Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Original Mirrors

Posted by mgb4gary 
mgb4gary Avatar
Gary Brown
Covington, Virginia, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC "PAT'S MG"

Believe this topic deserves discussion on it's own. I was fortunate enough over the past few months to obtain a couple of the early mirrors for my '67 GT. Also, having a '65 roadster. which I have tried to maintain as original as possible, I have eagerly absorbed info on this forum from time to time as it related to the early mirrors. Hopefully this thread will bring more info to the masses.

Gary Brown

Retired Navy. Proud owner of a 1968 MGC. On the hunt for early MGB.

It's the "Little" things.

. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
Early GT Mirror 1.jpg (14.8 KB) –
Early GT Mirror 1.jpg

Early GT Mirror 2.jpg (12.5 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
mgbbrown Avatar
Tony and Sharon Ann Brown
Rougemont, North Carolina, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB

Thanks Gary! Wingard made the one pictured I believe for the MKI and MKII GT's as well as the early MKII Roadster. Please post some photo's of the original one from your roadster as there is some discussion on the backing color variations and whether the rivets were painted or unpainted. The rivets on mine were copper and unpainted but I have also seen the same rivets cadmium plated but again unpainted. I found at least three when I restored the Bob Stevens Rally reader to adapt to my 1969 Roadster. The one I chose was much darker than the other two examples, but it was chosen because the chrome pot metal mount was in better shape than the other two. It looks like you found a nice one! Do not buff the plastic- you are asking for trouble unless possibly using something like Novus Number 2 on it. Show us some photos of your cars! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Always drink upstream from the herd. Will Rogers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 04:31PM by mgbbrown.

Attachments:
MGB Wingard NOS MGB GT Mirror Glass.jpg (26.4 KB) –
MGB Wingard NOS MGB GT Mirror Glass.jpg

MGB GT Wingard MGB GT Mirror.jpg (29.6 KB) –
MGB GT Wingard Mirror Box NOS.jpg (45.3 KB) –
MGB Rally Stevens Rally Reader Back.JPG (44.3 KB) –
MGB 1969 Wingard Mirror NOS.JPG (40.7 KB) –
mgb4gary Avatar
Gary Brown
1968 MG MGC "PAT'S MG"

Tony, the mirror on my roadster is not an original. I believe it came from Moss. I'll have to have a look in the shed for the original mirror that came off my '66. Pretty sure I kept it.

Gary Brown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 05:54PM by mgb4gary.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
RedMGs Avatar
Robert Mueller
Bavaria, Germany   deu

This thread could also be in the "What are the most difficult to find original parts for an MG?"-discussion since the mirrors for the early (MKI) GT aren't available any more.
One and a half year ago I was also fortunate like Gary to find a NOS boxed mirror for my 67 GT. In attach a photo of the mounted mirror in the car.

Robert

Attachments:
1967-MGB-InteriorMirror-2-small.jpg (21.7 KB) –
1967-MGB-InteriorMirror-2-small.jpg

1967-MGB-InteriorMirror-small.jpg (40 KB) –
mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Very nice Robert! I was very fortunate to have found mine over a telephone conversation with a gentleman from Chicago- one of those "What else do you have?" moments. The silvering on the Roadster Wingate mirror for the 1968-1968 production does not survive well either. What is the NOS pipeline like on the Continent? God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

mgb4gary Avatar
Gary Brown
1968 MG MGC "PAT'S MG"

Very nice indeed Robert. Great score!! Unfortunately mine is used, which in itself is rare as most when found are in terrible shape.

Gary Brown

Bob Olach
Crystal Lake, IL, USA   usa
1968 MG MGB "Myrtle"

Tony

Could you please advise the factory part number for the "MGB 1969 Wingard Mirror NOS" - your last pic in the series?

Thanks

Bob
mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Bob; I will see tonight once I am home from work if I can blow up that photograph and see if I can see the BMC part number from the box. You are certainly welcome to try. Unfortunately my parts book is in storage in Raleigh- we go back around Valentine's Day. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Bob Olach
1968 MG MGB "Myrtle"

Tony

Thanks a lot.

Best

Bob
RedMGs Avatar
Robert Mueller
Bavaria, Germany   deu

Tony,
I found the mirror on eBay and as far as I remember for a reasonable price!! This was the first and only time, that I saw a NOS one on eBay. It was an US seller. California, I think.

Of course you find sometimes interesting parts in Europe, particular in England, but normally not so much parts for the early cars and very few in NOS condition. In the case of the early mirror even when you find one they are always badly rotten. Depends on the position in the car. Very hot and sunny directly behind the wind screen.

Robert
mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Bob; As best as I can tell from blowing up the photo- the BMC part number is BHH 4741. I will try to confirm it as correct. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

mgb4gary Avatar
Gary Brown
1968 MG MGC "PAT'S MG"

Just a little food for thought and hopefully someone can give me some info. It is my understanding that no external mirrors were installed on the cars. They were installed at the dealers. I'm assuming to prevent damage during transport. Is that correct? If so, were the dealers provided specifications for mirror placement or was it haphazardly done? Hoping maybe Lloyd or someone else who worked at a dealership could provide an answer.

Gary Brown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 08:42AM by mgb4gary.
mgbanthony Avatar
Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   can
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1991 GMC Sierra 1500   → more

Hi Gary: External mirrors, at least for the North American market were not installed until the 1968 model year. Dealers sold numerous types and installed them in numerous places. Talbot bullet type, Lucas, Desmo and Wingard were common brands and probably others as well.
Bob Olach
1968 MG MGB "Myrtle"

The exterior mirror that came with my 68 MGB is the exact same one shown on the first picture in my posting of the "1968 MGB Brochure", while the inside mirror that came as OEM on my MGB is the same as shown above as "1969 Wingard Mirror"..... I'd like to get a spare of each mirror if anyone knows where I can find them. Thanks.

Bob
stuntflyr Avatar
Chris McMillin
Los Angeles, USA   usa

Here is my '65 with it's interior mirror. It's a little aged with time but wanted to keep a bit of the car's personality and the LAX Hangar parking sticker!
I bought the Moss replacement and used the new chrome from it to make a presentable composite of old and new and I think it turned out OK.
Chris...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 12:31PM by stuntflyr.

Attachments:
MGB rearview from interior.JPG (37.3 KB) –
MGB rearview from interior.JPG

MGB rearview.JPG (36.2 KB) –
mgbanthony Avatar
Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   can
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1991 GMC Sierra 1500   → more

Mirror looks very original Chris. Nice sticker!
I notice your convertible top header rail is wrinkle finished. I've never since one like that. All of mine have been either gray with the early cars or satin black.
stuntflyr Avatar
Chris McMillin
Los Angeles, USA   usa

The external mirrors added to my parents car originally were bullet style. It was very popular to do so as I recall, probably because they were used on race cars.
Here is a photo of the 8 years of corrosion on the one installed (looks worse than it is) and the new one I just bought, I'll add more as I scan my parents old photo albums of the car through the years from new to give more perspective.
The Talbot looking little mirror is a Moss or some other clone replacement, it's very stylish and cute but you can't see anything out of it. I bought the larger United Pacific 4 1/2 inch mirror available from Summit racing to replace it with and hope for a more acceptable performance from it's larger lens!

Watching Grand Prix the other day and reviewing some 60's race car pictures make it clear that many wanted race car parts on their cars and bullets were it for a lot of our MGB's.
Chris...

Attachments:
MGB bullet mirrors.JPG (31.9 KB) –
MGB bullet mirrors.JPG

stuntflyr Avatar
Chris McMillin
Los Angeles, USA   usa

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for the comments, I read your stuff with interest.
My resto was done for my parents in the 90's, so I did what they wanted. They had a Robbins top with black interior color, my original top was gray inside and all of the bows for the top and tonneau were gray gloss. I powder coated the header rail and packaway top bows wrinkle black to match the Robbins top! It matched OK, and looks pretty good but now here we are 15 years later and I'll probably be refinishing all of those parts to glossy gray again when I get a new top eventually. The Robbins has two slits in it from unknown forces that need repaired. I see that it will go away for a more original top.
Chris...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 12:57PM by stuntflyr.

Attachments:
MGB Robbins top and black bows.JPG (41.1 KB) –
MGB Robbins top and black bows.JPG

mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Nice Chris! What I am reading between the lines are you parents- they must have been exceptional folks to be that interested in their MGB. I am sure that many fond memories involved that car! What is even more remarkable is that they had their son restore it for them!

Your interior rear view mirror is nice- I had three or four to choose from when I made the back mount for the Bob Stevens Rally Reader. They were all a different shade of copper-brown paint on the metal backing. The one I chose was color matched and was much darker than the the others-it had the best pot metal chromed stem though, but I was attracted to the darker color as it was interesting. This goes hand-in-glove with the paint fading replies in the Tudor waster bottle thread. To make the mount the glass had to be broken and removed. and the sample of early mirrors had two backs with copper rivets which is on the mirror I used and cadmium plated rivets on the other two. That was probabily an availability nuance rather that a production specification.

Racing did indeed influence the accessories found on MGB's with bullet mirrors being a prime example. Racing or rallying seats; steering wheels; gear shift knobs; roll bars and sporty looking ehxhaust systems all come to mind- and I am sure we can tack aluminum valve cover on the board as well. You will like the larger bullet mirror- mine are huge! I will probabily retain the factory rear view mirror on the driver's side and batwing on the passenger side because they are characteristics of the 1969 model year. They were what I had on the car and I am used to them, but I vastly prefer the looks of a bullet mirror-makes the car seem at least ten miles per hour faster! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

As an aside-my parts car was owned by a pilot who had various flying related stickers attached to the rear deck.

miatadon Avatar
Don Scott
Calistoga, California, USA   usa

This is the original bullet style mirror that is on my '67 B. It was probably installed by the dealer who sold the car new, but I don't like it! I wish there was a Lucas or Tex type mirror that I could bolt to the fender, but there are two holes and they are too far apart to cover with a flat-type mirror's base.

Attachments:
mirror.jpg (50 KB) –
mirror.jpg

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG