AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Price: ?
princetn1 Avatar
princetn1 Gold Member Mike Ruckman
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
1976 MG MGB "Ivory"
I acquired an original set of early (‘62-‘64) 2-piece MGB door caps with white piping that were pretty good for being 56 years old. So I copied them. Instead of particle board I used solid wood, new vinyl, and even installed black piping. If your early B needs period-correct door caps, let me know.
Moss = $499 + shipping
Mine = $225 + shipping

Member Services:
I've restored Nardi, Personal, Mountney, MotoLita, Les Leston, and even bakelite banjo wheels.

Attachments:
3CA250C6-DE3D-4744-ADCC-E3270497CC35.jpeg    30.2 KB
3CA250C6-DE3D-4744-ADCC-E3270497CC35.jpeg

59CEB11C-B665-4F4A-A1E2-B5FFBFAA86FD.jpeg    30.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
1CBEFEB0-93C1-4D1F-BE88-129965978B8F.jpeg    73.2 KB
550AA1FA-A98F-4547-89D6-CAB4DDA07574.jpeg    61.8 KB
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
MGB65B Avatar
MGB65B Gold Member Thomas Aczel
Sydney, Kurrajong Hts, Australia   AUS
1962 MG MGA MkII
1965 MG MGB "Dad's Little White Car"
Wow Mike, what a beautifully executed salvage job. Mine have remarkably survived, otherwise I’d be knocking forcefully on your email door!
Those early style door cappings are a rare commodity in our parts. Most have been changed over to the later flat style, and most current owners of earlier MGBs are unaware (and in the main, disinterested) in the fact.
Great work!

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Yes No Thank
miatadon Avatar
miatadon Silver Member Don Scott
Calistoga, CA, USA   USA
Mike, I wish I had been able to buy a set from you back when I was cobbling together my door cappings for my '65 MGB!

I bought new door cappings from PJM in the UK, but they were not accurate copies. So I proceeded to merge old and new, and finally got a set of them that are decent. But I spent hours and hours with a lot of grief to do this.

Yes No Thank
princetn1 Avatar
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
1976 MG MGB "Ivory"
Yes, these have taken a long time with figuring out the correct measurements, angles, radius’s, cutting, shaping, sanding, upholsterying, etc. My price is probably at break-even or less but I now have documented the process and have patterns. Even my wife said, “They look professionally done” which was encouraging.

In reply to # 3865070 by miatadon Mike, I wish I had been able to buy a set from you back when I was cobbling together my door cappings for my '65 MGB!

I bought new door cappings from PJM in the UK, but they were not accurate copies. So I proceeded to merge old and new, and finally got a set of them that are decent. But I spent hours and hours with a lot of grief to do this.

Member Services:
I've restored Nardi, Personal, Mountney, MotoLita, Les Leston, and even bakelite banjo wheels.
Yes No Thank
GTgeezer Avatar
GTgeezer Lynn Kirkpatrick
Columbia City, IN, USA   USA
Well Done!!
I think the most rewarding part of being an old-car nut (not an old car-nut, there is a difference) is being able to rebuild or fix something. Figuring out what needs to be done and how to do it and having it work and look right is the real "Bob's your uncle".
Nice job!

The important thing is not to get ahead, but to get along.

Yes No Thank
rescue63mgb Avatar
rescue63mgb Silver Member Robert McClaren
Virginia Beach, VA, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB "Rescue63"
Is there a set still available? I have a 63 B that needs them.

Bob McClaren
Virginia Beach, VA

Yes No Thank
princetn1 Avatar
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
1976 MG MGB "Ivory"
Bob,
I just finished a set of black with white piping that turned out stunning. (I’m not bragging but...).
The wood shop is being insulated and AC will be added so it may be a while before I can get more made. But we’ve got the correct jig/template to make exact copies!
You can “order” if you don’t mind waiting 60-90 days.

In reply to # 3866991 by rescue63mgb Is there a set still available? I have a 63 B that needs them.

Bob McClaren
Virginia Beach, VA

Member Services:

Attachments:
181F9ADE-C4C3-42A6-8DC9-1D21449DA514.jpeg    31 KB
181F9ADE-C4C3-42A6-8DC9-1D21449DA514.jpeg

Yes No Thank
rescue63mgb Avatar
rescue63mgb Silver Member Robert McClaren
Virginia Beach, VA, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB "Rescue63"
I dragged my 63 out of a machine shed and with the parts I received was a nice new set of seat covers black with white piping. I just purchased a panel kit from this site which is correct for the car but it is black with black piping. I am not an absolute purist so the door caps with white piping would seem to me to be okay.

Are those caps available, black with white piping?

Bob

Yes No Thank
princetn1 Avatar
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
1976 MG MGB "Ivory"
Bob,
I’ll make them to order since the ones I pictured were also made to order and shipped to the buyer. So that means I’ll make to your preference - black with black piping, black with white piping, purple with pink piping, etc. But as I said, you’ll need to be patient.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
octog Don Berrett
R.I., USA   USA
I just received mine and they are awesome!

Black with white piping.
Mike is great to work with and very prompt!

Don Berrett
Octog

Attachments:
D4BC992D-C11B-46C5-8257-D2DF975ED2BA.jpeg    47.2 KB
D4BC992D-C11B-46C5-8257-D2DF975ED2BA.jpeg

Yes No Thank
wrightgcbuilder Avatar
wrightgcbuilder Gold Member Dan Wright
North Platte, NE, USA   USA
As usual Mike, very nice work.

Perhaps you can answer my question. I have a late 64 that has the later door caps which I plan on replacing with the earlier version you are producing. I've checked in Clausagers Original MGB, but can't be sure what the piping color should be for my car. The seat covers are red with white piping, so should the piping on the early door caps be red to match the dominant color of the seats, or match the white piping on the seats?

Hopefully, some one will have an answer.

Yes No Thank
miatadon Avatar
miatadon Silver Member Don Scott
Calistoga, CA, USA   USA
I have a '65 with the early type door cappings. It's got a black interior with light blue piping. The piping on the cappings as well as on the seats and panels is all light blue. I would expect your car to have the piping on the cappings be the color of the piping elsewhere in the interior.

Yes No Thank
princetn1 Avatar
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
1976 MG MGB "Ivory"
That’s how I’ve seen it.

In reply to # 3871994 by miatadon I have a '65 with the early type door cappings. It's got a black interior with light blue piping. The piping on the cappings as well as on the seats and panels is all light blue. I would expect your car to have the piping on the cappings be the color of the piping elsewhere in the interior.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
princetn1 Avatar
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
1976 MG MGB "Ivory"
As Don has stated, the predominant color on the seats are the predominant color of the door caps. Same with piping. Sounds to me like I need to acquire some red material. Since there are many shades of red, would you happen to have a sample?

In reply to # 3871980 by wrightgcbuilder As usual Mike, very nice work.

Perhaps you can answer my question. I have a late 64 that has the later door caps which I plan on replacing with the earlier version you are producing. I've checked in Clausagers Original MGB, but can't be sure what the piping color should be for my car. The seat covers are red with white piping, so should the piping on the early door caps be red to match the dominant color of the seats, or match the white piping on the seats?

Hopefully, some one will have an answer.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
wrightgcbuilder Avatar
wrightgcbuilder Gold Member Dan Wright
North Platte, NE, USA   USA
Mike,

I can't remember where I read this, but I think all of the door caps were black, particularly the earlier cars. I see some of the later cars with caps the same color as the seat's predominant color. I think I ran into this on the GT, so it may have not applied to the Tourer.

NOTE: After a little more digging, I found on page 40 of Clausager in the captioning, "The first type of roadster door trim with a single line of contrast-colour piping.............The door waist rail was always black."

Mike, I'll PM you later in the day.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster