the knock-off Brian? Lots of Chinese import heads, valve train components, pistons, etc out there (and they are not all poor quality - largely get what you pay for) but I've not heard of knock-off blocks or other major components. Would be interesting to know what those of you who touch way more motors in a month than most of us will in years are seeing.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Spoted1 Spot D
Theodore, AL, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Tiny"
So what all is needed to make these motors run as a stand alone? Iv been wondering if the factory passlock is going to be a issue with putting a 3400 in my mgb. Also wondering if there's going to be any issues with any sensors or anything not included motor wise to interfere with it running

MG-Maxx Avatar
MG-Maxx Silver Member Charles Waugh
West Haven, CT, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Rumpelstiltskin"
2008 Chevrolet HHR
3.4L is a RWD motor running OBD1.5. - 3400 is FWD using OBD2. Different requirements.
OBD 1.5 has the pass lock and Brian has a bypass for it.

Use the advance search on search screen. Look for post from Brain -BMC. Or give him a call, he is a wealth of knowledge.

Chuck
Hamden, CT

79 MGB - Rumpelstiltskin
Just awakened after a 10 year slumber.
GM 60V6 Gen 3 - 3.5L EFI V6 T-5.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BMC Avatar
In reply to # 3883343 by rficalora What part was the knock-off Brian?

Rob, you'll love this.

The faulty part? A Carbon Clone copy of the brand name HTOB we sell in our kit. We went through a new source for a single unit and thought it was the real deal at a better price. We used it on an IN HOUSE project.

The good news: We did not sell it to anyone outside of the in house project.

The Great News: No one got one of these identical units (identical in appearance only) from us so a failure outside our shop is not going to happen.

The Bad news: The car is was installed in has been delayed, it costs us about 20 hours of shop time to deal with bad products like this. 20 hours is a Huge loss in any business.

I have heard from many how they can find products cheaper, and I have always told people it's not worth their time already having horror stories myself and others have given, but c'mon. This other source is a reputable business so switching to a lower price was a near no-brainer. Fool me once...
This good 'looking' knock off could have cost a lot more than shop time and a the product money costs had we used it. This is something that many will never understand- what it takes to verify a product and the use, and our costs. When someone tells me we charge too much for a product (especially one that the price has not been adjusted for inflation in 8 years!) I understand that they will have serious issues finding things as well outside of us. Seen it many times.

I am not going to get into any debate about politics, although this is on the fringe of it, I am glad to see some tariffs placed on Chinese goods. This may also have some benefit to quell these questionable quality items that are harming people, in many ways.

My Dad used to always tell me: The Bitterness of Inferior Quality will remain Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten.

President Ronald Reagan used to say about the Russians: Trust but verify. smiling smiley

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
BMC Avatar
In reply to # 3883674 by Spoted1 So what all is needed to make these motors run as a stand alone? Iv been wondering if the factory passlock is going to be a issue with putting a 3400 in my mgb. Also wondering if there's going to be any issues with any sensors or anything not included motor wise to interfere with it running

We can help on the 3400 but you'll end up spending more to get little more. They offer 25 more BHP and a Whopping 5 foot pounds of torque more. Torque is where it's at and the difference is minimal. I can tell you we've built 3.4L iron head engines with 215 BHP and 254 foot pounds of torque and then compare a stock 3400 which in that case 'only has' 185 BHP and 205 torque, but I FAR prefer comparing apples to apples. The bone stock 3.4L has 160 BHP and 200 Lbs-Tq, the 3400 has 185 BHP and 205 Lbs-Tq. There used to be a fellow on here a number of years ago that would give a built comparison to stock and in that case, I could have said that the 3.4L is capable of 600 BHP, because I'm sure there is a way to get it there, not that 99.999% of owners would ever even consider it.

So what do you get for 200 pounds of torque? If you have decent 'tyres' and everything on the MGB is decent and not worn out, about a 0-60 time of 6 seconds. Want 300 foot pounds of torque in that same car with stock wheels, tires, and suspension? Maybe 0-60 in 3/10th of a second faster. You need to build ($$$) the car before it's going to turn into a 4.5 second keep-up-with-Corvettes car.

What does it feel like to drive a wide power band engine in a light car like an MGB? Any decent V6/V8 conversion is very street-able, can be driven by most anyone and is very domesticated in even heavy traffic when built decently.

If you want to know more, contact me sometime and I can get you a price list. Speaking of which, I still owe a couple people lists for their conversions.

-BMC.

Member Services:
BrsMgbv6 Avatar
BrsMgbv6 Bryan Heidtman
SW ohio, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Uknown Cost"
In reply to # 3883866 by BMC
In reply to # 3883674 by Spoted1
Any decent V6/V8 conversion is very street-able, can be driven by most anyone and is very domesticated in even heavy traffic when built decently.

I

those are the words I've always used when trying to explain my bone stock 3400 car, smooth and well behaved, with the right amount of power for my driving needs.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster