AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Albert Avatar
Albert Albert Viator
Gloucester, MA, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Squeaky"
Been doing MGA factory hardtops recently.

The two completed shown are both Universal Laminations original hardtops. They are sold but I have one MGA hardtop left to restore and sell on. This one is not a factory top but a period correct Parish brand hardtop originally made and sold in the 50s. As you can see in the pic it is in primer at this point...it will be painted to the new owner's preference with a two part base/clear coat system. It'll have all new seals and hardware as well as a new rear windscreen.

Send me a PM if interested.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
11.jpg    52.5 KB
11.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg    53.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0298.jpg    45.9 KB
IMG_3532.JPG    34.5 KB
Bellem1 murphree flippen
killen alabama, AL, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
i need rubber seals and atttachment parts for three hardtops who is a source for these parts? murphree flippen 330 poplar springs drive killen alabama

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
That is a nice read seal and I also would like to know where you got it. Does it rub the paint where the top and the body meet?

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Albert Avatar
Albert Albert Viator
1978 MG MGB "Squeaky"
The MGA Guru website has all the guys I get my seals, hardware and rear windscreens from.

The rear seal I use is not an original style as the factory hardtops were vinyl covered and had an aluminum strip along the lower edge that held a two inch by 1/8 inch (approx) flat rubber strip in place. Since I remove the old vinyl, reglass and paint the tops I use a style that simply slips over the lower edge of the fiberglass lower edge of the top. I get that seal and the side curtain seals from a company called Smoothline Hardtops in PA. None of these seals are as originally fitted so could be an issue for guys doing accurate restorations. But having said that, they work great.

Todd Clarke from Clarke Spares provides all the attachment hardware I use and Todd Odell in Canada does the rear windscreens.

Albert Avatar
Albert Albert Viator
1978 MG MGB "Squeaky"
I have done four of these tops and have had no complaints that the deck seal wears against the paint. The key I tell folks is to not tighten the top down too tight as that compresses the seal which could cause the problem you mention.

I get the seal from Smoothline hardtops as I noted above. Its listed on their MGA hardtops page under "Parts". As noted above it is not as original and I don't believe it would fit on a restored vinyl covered hardtop.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster