AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Townsend, TN, USA   USA
Good to know, and price isn't bad. And they offer both front- and rear-wheel drive models. Jegs will sometimes have sale pricing as well...

'73 MGB
'69 MGB GT/V6 Conversion
Victor TF

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., SC, USA   USA
So, this is the one I need for the 74.5 RB BGT?

Yes No Thank
1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Know someone who ordered one yesterday, shipping date is April 1
They most building per order.

I am sure if they are asked the (engine builder) for timing cover and pan they can supply on also.

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Yes No Thank
1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Contacted ATK engines who is the supplier of re-manufactured engines.

Engines are available through NAPA, O'reiley's , Ozone, pepboys and many whole sale shops.
Timing covers are available at summit, covers are for the 2.8 carburetor type. NAPA can get the one for the FI.

The difference between the two is the location to install the crank sensor on the cover for the FI and it s reverse rotation, CCW rotation.
The other cover 2.8 only has the two bosses for the timing mark tab and it's CWR.
Pans are available for both.

The later model 3.4 uses a one piece pan gasket, late 2.8 v6 engines also use a one piece pan gasket.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
Wray

While the long block is a good start, I would suggest finding a complete 95 Camaro in Craigslist so that you can take all of the small parts that you need. Cheaper that way.

Yes No Thank
nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
I was just speaking to my sales rep at Oreillys today , he's had problems with a lot of ATK engines, they happened to have 2 there that were going back to ATK . One of them was the 4th engine that they sold to their customer the other was the 2nd , these were not 3.4s but he said they have so many problems they are going to try not to sell them anymore . He did tell if he got an engine from the California or Phoenix plants they were good but if it comes out of Texas it most likely will have problems . They do offer a warranty but they don't pay out very much .Just some information Im passing along .

Yes No Thank
MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
Mossy Head, FL, USA   USA
Lot of bad reviews about ATK engines on the net and other forums. Myself, I think I would stay away from them.

Yes No Thank
John S Avatar
John S John Schiessl
Ridgefield, WA, USA   USA
NAPA lists this engine as ATK also but get this,
Important Information: Block # 653;Crankshaft # 981;For Use w/ Distributor;@WARNING - Not For Motor Home, RV Or Off-Road Use. Warranty Will Be Void If Used In A Vehicle That Is Not Specified By NAPA Iron Clad Engines@;@GSA1 Supplemental Warranty Available Separately At Time Of Purchase, See Part Number GSA1. Store must confirm DC places order for GSA1 from ATK to activate GSA1 for purchased Engine@;Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Is Required To Place Order

Yes No Thank
Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., SC, USA   USA
Good info, thanks.

Yes No Thank
1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
There is always those who like ATK and those who don't
If 60% are satisfied and 40% dissatisfied then they are doing a so, so job anything from 70 to 80% a good job
No has batted 1,000

Negatives for some reason always come before positive comments.
There a few good remarks about ATK and also some bad ones.

I bought a 2015 GMC Canyon that turn out to be a lemon, it took 3 plus month for GM to make it right. No fighting just their regular process. Got all my money return and they ordered a new 2017 with every option, not the Denali.

I also had two GM crate 3.4 engines with flat cams,, same it took about 2 months or less to get replacement, regular process.
Also had a reputable engine builder who buit a 454 for my SS Chevy truck. One piston had to much clearance and could be heard.
Had to re-bore the engine etc...

Talk to the supplier of the engine and share your concerns. Do what is comfortable and feels right.

This is just one of the good comments I found, there are many ore and yes some not to bad and others bad.

1- I have been talking with Brandon for a 302 Ford crate motor. I have heard nothing but good about ATK. They are basic engines with moderate hp. They are not engine builders bragging about high numbers from junk parts.

2- X2, A lot of the Top engine builders in the country are on this forum, I would have no problem running an ATK motor. I have heard nothing but good from their stuff. There are many others, but the ones I contacted were Mark at Vortecpro, Mike at Wolplace and ATK when looking for mine. I didnt know any of the local shops and the ones I did talk to, I knew I didnt want to use them after talking to them.

3- Matt, our Stock Replacement side of the company is a separate entity from our High Performance side. Im sure the stuff you're finding is based on the OE side of the company, not HP. To give you a little insight on that side, we build over 70k engines a year and I can’t tell you how many warranty’s are due to installation errors. It's funny how we can send 100+ engines to a well known company who manages their own fleets and never have a warranty and send out another 100+ to retail customers, small shops, etc and have a few warranty’s When you look at how many engines we do vs what you see online, it’s a very slim margin. Our Company is also ISO/TS16949 compliant, a very important quality control system in place throughout our entire organization.

On the HP side, we strive to be the best we can. Years ago we made the decision to do away with the cheap/budget parts as we have run the parts gauntlet and know what will/will not work. We use all name brand/proven parts, we have quality control systems in place, we hire highly accredited builders that we took on from Reher & Morrison, Pat Musi, TRE etc.

A few members from the board have toured our shop and watched their engines dyno ran live and can attest to the cleanliness and organization as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or call me at 800-421-3746 ext. 409

Brandon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-22 04:06 PM by 1744.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
I am not endorsing ATK I just think that both sides should be looked before making a decision.

Jeg's and many others are representing them, it most have some value.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
I'll give some positive feedback since I started the "bad" feedback . I used to sell these when I owned my speed shop decades ago, I only remember having an issue with 1. I put one of their 302 300HP engines in a 1967 Mustang I built for a customer , its been up and running for over 3 years now with absolutely zero issues . No leaks , no smoke , no noises . I also installed one of their Chevy 350 300HP engines in a 55 Chevy and a 454 400HP engine in a C10 pick up both run great but had oil pan leaks . ATK paid for oil, gaskets, and filters and a small portion of the labor , it was easy to get them to pay we just had to show them some pictures. There will always be good and bad from any vendor I think everyone should know this .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-22 04:39 PM by nonracer.

Yes No Thank
nashvillebill Gold Member Bill Murrin
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Is the 3.8 too large for an MGA? I thought the 3.4 engines had head gasket problems.

Bill

Yes No Thank
1744 Avatar
CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
FWD 3.4 engines had problems with intake manifold leaks and head gasket.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 MG Midget MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links