65 Midget Ecotec swap

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
Looks good Kyle , I really need to get my %$&t together and get back on mine .

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
MG little person Avatar
MG little person Kyle Beck
Richland, WA, USA   USA
Yeah get your crap together haha. Im not master fabricator but I know how to get it done.

Yes No Thank
AZ, USA   USA
I think Im going to get the same header you did since I dont really like the manifold I got , I need to get the trans tunnel and firewall done , Im really trying to make the tunnel look as original as possible which makes it a lot harder to fabricate . My shifter location is virtually identical to the original but obviously the T5 is bigger . Time to get out the C.A.D ( cardboard aided design ) and make some templates.

Yes No Thank
MG little person Avatar
Richland, WA, USA   USA
That header is got was so cheap and seems to be good quality which is hard to believe for the price. Im obviously not going to be running a heater because I cut all of it out but I only tend to drive the car when it's warm enough to drive with no top because I have no plans on putting a top on it. I plan to pull the motor back out soon and finish cleaning, welding, and painting the engine compartment. I need to order a new radiator. They sell a 3 core aluminium oem style radiator that is pretty cheap. It should be enough to keep it cool since the guy who did my harness runs a tiny civic radiator in his buggy and it has not problem keeping it cool even when rodding on it in the dunes.

Yes No Thank
AZ, USA   USA
Who did the harness and tune ? Im not using a heater either , Ive contemplated removing the OE thermostat housing and heater hose outlet thing since its so big and using a remote inline t-stat but not sure yet . Im not going to have a top of any kind either but dont need to worry about cold weather just getting sunburnt spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yes No Thank
mickri Chuck Losness
Squaw Valley, CA, USA   USA
I am planning on using the tunnel out of my donor car when I do my swap. That is one of the reasons why I am looking for a complete running car. I bet that if you went junkyard scrounging you could find a tunnel from a 70's or 80's RWD toyota, nissan or datsun that would fit the transmission and look like it was OEM.

Yes No Thank
MG little person Avatar
Richland, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3691715 by nonracer Who did the harness and tune ? Im not using a heater either , Ive contemplated removing the OE thermostat housing and heater hose outlet thing since its so big and using a remote inline t-stat but not sure yet . Im not going to have a top of any kind either but dont need to worry about cold weather just getting sunburnt spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I thought about removing the stick tstat housing then said screw it and if I want to later down the line I can because it's very easy to get to. Im just going to loop the heater core outlet and inlet for now as well. As far as the harness goes a guy named Jeremy from Ohio did mine and flashed the ecm. It turned out nice but I do have to lengthen the intake air temp sensor wires and well as the O2 sensor wires since im running a different intake and header setup.

Yes No Thank
MG little person Avatar
Richland, WA, USA   USA
So cleaned up the engine bay a bit and slathered a few coats of paint on. Also mounted the ECM and new fuse box as well as OBD II port and relays. Ordering clutch, flywheel, and radiator tomorrow. Getting close to putting motor back in for the last time.

Attachments:
20180314_143113.jpg    59.2 KB
20180314_143113.jpg

20180314_143109.jpg    53 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180314_111834.jpg    57.4 KB
Yes No Thank
MG little person Avatar
Richland, WA, USA   USA
Well here is today's update.

Got the bolts to bolt the flywheel and pressure plate on (took 2 weeks to ship and get here!). Also got the new radiator back from the welder having him weld the mounts on correctly. Mew rad is a 3 core aluminium unit which should be fine (dune buggy guys use stock civic rads which are single core jobs). Currently waiting on the slave cylinder hose to get here that I had custom made to go from the 2009 Pontiac solstice to the 1965 midget master. Should be here tomorrow. Once I have that on and get the motor and tranny back in for the last time I can start making the cooling lines. Getting so close to getting the new motor swap fired up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 05:44 PM by MG little person.

Attachments:
20180404_084444.jpg    54.8 KB
20180404_084444.jpg

20180327_094847.jpg    52.4 KB
Yes No Thank
MG little person Avatar
Richland, WA, USA   USA
Well guys she runs!!! Had a few hiccups but finally got get running. I need to tighten up all the cooling lines and put some water in it to really let her run. Next is get the front brakes done and front suspension done as well has hook the rear brakes up then its off to the muffler shop so its not so well you know open header Honda ricer sounding. haha I will take a video of it soon and try to post it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 06:15 PM by MG little person.

Attachments:
20180411_194705.jpg    66.3 KB
20180411_194705.jpg

20180411_193042.jpg    61.8 KB
20180411_192531.jpg    61.4 KB
Yes No Thank
Boze Avatar
Boze Silver Member Rick Bosak
Twin Cities, MN, USA   USA
1966 Austin-Healey Sprite "Time Machine"
Congrats on reaching a major milestone. I'm sure it's a relief to know it all works as you planned it. Even without a muffler, pretty sweet music.

66 Sprite, "though she be but little, she is fierce"

Yes No Thank
MG little person Avatar
Richland, WA, USA   USA
Thanks! Yeah I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel! Still have a long time till she will be on the road but hey it gets closer and closer every day. I ordered new front shocks 2 days ago so those will be here next week. Also just placed an order with Moss Motors for a bunch of front end stuff so front end shouldn't be much longer just need to take it all off and clean and paint everything.

Yes No Thank
MG little person Avatar
Richland, WA, USA   USA
We here she is everyone. She runs!

Yes No Thank
Boze Avatar
Boze Silver Member Rick Bosak
Twin Cities, MN, USA   USA
1966 Austin-Healey Sprite "Time Machine"
ahhh nice! Thanks for the video. Now you can fire it up for a few seconds whenever some issue has you discouraged.

66 Sprite, "though she be but little, she is fierce"

Yes No Thank
MG little person Avatar
Richland, WA, USA   USA
Yeah so very true.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster