Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Chessington, Surrey, UK   GBR
Guys now Spen has been after info on his 3.5, can I ask how those of you running 3.9 rover with the high water pump and double bottom pulleys, how you mounted your alternators.

Currently I have bodged it on to the water pump housing to get it running, but have the cradle from a MGB/P6 to mount it properly and I’m assumkmg to get the belts to line up I will have to space this off the engine block?

Cheers Phil

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Edmonds, WA, USA   USA
I'm using the Delco CS130 alternator changed to a v-belt pulley, and the stock RR Classic water pump and pulley. With some 1/4" aluminum plate for a spacer between the bracket and head it lines up fairly well. I did have a spacer made for the crank pulley to match with the other two pulleys. I will eventually have to add a bushing to the cradle, as the GM alternator takes a smaller bolt than the Lucas and there is the need for one washer to space it out in the cradle as the GM alternator is not as wide.

I'm still in the mockup stage, but don't plan on having issues with the setup.

Hope that helps.

Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Yes that helps it shows it as id imagined it

Thanks and good luck with the build

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
I have two 3.9 engines, if & when I build one with a 4.2 crank, it will get a Buick timing cover & Buick 300 water pump (like I have now), & the alternator will stay in the same place as my 215.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CarlFloyd.htm

NSFW Avatar
NSFW Rob S.
Pembroke, MA, USA   USA
The stock TR8 alternator bracket hangs the alternator downwards rather than upwards as it is on the stock GM 215, this bracket might work for you.

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
This shows the alternator position on mt 3.9 Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine "3.9L Rover" early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits, plus a T5 ford trans. Started on the body late 2016 and complete late 2017, Did all the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Now has a nice 3.23 LSD.

Attachments:
IMG_1439 (2).jpg    51.6 KB
IMG_1439 (2).jpg

Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Thanks guys

The bracket I’ve got is the one in both the pics. But using the fact I have the newer timing cover and higher water pump position means I need the double pulley on the bottom crank.

But seeing the pic in Denis you’ve move the alternator forward on the spacers which is what I’ll need to do

I might try and have a go at that this weekend

Anyone rember the thread size for the bolts for the bracket to the head and block?

Cheers

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster