AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Blue "parts" Car"
1999 Subaru Legacy "Daily Driver"
Not mine but it might be a good deal for someone who's looking. https://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/d/salem-1960-austin-healey-bugeye/6815410250.html

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rufus Avatar
Rufus Gold Member Harry Singleton
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods, TX, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT Special "Rusty"
1974 MG MGB GT "Krusty"
I have a little trouble with the term "Cheap" being applied to an $11,000 Bugeye. I know that times have changed, and while not "Mini" hot, Bugeyes are hot in the market now. But,,, I've probably only owned 20 Mk1 Sprites, five at one time counting the racecar, and the most I ever paid was $3500. Admittedly that was for the race car, trailer, buckets full of spares and a parts car. The last one I had I paid $500 and it was a running driving 1275/disc brake car. My thinking is obviously warped, by time (that was 1980) and years buying and selling every kind of sports car as a licensed Texas dealer. So, is the market really ready for an $11,000 Sprite that is 1) a color that wasn't available on Sprites (and understand, the last one I had, I painted that exact same metallic silver blue) 2) equipped with wire wheels (Midgets that came out a few years later had wires, not Sprites) 3) sporting a wooden dash (big Healeys had wood dash, not Sprites) and, simply a cool old car that is no where near "as delivered".
It appears that I'm just not ready for 2019 dollars and still think more in 1978-1979 dollars.
Or, I just don't get out enough.
Either way,,, nice car. Just not cheap.

Have fun

If ignorance is bliss, I must be the happiest man alive!
Signed

RUFUS
67 Roadster

Member Services:
Restoration Services. Complete SU carburetor rebuilding services. Complete SU carburetor sets available for RB retro-fit. SU's bought, any condition. MGB's bought and sold. Performance consultation. Rufus-h@hotmail.com 214-686-8692

Attachments:
My favorite Bugeye.jpg    28.7 KB
My favorite Bugeye.jpg

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
Looking at Bring a Trailer web site for current and prior auctions you wil see why this listing is considered a "cheap" price. The highest price I recall, but no longer shown on BAT, was Donna Mae Mims' H Production SCCA championship car which went for approximately $48,000 a few years back. There are several vintage race Bugeyes currently available for high teens to low twenties $. A competitive engine will set you back in the neighborhood of $8,000.00+

.https://bringatrailer.com/austin-healey/bugeye-sprite/https://bringatrailer.com/austin-healey/bugeye-sprite/

Bob Marcum

1959 AH Bugeye Sprite
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex Mini Vintage Racer

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
.....I have to agree with old toofless rufus,whose bark is worse than his bite...I don't see it either but then I am old and not up on Bugeye prices either....owned a few and that was a few to many...eye rolling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Abington, PA, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget MkIV "Rodney"
HI, I'm pretty old now and can't remember if Bugey's hoods and fenders hinged in front, like Spitfires, or the rear. Which was it?

Thanks,

Richard

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Blue "parts" Car"
1999 Subaru Legacy "Daily Driver"
The price is cheap in relation to what is normally asked for one around my area. A good correctly done one goes for between 15-20K and I have seen a few near basket cases go for the same price has this one. Of course those were asking prices not selling prices.
I retract my former statement on the hood seems I am suffering from a bad case of CRS.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 07:41 PM by 76lucas.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Sorry Josh, but all Bugeye Sprites came from the factory hinged in the rear. My street Bugeye is still hinged in the rear. My vintage racer is hinged in the front.

In reply to # 3889382 by 76lucas The price is cheap in relation to what is normally asked for one around my area. A good correctly done one goes for between 15-20K and I have seen a few near basket cases go for the same price has this one. Of course those were asking prices not selling prices.
Richard they hinged in the front like the spit.

Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
Wish I could afford it and have the room for it in the garages. I took SS last year and thought it was tax free. Wrong, penalty time. Seems very reasonably priced to me.

oldredsel Avatar
oldredsel Silver Member Rick Crosby
South Dartmouth, MA, USA   USA
1959 Edsel Villager "OLD Red EDSEL"
1969 MG MGB GT "Emma"
1980 MG MGB "Hole-y Roller"
2003 Chevrolet S10 "The S10"    & more
Just me just being an old curmudgeon, I also wasn't expecting an $11,200 Sprite. That's not saying that it doesn't represent a possible good value in today's market, just hard to wrap my grey haired head around an $11,200 "cheap" Sprite after never paying more than a couple of hundred bucks for them back in the 1970's. I'd love to have another one, but along with the jeans I wore back in college, I wouldn't fit into either anymore.

Like this Sprite, I also mounted my rear bumperettes upside down. I always thought they looked better that way.

Cheers,

Rick

p.s. Hey you kids, get off of my lawn! winking smiley

If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars. . . I'd spend it on cars. - Nick Mason (Pink Floyd)

The journey is the destination.

Albert Avatar
Albert Albert Viator
Gloucester, MA, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Squeaky"
Hi Rick, you old curmudgeon!

I climbed into a Bug Eye that I was considering buying for $8500 two years ago and after settling down into the seat I was very thankful for the two additional inches of ride height that the Feds mandated for the later MGBs. I don't think it had anything to do with headlight heights or bumper protection...I think the increased ride height was because the guys who made up the rules were getting as old as us and needed the help getting in and out of their MGs.

The Sprite was in very good condition other than it had had the fender seems filled with Bondo. I thought at the time it was too pricey and the guy wouldn't budge a nickel.

Shows what I know...

Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1969 MG MGB MkII
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
Another on Craigslist in Phoenix for $14,500 but not nearly as nice.

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
Watch to see how high this Sprite goes.............

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-healey-sebring-sprite/

Bob Marcum

1959 AH Bugeye Sprite
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex Mini Vintage Racer

jimandcassdavis Avatar
jimandcassdavis Silver Member Jim Davis
Swanton, OH, USA   USA
Hey, this dealer is selling one on eBay and I challenged him on the price. He answered back that he has sold two in the $28K range. The thing is it is not even the original engine, wrong seats etc. Not nearly a concourse car. Fools and their money I guess. He has a reserve on it at 28K.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Austin-Healey-Sprite-Fresh-Restoration-Excellent-See-VIDEO/153373620062?hash=item23b5c7b75e:g:mMwAAOSwSjpcYMms&vxp=mtr&redirect=mobile

Tveditr Eric EN
Indianapolis, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA
1971 MG Midget
I wonder why they only show one side of the car.

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
The Sebering Sprite doubled over night to $70K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could we see $100K+ in the next 5 days?????????????

Bob Marcum

1959 AH Bugeye Sprite
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex Mini Vintage Racer

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster