MG Engine Swaps Forum

3.4 V6 turbo'd ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Leeds, AL, USA   USA
Does anyone here know if the 1989-1990 pontiac grand prix turbo system work on the 1994 camaro 3.4l engine?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
(Re-posting to your repost here)

Ken, at three posts, it looks like we need to welcome you to the MG Experience Website!

So ANY engine can be turbo'ed and gain power. The GM 60* V6 is a pretty stout engine so that could be done fairly easily. Bill Spohn has proven this with he various uses of these V6 engines.

For performance options, there is plenty available. If you are looking for "Formula" options, these aren't quite Chevy 350s that someone on every street corner and 30 guys at the drag-race track are going to have information on, but this is the computer age- you can find it online.

If I was to suggest placing 300 BHP in an otherwise stock MGB, it would be a waste of time. Before this is done, the car needs the suspension At Minimum improved with polyurethane bushings, suspension rebuilt or replaced to be as good or better than new, wider wheels and rubber on all four corners that is performance oriented, none of this all season nonsense, at 300 BHP, limited slip should basically be a Must, proper gearing both for the gearbox and rear end. At a Very Minimalistic approach, there is going to be thousands spent, and that "thousands" is somewhere well above $4,000 and some have over $10,000 in suspension. No one likes talking about it, but that's what it's going to be. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. That's how most cars are rebuilt and reborn.

So, if 0-60 is in the Corvette range in your Immediate future of somewhere around 4.5 seconds, you will need to do everything yourself and keep a budget Minimum of around $20,000 just for driveline and suspension as named above. If 0-60 of say around 6 seconds or so is in your immediate future, that budget can be cut to about 40%. I've been doing this for a while so take my word for it or don't, it's meant to help you make decisions.

Speaking of help making decisions on this conversion, feel free to call me for a price list for the car you decide to build. There is a difference in model years and difficulty as well between various model years so it's a good discussion to have.

-BMC.

BTW: I think it could be done but building your own turbo system will work better for the MGB engine bay using a common turbo off other engines.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
Leeds, AL, USA   USA
I understand all that you are saying. I will be doing a rotisserie build and doing it right. 4-link rear w/Ford 8.8 or narrowed Chev from Camaro. Front end update w/adjustable shocks etc. I have a donor 94 Camaro 3.4/5spd and a set of alum heads. I plan on keeping the SFI. I have considered the 3400-3500 engines but it seems with those you start getting into more complexity being some are VVT or flex fuel, they are transverse mount engines so dealing with starter locations, bellhousings etc, seem to me to be extra BS. The 3.4 is basic swapping almost like the old days of putting a 396 in a 56 Chevy. (having done that being an old school fart of 70)
I'm not trying to build a Corvette killer, just wanting to have some fun!

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
Here's a link to one of our rotisserie restorations we are going to turn out this spring: https://www.facebook.com/pg/bmcautos/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10154500146370838

My summer driver/autocrosser/hillclimb/ and general all around fun car is a 1980 MGB with the 3.4L SFI V6. I have helped many here with good starting point information, and we offer a lot of 3.4L V6 products for the MGB. Rather than finding out the hard way, or after you have spent money doing something the long way about things, give me a call early on.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster