Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
I'd like to propose an idea for a new thread...we've all seen plenty of period photos with MGB's lurking in the background, but I would like to propose a thread were we start a collection of clear, period photos where the B is the main focus of the pic so that it gives some insight into things like original panel fit, paint finish, interior appearance, engine compartment details, etc.

We've all had conversations with people who will continue to insist that these cars were assembled by farsighted chimpanzees, and of course, there are plenty of highly original cars that prove this is not true. I think there would be a lot of value in documenting what level the factory took these cars to. Since Skye already has an 'Originality Reference' thread where we can post modern pics of highly-original cars, so I would propose we try to stick to period pics in this thread.

I'll start us off with a late-1966 picture of my Tartan Red roadster, and a period pic of an Iris blue roadster that I found on Moss.com....it's a pure coincidence that both cars are being washed by their original owners in the pics...that is certainly not a requirement of this thread winking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-23 02:40 PM by Benny.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bluesguitar57 Avatar
burlington, iowa, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Evangeline"
Good looking car Benny!!

roadster65 Avatar
roadster65 gavin vincent
Sydney, Australia   AUS
Pic #1 MGB MKI (1965) YGHN3-2041 ... Church Point NSW Circa 1995

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
CCI24082012_00000 (2).jpg    32.5 KB
CCI24082012_00000 (2).jpg

Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Gavin,

Appreciate the contribution, but the car in your pics was 30 years old when the pics were taken, so it had presumably undergone some level of restoration, no? The pics in my original post were likely taken within months of the cars being delivered from the factory, so they offer a lot of insight into what was original.

If the car in your pics was documented, dead-nuts original, then we definitely need more pics of it. If not, then that's not really what I was going for with this thread.

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB    & more
Funny that iris blue car doesn't have wide white walls. any idea what year it is?

roadster65 Avatar
roadster65 gavin vincent
Sydney, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 2400652 by Benny Gavin,

Appreciate the contribution, but the car in your pics was 30 years old when the pics were taken, so it had presumably undergone some level of restoration, no? The pics in my original post were likely taken within months of the cars being delivered from the factory, so they offer a lot of insight into what was original.

If the car in your pics was documented, dead-nuts original, then we definitely need more pics of it. If not, then that's not really what I was going for with this thread.

Hi Ben; appreciate your comments and agree with the sentiments of establishing this thread especially within this particular forum.

For what it's worth; 2041# as seen in those pics was in "as it came from the factory" condition - no modifications whatsoever. In the early 1980's this car was a National Concours winner in it's Class and it's history for the most part is fully documented and corroborated by the previous (2nd)owner - I'm aware of the details of the first owner and am yet to track him down; I still have the original owners books with his name inscribed - Basically the car was acquired from Peter Manton Motors Elizabeth Street Melbourne Victoria Australia; then shipped to Hobart Tasmania Australia by the 1st owner (name with-held); First owner had the car for ten years before selling to the second owner (name with-held) who had the car for ten years; I (third owner)acquired the car around 1985

This is a documented CKD Australian built car; shipped out from England in late November 1964; assembled in Australia Feb / Mar 1965 and first registered 21st April 1965 - original registration (Vic) JFF-249 it then acquired registration (Tas) MG-8111

What makes this car so unusual is that it is one of the last of the pull handle cars with one of the first of the 5 bearing motors.

Pic 1 - shows the car @ Cottage Point NSW circa 1995 (untouched original condition)
Pic 2 - Ditto
Pic 3 - In the workshops of Nepean Classic Cars @ Penrith NSW circa 2000 (untouched original condition)

What you see in the pics is an as it left the factory car - known as a reference car for it's originality.

I only included these pics as I didn't have any earlier ones in colour - Cheers - GV

Attachments:
CCF24082012_00000 (2).jpg    34 KB
CCF24082012_00000 (2).jpg

CCF24082012_00001 (2).jpg    38.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CCF23082012_00000 (2).jpg    33.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 2400829 by mgbanthony Funny that iris blue car doesn't have wide white walls. any idea what year it is?

Pretty early....'63, according to the article.

http://www.mossmotoring.com/my-dads-mgb/

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB    & more
In reply to # 2400964 by Benny
In reply to # 2400829 by mgbanthony Funny that iris blue car doesn't have wide white walls. any idea what year it is?

Pretty early....'63, according to the article.

http://www.mossmotoring.com/my-dads-mgb/

Hmmmm...the whitewall in the photo is the same width as the one on the Dunlop C41 Gold Seal that was the OE spare in my iris 62. Wonder where this fetish for wide whitewalls comes from on early Bs today?

stuntflyr Avatar
stuntflyr Chris McMillin
Catalina, Foothills, USA   USA
The Road and Track ad, I would suppose.
Chris...

stuntflyr Avatar
stuntflyr Chris McMillin
Catalina, Foothills, USA   USA
In reply to # 2400895 by roadster65
In reply to # 2400652 by Benny Gavin,

Hi Ben; appreciate your comments and agree with the sentiments of establishing this thread especially within this particular forum.

For what it's worth; 2041# as seen in those pics was in "as it came from the factory" condition - no modifications whatsoever. In the early 1980's this car was a National Concours winner in it's Class and it's history for the most part is fully documented and corroborated by the previous (2nd)owner - I'm aware of the details of the first owner and am yet to track him down; I still have the original owners books with his name inscribed - Basically the car was acquired from Peter Manton Motors Elizabeth Street Melbourne Victoria Australia; then shipped to Hobart Tasmania Australia by the 1st owner (name with-held); First owner had the car for ten years before selling to the second owner (name with-held) who had the car for ten years; I (third owner)acquired the car around 1985

This is a documented CKD Australian built car; shipped out from England in late November 1964; assembled in Australia Feb / Mar 1965 and first registered 21st April 1965 - original registration (Vic) JFF-249 it then acquired registration (Tas) MG-8111

What makes this car so unusual is that it is one of the last of the pull handle cars with one of the first of the 5 bearing motors.

Pic 1 - shows the car @ Cottage Point NSW circa 1995 (untouched original condition)
Pic 2 - Ditto
Pic 3 - In the workshops of Nepean Classic Cars @ Penrith NSW circa 2000 (untouched original condition)

What you see in the pics is an as it left the factory car - known as a reference car for it's originality.

I only included these pics as I didn't have any earlier ones in colour - Cheers - GV

So you're saying that car is in original Tartan Red lacquer from 1965? I'd love to be able to see those pictures about 3X's the size!
Thanks,
Chris...

roadster65 Avatar
roadster65 gavin vincent
Sydney, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 2401725 by stuntflyr
Chris: It's actually Champion Red and is stamped so on the VIN Plate ... You can see enlarged pictures by saving to your "My Pictures" Folder; then open the picture and using the mouse wheel up or down will enlarge or decrease the size of the pic. Cheers GV

This website ... http://mgbsmadeinaustralia.org/ ... has a Registry of all the MGB's made in Australia.

balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TEXAS, USA   USA
Ben....I suggest that you limit this to contemporary pictures only (in other words pictures taken when the car was new). From a pure historical stand point, these are the highest order of facts. Pictures taken 30 years on, although well intentioned, could show little mods that people would claim had to be original. Second or even further down the list in order of credence. Not to be too much of a jerk here....but I place no importance what so ever on any concours "wins". The people doing the judging typically are not very good with originality.....shiny paint yes, but originality...nope.

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

Benny Avatar
Benny Ben E
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 2404005 by balloonfoot Ben....I suggest that you limit this to contemporary pictures only (in other words pictures taken when the car was new).

Lloyd,

That was my original intent for exactly the reasons you listed, but the thread will follow its own natural path.....I don't want to join the ranks of the forum police, as they drive me nuts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-27 03:30 PM by Benny.

balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TEXAS, USA   USA
HA! Ben, I try to stay away from this whole "my car is totally original" fight. Historical method? Forget it. The logic used would often times also prove that Elvis isn't really dead............

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

miatadon Avatar
miatadon Silver Member Don Scott
Calistoga, California, USA   USA
The period photo idea is a good one. I have a friend who is in his early 80s who bought a TD new in England when he was in the US military. Will ask him if he has any photos of him and the car.

Would be really cool to find some of the guys who worked at Abingdon to post comments on the factory back in the day. Hemmings Classic Car has a feature where they do get guys who worked in the US automotive industry many years ago to tell their story. It is often one of horrible working conditions, and of either quitting or moving up into better jobs from the assembly line.

--------

Don Scott, Calistoga CA USA
1955 MGTF, 1962 MGA Mk 2, 1967 MGB, 1963-7 MGB (seeking), Misc. Japanese cars

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster