AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Price: $150 obo
Norton Tom Avatar
Norton Tom Thomas Renda
Baltimore, Hon, MD, USA   USA
I acquired several parts to put together a performance build for my 71 BGT, and I don't need this "big valve" head (have two already).

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/d/baltimore-mgb-cylinder-head-large/6839232422.html

(The CL ad says $175 but for anyone here it's a buck and a half)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-22 09:39 AM by Norton Tom.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
-1 Yes No Thank
Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   USA
Tom,
Many of the folks here are going to want a guarantee that it's not cracked. That involves magnafluxing the head. Most machine shops will magnaflux for about $40 but the head needs to be completely disassembled. There are just too many stories about "heads with no visual cracks in the usual places" that people have bought and end up putting the the trash. You could easily recoup the cost of magnafluxing by raising the price and offering a guarantee. And a new head is not $1500 - A new cast iron head with new valves, springs, keepers, collets, collars, hard seats and big intakes (and the big valves are 1.62" not 1.68"winking smiley I sell for $760. I'm not trying to criticize but most of the folks here know those things and will be leery of purchasing your head because it is innocently mis-represented. Best of luck. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

+1 Yes No Thank
Norton Tom Avatar
Norton Tom Thomas Renda
Price is low enough that DIY buyer could rationally assume the risk of a crack. (I have had two of these heads pressure tested and NEITHER one showed any cracks.)

If somebody showed me real evidence of a crack I would refund the purchase price. Not shipping, though. BTW I am in the Northeast Corridor -- one of the original 13 colonies NOT California where anything goes in an environment devoid of ethics. I make frequent trips to NYC. So I can deliver for this free from anywhere from Richmond to Hartford)

But if you want to spend $760 (an unpublished price) or $800, or whatever, for a STOCK head, well, you know who to contact. He sells them, so you know EXACTLY where his interests lie. Guys like this don't like it when you piece together a cheap performance upgrade, instead of parting with thousands.

(BTW, Moss advertises performance heads for $1,450 plus shipping. I don't think my comparison was inaccurate in any way whatsoever).

-3 Yes No Thank
Basil Adams Avatar
Tom, You don't have to like me. But I like the guys and ladies here and want them to know what to look for - if that angers you, call or email and we'll discuss it. Moss sells the new cast iron head (ready to mount) for $899.99. The $1489 head they sell is aluminum and is advertised as "Alloy Cylinder Head, Assembled." I don't see anything in their current catalog (website) where they claim it's a "performance" head. If there is such a thing, please send me a part number and I'll learn something, thanks. As I said in the PMs we shared, I'm not here to argue. But I will try to educate members where I can and am grateful for the education many of them have given me. Our opinions may differ but I don't think that anyone should assume the risk of buying a head without testing this head; having previous heads that weren't cracked does nothing to change the probability of this head being cracked. I wish you luck with your sale. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

BTW, being in what was one of the 13 colonies 243 years ago vs California (which has only been a state for 169 years) does not improve the integrity of a cylinder head.grinning smiley

Basil C. Adams
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-19 03:11 PM by Basil Adams.

+2 Yes No Thank
  markfavale thanked Basil Adams for this post
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Just a reminder there's a new option "Allow replies by other users" that you can uncheck in the Buy Sell Trade if you don't want people commenting on your items for sale.

Skye

Webmaster, The MG Experience
AutoShrine.com - Corvus Digital

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts.
+1 Yes No Thank
Norton Tom Avatar
Norton Tom Thomas Renda
In reply to # 3911635 by Basil Adams Tom, You don't have to like me. But I like the guys and ladies here and want them to know what to look for - if that angers you, call or email and we'll discuss it. Moss sells the new cast iron head (ready to mount) for $899.99. The $1489 head they sell is aluminum and is advertised as "Alloy Cylinder Head, Assembled." I don't see anything in their current catalog (website) where they claim it's a "performance" head. If there is such a thing, please send me a part number and I'll learn something, thanks. As I said in the PMs we shared, I'm not here to argue. But I will try to educate members where I can and am grateful for the education many of them have given me. Our opinions may differ but I don't think that anyone should assume the risk of buying a head without testing this head; having previous heads that weren't cracked does nothing to change the probability of this head being cracked. I wish you luck with your sale. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

BTW, being in what was one of the 13 colonies 243 years ago vs California (which has only been a state for 169 years) does not improve the integrity of a cylinder head.grinning smiley

Well what the flock is THIS??? Moss Cat MGB-101, P. A50 - ("Performance" section) -- FIRST FARGIN SENTANCE AND I QUOTE: "Improved cylinder head flow means more power" etc etc etc $1,449.00

Moreover, here is what one knowledgeable source (not you) wrote on this site 6 years ago about pressure or mag testing heads in advance of sale

"The deal on buying used MGB smog heads, especially CAM1106 heads that came on the later RB MGBs, I've got to get rock solid guarantee, or I'm not buying it, meaning I could care less if the seller had pressure checked ,or magnafluxed the head, I want them to state to me, if I, or the machine shop find crack/s, or anything that deems the head un-usable I don't own it, and get my money back, some resellers don't like to do that."

I have been selling car and motorcycle parts on and off for over ten years and I have never had a problem with a buyer feeling he was taken advantage of. I stand by my assessment implied above but now stated expressly to avoid any doubt. You are not here to educate anybody. You are here to line your own pockets.

That's what you get in the land of flowers and surfing - people smile and say they are not here to argue, and then utter pure manure in the next breath. Better to do business in New Jersey, - at least you know the rules up front!.

-2 Yes No Thank
Norton Tom Avatar
Norton Tom Thomas Renda
In reply to # 3911718 by Skye Just a reminder there's a new option "Allow replies by other users" that you can uncheck in the Buy Sell Trade if you don't want people commenting on your items for sale.

Skye

That's OK. I have had someone PM me and explain that this particular commenter has a history of pulling the same garbage. You are the Admin so you can see it for yourself.

I don't mind a fight, particularly when someone else starts it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-20 07:20 AM by Norton Tom.

-2 Yes No Thank
Basil Adams Avatar
This will be my last post and I want to thank everyone that sent me PMs and hit the "thank" button on my posts. Skye, my apologies for wasting your pixels but I thought this seemed fishy and tried to take the high road - perhaps not high enough. But I want to print what Moss says about the head this poster is talking about. They do not call list a performance head. It is simply an alloy head that Moss fairly says:

" Now available, fully assembled alloy cylinder heads for MGB.

Improved cylinder head flow means more power. Our Alloy Cylinder Heads feature nickel-steel valve seats and silicon-bronze valve guides for use with unleaded fuel. The aluminum component saves weight and improves cooling, while the revised porting and combustion chamber increases efficiency. Heads are smog legal with stock emission control equipment. If required, water choke port must be drilled. Valve interference must be checked on pre-18V blocks. Requires UNC manifold studs #328-765, not included."

That is right here on their website at https://mossmotors.com/assembled-alloy-cylinder-head-1

Moss makes no representation that they are selling a performance head. They simply state what everyone knows - that improved flow makes more power. None of this discussion of Moss alloy heads appropriately addresses the untested, used, cast iron head that this thread is about. Best to all. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

+1 Yes No Thank
  David Conley and Diver648 thanked Basil Adams for this post
albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, NJ, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
Thank you very much Basil. You have clarified this used head thing. "No visual cracks" are irrelevant and no way to sell a head. I am sure others will agree to all members. There is more to placing a cylinder head on a newly machined engine without a copy of the magniflux test sold with the head. Ask me how I know. New members should beware of this. Good post.

"Only those who have patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily".

- James Corbett.

+1 Yes No Thank
Norton Tom Avatar
Norton Tom Thomas Renda
Blah blah blah. I posted this item last week and I have had THREE offers to buy it - all from members here. I guess they saw through all the BS, huh?.

Money Talks, BS throws shade at other member's sale ads.

(We don't see this kind of crap at YamahaFZ1OA, where I sell bikes and MC parts)

-4 Yes No Thank
Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
It would seem that Basil was offering good advice on the best way to sell a used head. It is unfortunate that the seller took it the wrong way. In my experience, Basil is one of the most helpful members on this site and has helped hundreds of other members solve their problems including me on several occasions. The best advice my mother ever gave me 70 years ago is if you can not say anything nice about someone, don't say anything.

+1 Yes No Thank
LmBoise Avatar
LmBoise Gold Member Louis Miller
Boise, ID, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
1977 MG MGB "Trouble"
X2 Warren!

Yes No Thank
Norton Tom Avatar
Norton Tom Thomas Renda
In reply to # 3912323 by Diver648 The best advice my mother ever gave me 70 years ago is if you can not say anything nice about someone, don't say anything.

Yeah, well the best advice I got from mom was "Mind you own business.."

-1 Yes No Thank
wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
Norton Tom...don't be mad at Basil,he's just trying to help us all...aside from having deep pockets and short arms and being horribly wrong about the painting bizsmoking smiley, he's a great American....full of helpful knowledge even for you too should you need it...thumbs up

+2 Yes No Thank
Norton Tom Avatar
Norton Tom Thomas Renda
Sorry. No Sale. My assessment of motivation and inaccuracy of advise remain unchanged.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster