Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jewar Avatar
jewar Silver Member John Warlimont
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
Starting to do my homework as I have put off doing the harness as long as possible. I am using a later dash,speedhut gauges, and 70 steering column, as well as a some other additions. I want to have a plug in dash harness and started off with the idea of using the later dash harness with the original plugs and using a parts harness to salvage the other end of the plugs necessitating splices. Starting to rethink it and wondering with all the mods if I would be farther ahead to hardwire it first and then add deutsch connectors.
Also from someone that has installed one of these harnesses before will every wire come with the kit or just what is deemed the necessary ones.
Thanks, John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Installed my AAW harness a few years ago and it's one of the best mods that one can do to their MGB.
All colour coded, appropriate gauge x-link wire is included in the kit as well as minor connectors, bullet connectors, and misc electrical items. The power module, I believe, comes in two sizes/configurations.....I chose to mount mine in the engine bay but some opt for the passenger side dash area.
As far as the dash to cabin harness interface, I used two 12-way connector blocks similar to these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Painless-Wiring-Electrical-Connectors-Quick-Disconnect-12-way-Connector/381582383217?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Attached instructions and wiring schematic are intuitive and helpful - the wiring exercise can be a bit intimidating but you'll get there!
Steve sells a bullet crimper that does a factory equivalent job - well worth the expense.

Attachments:
AAW rewire1.jpg    54.1 KB
AAW rewire1.jpg

AAW small powr module.JPG    56.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
jewar Avatar
Graham:
Thanks for responding, I have the same small panel as you have and mounted it in the same place as yours. I also have the bullet crimper from AAW
What type of crimperr did you need for doing the connections on the 12 pin connectors..
Thanks, JOhn

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Must admit that my 12-way connectors were the older spade type, but these newer pin type are just as good or better. (they look like Weatherpack type terminals without the silicon bellows seals.) Requires a double terminal crimping tool like this one (similar to one used for Weatherpack type connectors)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AWG-10-22-Double-Terminal-Crimp-Electrical-Crimping-Tool-Wire-Stripper-Plier/322455671762?hash=item4b13db13d2:g:TtEAAOSwaVNauF1F
...or you can use a simple wire crimper taking a bit more time to fold the tabs to get them right - and, also suggest soldering all terminal connections.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Personally I feel it is best to upgrade everything that you can to the newer gas sealed connectors like those used in modern cars. Deutsch sells a nice assortment for under $100 and you can buy the individual pieces. I've had pretty good luck with those. Some things like the ignition switch and turn signal switch you can convert to those connectors. Where you have to use the old style it's a good idea to liberally coat them with alox anti corrosive grease.

Jim

jewar Avatar
Been trying to get an answer from there technical support but no return email.
In the instructions it is suggested to replace the hazard switch with a DPDT switch that is supplied. i am the second owner of this kit and the switch isn't there.
DPDT switches come in many configurations.
He states it shouldn't be centre on, I am guessing that I need on/off/on or on/on.
Anybody know.
Thanks, John

jewar Avatar
From here to there.
Did a lot of the work over Christmas and been picking at it since.
Leaving for Mexico in the morning, taking a 3 week rest.
Maybe this will be the year that i finally get it finished.
John

Attachments:
BGT wiring 001.JPG    77 KB
BGT wiring 001.JPG

BGT wiring 006.JPG    46.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster