Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spoted1 Spot D
Theodore, AL, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Tiny"
I have been crusing the forums and threads here for a little over a month now and realise some of these may have been answered already
Iv acquired a 72 mgb roadster with a locked up motor. Iv figured up a plan to go with a 3400 (year unknown as I have not gotten it yet) and a t5 from a 92 2.8 s10 since that part is already in the back yard.

A few questions I have

Iv done some rough measuring and came with a measurement of 21" height for the front of the motor but it looks like I only have about 18" between the steering cross member and the hood. Am I measuring wrong or ??

What radiator can I get to slide in I read something about a certain mustang rad. That was the only major piece missing from the car.

What have others done about a shifter. The shifter on my trans now looks like it would put it at dash level and probably hit the steering wheel. Could I just swap the shifter from say a transam or camaro?

I plan to use the original key wired to the donor cars comp to use coils and fuel injecton. Is the passlock system going to be a issue??
And what can I remove from the original harness and not worry about issues running or starting.

Iv rebuilt 2 s10s (90 & 92) gutting engine bay and cab and replacing with newer systems(90 changed from 4cyl to 93 v6, 92 small 6 to 97 4.3) and am going on 3 yrs in a auto shop so not ignorant of cars but this will be my first modified project

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Camaro tailshaft housing and shifter. Look up the # maybe you will luck out with the 3.75 first. Most are too low though.

Spoted1 Spot D
Theodore, AL, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Tiny"
Not to worried about being geared low or high right now. Iv thought alot about of I should go ahead and get the Camaro trans bit there not that common around me. Would love to find a 3.5 with a manual behind it to use and do the 3.4/3400 job. But haven't found any for a decent price.

But thank you

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Lema Avatar
Everett, WA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
If you are using a FWD 3400 then you should check out this site. British Car Conversions

The T-5 from the S-10 will not work. The gear shift location is too far forward and the gear ratio's are very truck. The T-5 from a Mustang (88-93 V8 or 1999-2004 V6) will work far better. The bellhousing you need is from a 95 S-10 with a 2.2L engine.

If your engine is from a 93-95 Camaro then it is a RWD 3.4 and there are two vendors who post here that can help you. Classic Conversions - Bill Guzman and Brian at BMC

Spoted1 Spot D
Theodore, AL, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Tiny"
Jim
I'm not sure exactly which motor I'm going with. Would love to put 3400 guts in a 3.4 block but finding that block locally has been a issue.

I was unaware of that issue with the shifter location. Glad I put that question up now. Thank you

MG-Maxx Avatar
MG-Maxx Silver Member Charles Waugh
West Haven, CT, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Rumpelstiltskin"
2008 Chevrolet HHR
FWD motors 3100, 3400 & 3500 are fuel injection only. No intake for carb.

You can go either way with the 3.4. Each have their features, depends on what you want. Sometimes it’s easier if there were fewer choices.

Try to look at the complete conversation match trans and rear gearing. I am just now replacing the rear axle. Have a V6 trans and normally take off in second.

Make a plan and then see what you need, not I have this an that.

Post often and take pics...

Chuck
Hamden, CT

79 MGB - Rumpelstiltskin
Just awakened after a 10 year slumber.
GM 60V6 Gen 3 - 3.5L EFI V6 T-5.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-30 09:33 PM by MG-Maxx.

bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
First, talk to Brian at BMC.

My 2 cents would steer you to find a 95 Camaro that you can part out or get all the parts from

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Why did you make two threads on the same topic?
Brian

1954 MGTF 1800
1962 MGA MKII

MG-Maxx Avatar
2008 Chevrolet HHR
Brian,

He posted under wrong forum on first one.

Chuck
Hamden, CT

79 MGB - Rumpelstiltskin

Spoted1 Spot D
Theodore, AL, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Tiny"
In reply to # 3883475 by Woodysrods Why did you make two threads on the same topic?
Brian

i attempted to delete the one in the mg forum but couldnt find a delete button

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Dont use the S10 besides the above the gearing is all wrong.
The 3.4 can only use the heads of the 3400 and lots of work. Easier to just build the 3.4 or run the LX9

3.4 with nitrous

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-31 04:02 PM by ohlord.

Attachments:
Old Blue 2 275HP V6 5speed Nascar sidepipe exhausts.JPG    53.1 KB
Old Blue 2 275HP V6 5speed Nascar sidepipe exhausts.JPG

MG-Maxx Avatar
2008 Chevrolet HHR
Rob any info on what mods you did to the 3.4 other then nitrous?

Chuck
Hamden, CT

79 MGB - Rumpelstiltskin

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Forged pistons
Nitrous Cam profile
Stock rods champfered and lightened balanced
Narrowed rear
15 inch rims wide tires rear 205 fronts
T5 .63 5th gear
Solenoid 2 stage controller to lessen the impact of a 75 shot of gas.
Solid mid 12's 1/4mile

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Attachments:
Old Blue 275H.P. V6 swap sidepipe nascar exhaust rear profile.JPG    40.6 KB
Old Blue 275H.P. V6 swap sidepipe nascar exhaust  rear profile.JPG

Paul755 Paul H
Fairfax, VA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB MkIII
1979 MG MGB MkIV "Nemesis"
Rob, nice job, great looking car! you must have upset a few Porsche and M3 drivers. Can you post engine pics ?

I have just started getting the bits together for a 3.4 L32 conversion to my 80 B . Based on info from Brian at BMC I have acquired an 3.4L L32 engine and T5 transmission from a 1994 Camaro that I have started to strip along with the complete engine wiring harness and PCM. I will refresh the engine and give the T5 a going through.
I'm not sure if I will keep the original GM SFI or install a FiTech 400HP unit on a CCE upper manifold/Edlebrock lower manifold with a Megajolt/EDIS6 ignition or Advance Distributor reworked HEI distributor.
BMC or CCE can supply all the parts needed for the conversion and although it is considered one of the easier engine swaps for the 80 B, there are still a lot of ancillary parts and stuff like instruments that need to be factored in. I need to decide on an HTOB clutch or a cut down release arm with a "pull" slave cylinder. I have set a budget of $5,500 based on what I think I know, and hope to keep within that. The goal is to get the engine and transmission running on a test stand by the Fall and complete the swap over the winter.
I will document the process along with all the costs and see where I end up. One good thing is that my B is a 33K mile O/D equipped car that has never been driven in the wet and always kept in a climate controlled garage. I already have MG BGT V8 4 pot brakes and uprated roll bars installed. I will go with a set of Fab-Tek dropped spindles as well. I should be able to get something for the existing 33K mile engine and O/D transmission as a package to defray some of the costs. Let the fun begin !

Townsend, TN, USA   USA
Sounds tasty, Paul! Come join us in Wytheville in June, and you can compare notes with folks who've already taken the plunge: http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?10,63735

'73 MGB
'69 MGB GT/V6 Conversion
Victor TF

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1954 MG Magnette ZA

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links