3.5 V8 firing order

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spen Spencer M
Liverpool, Merseyside, UK   GBR
Hi can anyone help please I'm trying to start my 're build engine and I'm just wanting to check on the order of firing in relationship with the vacume advance on the distributor? Can you call any position for number 1 then 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 or does it have to be an exact way in relationship to the the vacume advance ?
Thanks
Spencer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Cornfgl Avatar
Cornfgl Graham Cornford
Bellville, TX, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT V8 "Goose Poop"
This might help you, from the V8 workshop manual.

In particular, the leads in the left side should be in the shown orientation to avoid a misfire, from memory you need to separate leads 5 and 7.

It is also important to get the lead orientation right, over/through the distributor cap.

My car had in fact been set up to be one position clockwise from shown, and as timing set up, although believed to be easy by some, is a proceedure that thus far I have not had the confidence to alter, I have left it well alone, as it pulls like a train as is.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-29 08:44 AM by Cornfgl.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    41.4 KB
image.jpeg

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
You want the distributor oriented so that the vacuum advance doesn't hit anything as you turn the dizzy to time it. Otherwise, it doesn't matter which is number 1, so long as the dizzy is installed so that the rotor is pointing to it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
A distributor is just a dumb rotary switch - you just need to tell it when to fire (when the correct cylinder on compression is close to tdc) and as long as the original firing order is retained...and keeping in mind, what Carl mentioned, the ability for some distributor rotational requirement to adjust timing.
EDIT - Clarification for above:
Remove distributor - set engine #1 cylinder at TDC (compression), install your distributor at the desired orientation and the rotor will point to the 'new' #1 distr cap post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-29 02:55 PM by ex-tyke.

Spen Spencer M
Once again thanks everyone !! I just wanted to ask as to eliminate any issues that I may have caused in the build to get it fired up I knew that some of the leads need to be kept apart but thought it was on the dizzy not the leads too ? I'm just having some trouble getting it running as I'm on edelbrock 1404 500 carbs and perfomer inlet it wil fire but very lumpy and hesitant ? Ive got to check TDC fuel delivery spark and prob compression Ill get on with it this weekend
Many thanks
Spen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-29 03:01 PM by Spen.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3882672 by Spen I knew that some of the leads need to be kept apart but thought it was on the dizzy not the leads too ?

Always a good idea not to let wires that fire in order touch, like #5 & #7.

Ricey30 Avatar
Ricey30 Phil R
Chessington, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hi Spen

Just catching up on your posts including the breather hose, if it helps when I was trying to get mine to run it was a pain like yours. As soon as I blocked the centre breather it idled way better. I’m still not at the end of my road of setting up properly and mines been running 3 months now but life gets in the way!

Phil

Spen Spencer M
Yep life does get in the way Phil I found myself having a rant while stuck in traffic for 1.5 hrs into Liverpool city this week cursing I could be in the bloody garrage getting on with the important stuff but you can't have one without the other so I talked myself down... and used the time to think about my build this weekend and at last its into the garrage I go with a whistle and with hope the pistons will go blow by blow
Spen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 11:29 AM by Spen.

Cornfgl Avatar
Cornfgl Graham Cornford
Bellville, TX, USA   USA
Spencer,

Being a V8, it should go,"blow, by blow, by blow, by blow, by blow, by blow by blow by blow".

Sorry!, I hope that it soon does.

Spen Spencer M
HA HA thanks Graham it just did 2 years on and I just got it started
I'll be celebrating tonight !!! They are quite the beast arn t they what ride im in for
Spen

Cornfgl Avatar
Cornfgl Graham Cornford
Bellville, TX, USA   USA
Spencer,

I'm glad that my stupidity was able to help get all pots to fire up one after the other. Some say that you have to be stupid to own an MG. Me, I am just trying to look after it until someone will buy it from me when the time comes.

Yes it is one hell of a ride, I absolutely love my factory V8, they are phenomenal cars with the V8 lump in them.

I am still on my first MG with no intention of changing her in for a different one, as "Goose Poop" is not worn out yet, and nor am I!.

Spen Spencer M
What a brillant Quote man

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster