AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

suarez830 Anthony Suarez
Waldorf, Maryland, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Mikey"
1971 MG MGB "Mikey"
1971 MG MGB "Mikey"
Has anyone changed from the standard OEM tail lights to a LED system? If so, which is the best way to do so?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-10 07:22 PM by Skye.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Thurlowb Avatar
Thurlowb Silver Member Brad Thurlow
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I changed to the system from classic auto led. Easy to install. Reversible if I want to. VERY bright. Possibly illegal. I like them but do feel slightly sorry for anyone travelling behind me. Requires a change in flasher unit or you won't have working signals or hazard lights.

Brad

Simon Austin Avatar
A friend has the Classic Auto LED's on his '66 B. I helped him install them.

As Brad said, they are definitely bright. I would say the tail lights are almost as bright as brake lights so you can imagine what the brake lights are like.

I have noticed a couple of times while following him that when his tail lights are on, the signal lights are not as noticeable as when the tail lights are off. I think it has more to do with the number of LED's that are illuminated when in tail light mode.

I might have some photos taken when we did the project. I don't have them on my BV8. I installed new early-style tail lights (Amber over red) and they work well-enough. I might convert them one day.

For those interested:

http://www.classicautoleds.com

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rdgreen Avatar
rdgreen Robert Green
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia   AUS
Yep....they work. Guess which side has the LED's.smoking smiley

Superbrightlights bulbs and perfectly legal (in Aus at least).

1157-R45-T: 1157 Red

Attachments:
IMG_2930.JPG    12.3 KB
IMG_2930.JPG

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Easy
Very Bright
Use 2357
In the regular tails and the center high mount on the boot.
No mistaking when I'm on the brakes

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-29 07:14 PM by ohlord.

Attachments:
GPS speedometer 3rd brake light 006.JPG    31.7 KB
GPS speedometer  3rd brake light 006.JPG

lewisrn Avatar
lewisrn Gold Member Bob L
Danville, Indiana, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "The "B"
Here's a pic of my Classic LED tail lights. These are the tail lights, NOT the brake lights.

Legal in the U.S.

"Bullying and prejudice in our public life sets a national tone, provides permission for cruelty and bigotry, and compromises the moral education of children." G.W.B.

It's how you react that matters. There's not a pill for maturity.

Attachments:
100_1008.JPG    26.6 KB
100_1008.JPG

lawnvett Avatar
lawnvett Silver Member P.J. Lenihan
Winston-Salem, N.C., USA   USA
ditto, I've had mine for 4 years, they're the best if you want to be seen.

I think the real visibility issue is daytime for brakes and indicators, this photo shows a 4 way flasher on a bright day.

Don't postpone joy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-29 08:35 PM by lawnvett.

Attachments:
IMG_3504.JPG    51 KB
IMG_3504.JPG

Shawn G Avatar
Shawn G Shawn Graham
Lakeland, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Lukas"
I have swapped almost all of my lights to LED. Actually bought the sylvania line from Advance Auto Parts. I am very happy with them and it makes it so much easier to see. The backs were a straight swap. To get the front turn signals in I had to use a rasp to file down the edges of the ballast and it all worked fine.

bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, Washington, USA   USA
I've helped put probably 80 pr of Classic Auto LED lights in our clubs cars. There isn't a better product for design or quality.

Cruisedon66 Avatar
Cruisedon66 Pete W
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
When I put in LED bulbs for turn signals, my side lights then came on with turn signals and brake lights.
Just a matter of switching to another type LED and it will work great.
Also, the LED's might be dim or not come on at all without the lights in front being connected and drawing current.

bwoollia Avatar
bwoollia Silver Member Brian W
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB
I have flashing LEDs from Superbright LEDs. About $19 per bulb, replace the existing ones and flash thrice before holding solid. Great upgrade.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3016284

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-1-x-3-watt-high-power-led-w-brake-flasher/923/2274/

OpenTop Lionel A
Perth, WA, Australia   AUS
Not having any experience with LED lighting, am I right in thinking it's just a bulb change, or more involved.

rdgreen Avatar
rdgreen Robert Green
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3277113 by OpenTop Not having any experience with LED lighting, am I right in thinking it's just a bulb change, or more involved.

Indicators need an electronic flasher unit for LED's or they don't work. Everything else is just a bulb change.

lewisrn Avatar
lewisrn Gold Member Bob L
Danville, Indiana, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "The "B"
In reply to # 3277113 by OpenTop Not having any experience with LED lighting, am I right in thinking it's just a bulb change, or more involved.

You have the option of just replacing OE bulbs or replacing the tail lights with LED boards.

"Bullying and prejudice in our public life sets a national tone, provides permission for cruelty and bigotry, and compromises the moral education of children." G.W.B.

It's how you react that matters. There's not a pill for maturity.

Cruisedon66 Avatar
Cruisedon66 Pete W
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Just bulb change. You might have to change the flasher to a heavy duty one as well. Mine worked fine just putting in the bulbs. Although the previous owners may have put the heavier flasher in.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster