AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bonnet
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
I said in other topics I was going to use a C bonnet as a template for my B. So as you like pics today's effort below. Still some tweaking plus it needs a nose.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
P1010699.JPG    33 KB
P1010699.JPG

P1010700.JPG    38.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1010701.JPG    36.5 KB
P1010702.JPG    38.5 KB
P1010703.JPG    35.7 KB
Was this post helpful or interesting?
+1 Yes No Thank
billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
Awesome Barrie, I know what kind of work goes into doing that is, so I can appreciate just what you are doing. Keep it up and keep the pics coming.

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
Thanks William - yes a lot of work to get it indistinguishable from the rest of the body, I'm having as little bog in it as possible but you can't escape it all. smiling smiley I forgot to take these below yesterday so here's a couple more.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell with VW Golf flared guards, flush fit front and rear valances with front guards immovable. Front and rear seams removed,Torana XU1 vents, frenched indicators front & Mk1 rear lights. Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimaera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. All new interior with MrMikes covers on MX5 seats. Retro4 7x15 rims (zero offset) and 205/55 rubber. Colour: Jaguar Storm. Not for sale - it's my sanity!

Attachments:
P1010704.JPG    34 KB
P1010704.JPG

P1010705.JPG    32.3 KB
Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
IAI after a week (he only works Tuesdays) the guy doing most of the work above had decided that he wasn't happy with his work above and to rectify it would take longer than cutting the bulge out and starting again. It's now in .97 sheet metal as opposed to the original .7 so it's much stiffer now. And rather than hammer and dolly the curves are done by English wheel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-26 01:55 AM by MGB567.

Attachments:
P1010709.JPG    32.8 KB
P1010709.JPG

P1010710.JPG    36.1 KB
P1010711.JPG    30.2 KB
Yes No Thank
billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
Looking good Barrie, Wish I could use a english wheel. Never had the chance, but sure would like to.

+1 Yes No Thank
  MGB567 thanked billymgb1000 for this post
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Carrington, NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
2012 Dodge Journey "Another Shopping Trolley"
The English Wheel makes a world of difference.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 05:14 PM by melbaver.

Yes No Thank
Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Chessington, Surrey, UK   GBR
Great to see sheet metal remind me engine is that scoop feeding ?

Also I love the gills you’ve put in the bottom wing where or how did you do that ???

Phil

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
Phil that's not a scoop it's a replica C bonnet - should have a nose on it tomorrow. The engine is described in my signature block and the gills are #89 here. cool smiley

Yes No Thank
Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Chessington, Surrey, UK   GBR
Sorry Barrie should have read and realised that! But love the gills just read that other thread of yours truly nice work. Unfortunately beyond my simple hands but still love the gills!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-05 04:51 AM by Ricey30.

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
"beyond my simple hands but still love the gills!"

Beyond mine too - the ideas are mine although some gleaned from here - but I'm fortunate to have a guru who's not charging me mega bucks. thumbs up

Yes No Thank
MGB567 Avatar
Nose on - now to tidy it all up.

Attachments:
P1010714.JPG    31.1 KB
P1010714.JPG

P1010715.JPG    37.3 KB
Yes No Thank
Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
Looking great Barrie I particularly like your flares, not too radical (classy) Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine "3.9L Rover" early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits, plus a T5 ford trans. Started on the body late 2016 and complete late 2017, Did all the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Now has a nice 3.23 LSD.

+1 Yes No Thank
  MGB567 thanked Denis for this post
MGB567 Avatar
In reply to # 3905453 by Denis Looking great Barrie I particularly like your flares, not too radical (classy) Denis

I thought a reply was in order rather than just thanks. I wanted flared guards just because........but I didn't want to go overboard so after sorting via my VW flares topic I set about copying to a large extent the flares on my DD (a VE SV6 Commodore bought the weekend Brocky was killed). They're aggressive enough for my taste and I wanted a bonnet bulge but again just aggressive enough hence replicating by-in-large that of the C (but with no SU bulge or nose strip). Sometimes I think I should have done like you but then.............it's a lot of work to get it all straight especially when the premise is all steel with "absolute minimum bog".

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster