Anyone interested in a cheap V8 5 speed conversion

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

garylum Gary Lum
Nor Cal, USA   USA
yeah, that sounds about right for broker fee. Then there's copart fees, yard fees, online auction fees, title fees, The auction closes on Wed fee... etc...

It can be worth it tho. I bought a sierra 2500 XLT with 100k on the odometer with front end damage for $3k. ~$600 on fenders , hood and grill and I have a really nice truck that sucks gas like there's no tomorrow winking smiley

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Gold Member Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
There was a man in Jackson Tn. that bought that MG & owned it for a while & sold it to the man that owned it when it was wrecked. I worked with him & this is what I know. Home made motor mts., heater box was taken out, has the G.M. T5 with the .295 first & the .63 5th., stock MGB 3.90 rear & the engine did use oil & smoked. I saw this car in Tn. in Oct. of 2017 & it was sold around Oct. of 18. That is what I remember, but all is subject to change. My2cents worth

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-08 09:35 PM by mgv8glen.

Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
A couple of years ago I bought a 2010 Camaro donor car for one of my projects thru Copart. Had a buddy with a license bid on it. Priced what a new engine, trans, and everything else was going to cost me. Buying a wrecked Camaro with 11,000 miles was a no brainer. I sold off a bunch of parts, still have a bunch yet to sell. All in I'll be under $5K for a LS3 and tremec 6 speed. Anybody doing a V8 swap should seriously consider buying this B. Cost of parts bought individually will easily double what this car will sell for. Trust me on this one. I've sold engine/trans packages to a few of you MGB V8 guys from wrecked TR8s.

Attachments:
DSC04070.JPG    54 KB
DSC04070.JPG

DSC04167.JPG    84 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCI1665.JPG    46.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
I agree, Todd. Lots of good parts, still.

The engine is a rebuilt SD1 3.5L with new 20 over pistons & balanced. Ran stronger than my Buick 215 when I helped Jim dial in the carb. Maybe the rings didn't bed in or maybe the lower row head bolt issue. I think it has the Ford T5, Howe radiator, interior, 3 good VTO wheels, etc.

Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
No more than Jim drove it, I'd be really surprised if the rings had enough run time to seat. Can't comment on the later owners.

Jim

Yes No Thank
galotis Avatar
galotis George Van Horn
Collegeville,, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Ms. Blue"
Anyone want to broker this for me?

Yes No Thank
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Gold Member Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
FWIW, I told the owner after Jim to use NON detergent 30W to see that the rings were broke in, he did & it still used oil. FWIW

Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Odd. Jim seems to be pretty competent, could be the problem was with the pcv system. That pops up commonly as a cause of oil usage.

Jim

Yes No Thank
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Could be he used chrome rings. You need a very smooth bore for those and it takes a while for the rings to seat.

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
I didn't notice it smoking at Indy.

Jim W. has been working on & restoring British cars in the "Busted Knuckle Garage" for a long time.

Yes No Thank
Jim Blackwood Avatar
I'd say it's likely to be the pcv. Carl's car used oil until we got the plumbing sorted out, it's a kinda common issue so that's what I would look at first. Usually the problem arises from trying to combine elements of US and British PCV systems or form swapping valve covers.

Jim

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3905847 by Jim Blackwood I'd say it's likely to be the pcv. Carl's car used oil until we got the plumbing sorted out, it's a kinda common issue so that's what I would look at first. Usually the problem arises from trying to combine elements of US and British PCV systems or form swapping valve covers.

Jim

Actually, it blew it out because of crankcase pressure, due to the bottom row head bolt issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 04:11 PM by V8MGBV8.

Yes No Thank
Bankerdanny Avatar
Bankerdanny Daniel Palmer
Chicagoland, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT "Dudley"
1976 Honda MC CB750F
Anybody know what the final sale price was? Last time I checked the bid was just over $1,000 with a couple days to go.

Endeavor to Persevere

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Yes No Thank
hardball22 Avatar
hardball22 Gold Member Paul Gerken
St. Peters, MO, USA   USA
$4100 was the last bid I saw with 5 minutes to go.

Yes No Thank
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
Wow.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster