Computer on a Rover 4L

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Drew Ledet Andrew Ledet
Hernando, MS, USA   USA
Hello guys, I was wondering if a computer was necessary for the 1999 4L v8 to run. Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
I would have thought yes for EFI and no for carb but I'm no expert.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 02:30 AM by MGB567.

allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
Are you intending to use the injection system? if so, yes!

soonerv8

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Drew Ledet Andrew Ledet
Hernando, MS, USA   USA
No fuel injection for me! Just good old carburetor

In reply to # 3887335 by allanreeling Are you intending to use the injection system? if so, yes!

allanreeling ALLAN R
RANDLAY, TELFORD, Shropshire, UK   GBR
If this is a 4litre which succeeded the interim engine, with a serpentine belt drive it probably has the crank driven oil pump and no distributor drive. Ignition, i think, relied on engine speed sensors and the ECU to control it.

soonerv8

Drew Ledet Andrew Ledet
Hernando, MS, USA   USA
Sorry for reviving a dead thread but I just read a post on here from around 6 years back that says all I have to do is change the front of the engine and I’ll be able to add a distributer. Thanks for all the help!

trewjohn2001 Avatar
trewjohn2001 John Trew
Dorset, Poole, UK   GBR
You can still buy new timing covers from TA Performance if you can’t find a good used. You’ll also need the camshaft with distributor drive gear, much more choice on off the shelf cams with the distributor drive camshafts so not a bad thing.

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,44699

Drew Ledet Andrew Ledet
Hernando, MS, USA   USA
Do you know what model I have have to use on their website ? I have heard 215 being tossed around, but I doubt that is applicable to my engine, and where would I get one of these distributer drive camshafts? Sorry if I’m being too... questiony, Thanks!

In reply to # 3890115 by trewjohn2001 You can still buy new timing covers from TA Performance if you can’t find a good used. You’ll also need the camshaft with distributor drive gear, much more choice on off the shelf cams with the distributor drive camshafts so not a bad thing.

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB ~ For Sale ! ~
2014 Dodge Charger
You may find it cheaper/easier to go buy a salvage yard 3.9. Its the same displacement motor, but with a distributor, and the appropriate front cover, cam, oil pump, everything you're going to need.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

Drew Ledet Andrew Ledet
Hernando, MS, USA   USA
I actually just pulled the 4L out of a pull a part, do you think they would let me get away with the front cover or would I have to buy the entire engine?

In reply to # 3891363 by B-racer You may find it cheaper/easier to go buy a salvage yard 3.9. Its the same displacement motor, but with a distributor, and the appropriate front cover, cam, oil pump, everything you're going to need.

Not-Anumber Chris Silk
Southend, East Anglia, UK   GBR
Personally i would say that if you already have the 4.0 engine without a distributor there is no reason to think you need to sell it and obtain a 3.9. As an alternative to changing front covers you could go distributor less. A Megajolt or a Nodiz will entirely remove the need to have a distributor, is not very costly and is dead simple to install and adjust. My experience of using them on Pinto engines has been entirely positive.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3891367 by Drew Ledet I actually just pulled the 4L out of a pull a part, do you think they would let me get away with the front cover or would I have to buy the entire engine?

In reply to # 3891363 by B-racer You may find it cheaper/easier to go buy a salvage yard 3.9. Its the same displacement motor, but with a distributor, and the appropriate front cover, cam, oil pump, everything you're going to need.

The 4.0 has lighter pistons, longer rods, beefier crank, & cross bolted mains. It is a bit longer, but can be made to fit a B.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/JimStuart4.htm

Drew Ledet Andrew Ledet
Hernando, MS, USA   USA
Would this require a computer? I am kind of dead set on not having one installed, not to sound like an ass or anything
In reply to # 3891402 by Not-Anumber Personally i would say that if you already have the 4.0 engine without a distributor there is no reason to think you need to sell it and obtain a 3.9. As an alternative to changing front covers you could go distributor less. A Megajolt or a Nodiz will entirely remove the need to have a distributor, is not very costly and is dead simple to install and adjust. My experience of using them on Pinto engines has been entirely positive.

Drew Ledet Andrew Ledet
Hernando, MS, USA   USA
Dumb question, sorry

In reply to # 3891491 by Drew Ledet Would this require a computer? I am kind of dead set on not having one installed, not to sound like an ass or anything
In reply to # 3891402 by Not-Anumber Personally i would say that if you already have the 4.0 engine without a distributor there is no reason to think you need to sell it and obtain a 3.9. As an alternative to changing front covers you could go distributor less. A Megajolt or a Nodiz will entirely remove the need to have a distributor, is not very costly and is dead simple to install and adjust. My experience of using them on Pinto engines has been entirely positive.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3891528 by Drew Ledet Dumb question, sorry

In reply to # 3891491 by Drew Ledet Would this require a computer? I am kind of dead set on not having one installed, not to sound like an ass or anything

No, it is not. Sure the path is easier to use a 3.9 with a dizzy, then add a carb. Not as easy, but that is also do-able on the 4.0.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster