Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
As an engineer, I have a lot of appreciation for the amount of design and test effort that goes into every single component of a mass produced car. Where years ago, I would have dismissed this effort and assumed I can always do a better job, I no longer jump to that conclusion.

So I was wondering if anyone has looked at using the stock ford 302 mounts when mounting their drive train? The idea would be to have a car with vibration and harshness similar to a factory install. Are they just too big or just too ugly for a hot rod?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Peter, I am in the last steps of the final design of the bolt on Ford V8 motor mounts for the MGB.
This mounts will be adjustable and bolt on, but could also be welded.

I will include a trans cross member. No headers.

The new mounts should be ready in the next 2 weeks, that is the goal. Mounts will be powder coated.
This mounts will not sag.

To answer your question.

The original Ford mount is big and with the small margin of space and clearances they do required some shimming in the future.

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Yes No Thank
ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Peter, I support your logic of using OEM designed parts wherever possible. Having worked for a truck OEM for many years, I can attest to the fact that all critical component designs are subjected to some kind of testing or FEA analysis.
Trying to use those components in an application like ours will sometimes create headaches and compromises. My 302 engine mount components are from the early '60's 260/289 engines - the biggest challenge was adapting the left hand mount to accomodate the steering shaft - but it can be done and I have the piece of mind that the mounts are a well proven design.

Yes No Thank
mgb4tim Avatar
mgb4tim Tim N
South Fayette, Pittsburgh, PA!!!, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
1996 Jaguar XJ6 (X300) "Big Green"
Bill-solid or rubber?

~Tim

morSpeedPerformance@gmail.com

Yes No Thank
Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
My 302-powered Cortina uses stock early-Mustang mounts, and late-model trans mount, and they have worked perfectly for upwards of 17 years now. There are several styles of OEM engine mounts, but I'm not sure that these would fit between the frame rails of a B....it would be close.

Mine have a stud through them to stop them coming apart, which was (I believe) original to the Hi-Po cars.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-28 07:38 PM by Benny.

Yes No Thank
Jasper, Missouri, USA   USA
In reply to a post by 1744 Peter, I am in the last steps of the final design of the bolt on Ford V8 motor mounts for the MGB.
This mounts will be adjustable and bolt on, but could also be welded.

I will include a trans cross member. No headers.

The new mounts should be ready in the next 2 weeks, that is the goal.

I'm interested in these. Will the transmission cross member be transmission specific or universal? I'm strongly considering going with an automatic due to some injuries. I would like to use a 302/AOD swapped into a 1979 MGB.

Ronnie

Yes No Thank
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Bill:

Looking forward to the new hardware. Will keep checking the site.

Pete

Yes No Thank
dtownsend Avatar
dtownsend Gold Member David Townsend
Rutland, VT, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion "B'east"
Bill,

Are these designed to mate up to the existing MGB mounts (as on late model cars)? Or are the to replace the MGB mounts on the frame?

DT

Member Services:
Limited edition fine art prints of British sports and racing cars
Yes No Thank
1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
NO ! I would never used a solid mount. The ones I am using are poly.
This mount has worked in many applications and the newest is in our new V6 kit.

I used this mount in many of my projects. The other mount that works very nicely and it is commonly used is the Mopar engine mount.Used in hemis, trucks. sedans even the slant six cylinder.

There is also a hydraulic mount but expensive. Fluid fill mount, it gets harder with pressure weight. Very expensive

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
Jim Stabe Avatar
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Lloyd Faust (Balloonfoot on here) and I had this discussion a week or so ago. He attended the Reno meet and had a chance to ride in a BOPR conversion that used a rubber biscuit type of mount rather than the OEM mounts and he said that he could feel noticible vibration through the car. He and I have done several similar conversions and we use the OEM mounts (for all the reasons stated above) and none of the cars had a noticible engine vibration.

Definitely use the OEM mounts if at all possible and construct brackets to the frame to carry them. My $0.02 (and Lloyd's as well)

Jim

"If you want me to agree with you then we would both be wrong"

'66 MGB widened 11" with supercharged LT1 Chevy and 6 speed, C4 Corvette suspension
Pictures here Part 1 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Continued in Part 2 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Continued in Part 3 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,33108
Continued in Part 4 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,40751
Continued in Part 5 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,48698,48698#msg-48698
Continued in Part 6 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,61672

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-29 12:21 PM by Jim Stabe.

Yes No Thank
1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
In reply to a post by dtownsend Bill,

Are these designed to mate up to the existing MGB mounts (as on late model cars)? Or are the to replace the MGB mounts on the frame?

DT

The mounts are totally new and nothing to adapt. They will insulate noise and vibration. Most of the vibration (appears to be) comes from the rear. Reason why GM used a weight on the trans to eliminate harmonic vibration. The same is done with the rear calipers.

There are different types of mounts, Biscuits type about 4 different types, different hardness.

The MGB has very little space for mounts, specially when the stock mounts are used. The stock mounts do sag in time and have to be shim. On a stock vehicle this is not a problem, in the MGB it is.

4 years ago we ( a friend and I) built one using the stock Ford mounts. 6 to 9 months later they had to be shim about 1/8" to keep the front of the pan from hitting the rack. This area only has about 1/8" clearance.

I made three sets one for my friends car, one for Rob F. did not used the factory mounts, he used Ted's front end etc.. another set for...no reason other than to have for reference. I can take some pictures of this mounts. This mounts have to be welded and used the Ford mount.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
dtownsend Avatar
dtownsend Gold Member David Townsend
Rutland, VT, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion "B'east"
In reply to a post by 1744
In reply to a post by dtownsend Bill,

DT

The mounts are totally new and nothing to adapt. They will insulate noise and vibration. Most of the vibration (appears to be) comes from the rear. Reason why GM used a weight on the trans to eliminate harmonic vibration. The same is done with the rear calipers.

There are different types of mounts, Biscuits type about 4 different types, different hardness.

The MGB has very little space for mounts, specially when the stock mounts are used. The stock mounts do sag in time and have to be shim. On a stock vehicle this is not a problem, in the MGB it is.

4 years ago we ( a friend and I) built one using the stock Ford mounts. 6 to 9 months later they had to be shim about 1/8" to keep the front of the pan from hitting the rack. This area only has about 1/8" clearance.

I made three sets one for my friends car, one for Rob F. did not used the factory mounts, he used Ted's front end etc.. another set for...no reason other than to have for reference. I can take some pictures of this mounts. This mounts have to be welded and used the Ford mount.

Pics would be good. I was just getting set to cut the existing mounts off the frame and fabricate some new mounts. AM interested to see what you have before I go to the trouble. Thanks.

Member Services:
Limited edition fine art prints of British sports and racing cars
Yes No Thank
1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
The new V8 mounts will be for sale soon.

I can show you pictures of the ones I made to used the Ford mount. Is that what you mean.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
aussiebj Avatar
aussiebj Barry Smith
patchogue, Long Island ,NY, USA   USA
Yes i would like to see them also before i cut off my stock mounts..thanks Barry

Yes No Thank
mgb4tim Avatar
mgb4tim Tim N
South Fayette, Pittsburgh, PA!!!, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
1996 Jaguar XJ6 (X300) "Big Green"
In reply to a post by 1744 The new V8 mounts will be for sale soon.

I can show you pictures of the ones I made to used the Ford mount. Is that what you mean.

Yes, yes, yes. LOL

~Tim

morSpeedPerformance@gmail.com

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 MG MGB MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links