MGExp

MG Performance Forum

MGB Original SU vs WEBER 45 DCOE 152 Side Draft Carburetors spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada   CAN
All true as stated, however I have had this carb on the original manifold for about 10 years and love it. I persevered with correct settings and jets and now it's literally set and forget.

In reply to # 3639599 by twentyover
In reply to # 3639263 by Lasse MGB 78 Keith Lewis: This Weber looks very nice. What kind of manifold do you use? I have not seen this one before?

That manifold was used on North American applications,using a single ZS CD175 carb. It is generally panned because the design has several severe bends. The intake is also cast iron with with the exhaust manifold in a single piece

The MCHH 45 is a single choke carb

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
twentyover Avatar
twentyover Greg Fast
Lives in SoCal, Resides in the Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   USA
I absolutely believe you are correct, that it can be jetted correctly and become a set and forget. But if i was to pursue a single choke solution, I would probably look at a manifold like

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MGB-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-1-x-SU-HS6-1-3-4-/281987853858?rmvSB=true

and use a twin SU exhaust manifold. I think the cast iron integrated manifold carries a number is problems, both potential and actual, that would make it a non-started for me. I can't tell you how many of them have a crack where the cat screws to the manifold, rendering it unserviceable

In reply to # 3657710 by lewk All true as stated, however I have had this carb on the original manifold for about 10 years and love it. I persevered with correct settings and jets and now it's literally set and forget.

In reply to # 3639599 by twentyover
In reply to # 3639263 by Lasse MGB 78 Keith Lewis: This Weber looks very nice. What kind of manifold do you use? I have not seen this one before?

That manifold was used on North American applications,using a single ZS CD175 carb. It is generally panned because the design has several severe bends. The intake is also cast iron with with the exhaust manifold in a single piece

The MCHH 45 is a single choke carb

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Ran DGV, DCOE and dual HS4s on my Spit 1500:

DGV, no flat spot, felt better on bottom end than top. Car ran good, decent throttle response, 23-26MPG

HS4s, no real flat spot, hated the throttle response, car ran ok, made ok power, more than DGV up top, looks cool, 23-26MPG

Single DCOE40, slight stubble on WO from idle, good power and response once past the spot, makes power, feels faster/more fun- my choice of the three 23-26 MPG

I have a dual weber setup but I see no need to drown an old tired stock motor seeing how that compares.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dmccann David McCann
Springfield, ,OH/Richmond,VA/San Francisco,CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
1964 MG MGB
1969 MG MGB GT
1970 MG MGB    & more
I had a 45DCOE on a 1800 with significant porting work done to the head. It was tuned well and I was mostly happy with it. The major problem I had with it was that the choke did not adjust the idle, so driving it when cold was difficult. (I am not patient enough to wait for the car to warm up.)
I had a pair of HS6 carbs put together, and I've been happy with them. I haven't had the car on a dyno since the carb change, so I don't have numbers on how they compare. But it seems like it's about the same performance.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3661519 by dmccann I had a 45DCOE on a 1800 with significant porting work done to the head. It was tuned well and I was mostly happy with it. The major problem I had with it was that the choke did not adjust the idle, so driving it when cold was difficult. (I am not patient enough to wait for the car to warm up.)
I had a pair of HS6 carbs put together, and I've been happy with them. I haven't had the car on a dyno since the carb change, so I don't have numbers on how they compare. But it seems like it's about the same performance.

Twin HS6s on our MGB 1800 race engines is worth 8-10 HP over the DCOE 45, with both optimized.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster