The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

MG Engine Swaps Forum

Anyone done a GM 2.8 60 degree V^ in a TF?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, AL, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior"
1954 MG TF
Don't waste your time advising me to keep it stock. I had a TR3 I liked and replaced it with a TF with fuelie Vette engine in the sixties and LOVED it. Don't want to cut the firewall back on this one, so want to know if anyone has fit a 2.8 GM V-6 in without cutting the firewall. Volvo? Good, but can't find one. Thanks in advance.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
Okay Gary. I won't say don't as MG T cars are generally not so fun above 70 in my opinion, but then again, as long as you can hold power to the ground, the V6 is a super fun engine in anything light.

Second. Yes, I know a few guys who have done it but there is not much on line about it.

Next: The GM 60 degree V6 is shorter than the Austin B series engine and I have helped with a few B series MG TDs. 'B series' being Magnette, MGA, MGB, Marina, early Austin A40, and a Lot of other BMC and pre-BMC cars.

Flatheads which I believe are wider than the GM 60 degree V6 have been fit to T series cars.

There are a lot of gearbox choices, so a five speed would be fairly simple, namely to keep it in the family and keep it cheap, the T5, but there are other choices, just have to figure out a few other things such as width and shifter locations, but I have a few ideas there.

Can it be done? Yes.
Has it been done? Yes.
Should it be done? If you say so, Yes.

Give me a call sometime and I'm glad to exchange ideas with you.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
Yes No Thank
shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, AL, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior"
1954 MG TF
Thanks, my Vette powered TF was a blast and handled high speeds beautifully. I also have an 81 Celica engine and tranny I caN get cheap

Yes No Thank
bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
If you are going to do this project, do yourself a favour and find the later 3.4 version of the engine. Much better and the total price of the conversion won't be significantly different.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Yes No Thank
shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, AL, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior"
1954 MG TF
Thanks, and easier to find

In reply to # 3907443 by bills If you are going to do this project, do yourself a favour and find the later 3.4 version of the engine. Much better and the total price of the conversion won't be significantly different.

Yes No Thank
BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
Bill is correct.

http://car-part.com/

Search that website as a 1994 Camaro 3.4L engine. You can call it a 2.8l, then add a fake supercharger to the top. It will have about the same power as a supercharged 2.8l. Just one of many reasons to update a few years later to the 3.4l.

I think we spoke about measurements from the front of the crank pulley to the back mounting point for the gearbox, and the length from the crank pulley front edge to the middle of the shifter in neutral for an idea on what T5 I would recommend. Send me an email some time with those measurements and I'll compare to variations we have here.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 MG Midget 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links