AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgb4gary Avatar
Gary Brown
Covington, Virginia, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC "PAT'S MG"

Believe this topic deserves discussion on it's own. I was fortunate enough over the past few months to obtain a couple of the early mirrors for my '67 GT. Also, having a '65 roadster. which I have tried to maintain as original as possible, I have eagerly absorbed info on this forum from time to time as it related to the early mirrors. Hopefully this thread will bring more info to the masses.

Gary Brown

It's the "Little" things.

Although I now own this C, it will always be Pat's MG

Attachments:
Early GT Mirror 1.jpg    14.8 KB
Early GT Mirror 1.jpg

Early GT Mirror 2.jpg    12.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
mgbbrown Avatar
Tony and Sharon Ann Brown
Rougemont, North Carolina, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB

Thanks Gary! Wingard made the one pictured I believe for the MKI and MKII GT's as well as the early MKII Roadster. Please post some photo's of the original one from your roadster as there is some discussion on the backing color variations and whether the rivets were painted or unpainted. The rivets on mine were copper and unpainted but I have also seen the same rivets cadmium plated but again unpainted. I found at least three when I restored the Bob Stevens Rally reader to adapt to my 1969 Roadster. The one I chose was much darker than the other two examples, but it was chosen because the chrome pot metal mount was in better shape than the other two. It looks like you found a nice one! Do not buff the plastic- you are asking for trouble unless possibly using something like Novus Number 2 on it. Show us some photos of your cars! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Always drink upstream from the herd. Will Rogers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-02 04:31 PM by mgbbrown.

Attachments:
MGB Wingard NOS MGB GT Mirror Glass.jpg    26.4 KB
MGB Wingard NOS MGB GT Mirror Glass.jpg

MGB GT Wingard MGB GT Mirror.jpg    29.6 KB
MGB GT Wingard Mirror Box NOS.jpg    45.3 KB
MGB Rally Stevens Rally Reader Back.JPG    44.3 KB
MGB 1969 Wingard Mirror NOS.JPG    40.7 KB
mgb4gary Avatar
Gary Brown
1968 MG MGC "PAT'S MG"

Tony, the mirror on my roadster is not an original. I believe it came from Moss. I'll have to have a look in the shed for the original mirror that came off my '66. Pretty sure I kept it.

Gary Brown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-02 05:54 PM by mgb4gary.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
RedMGs Avatar
Robert Mueller
Bavaria, Germany   deu

This thread could also be in the "What are the most difficult to find original parts for an MG?"-discussion since the mirrors for the early (MKI) GT aren't available any more.
One and a half year ago I was also fortunate like Gary to find a NOS boxed mirror for my 67 GT. In attach a photo of the mounted mirror in the car.

Robert

Attachments:
1967-MGB-InteriorMirror-2-small.jpg    21.7 KB
1967-MGB-InteriorMirror-2-small.jpg

1967-MGB-InteriorMirror-small.jpg    40 KB
mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Very nice Robert! I was very fortunate to have found mine over a telephone conversation with a gentleman from Chicago- one of those "What else do you have?" moments. The silvering on the Roadster Wingate mirror for the 1968-1968 production does not survive well either. What is the NOS pipeline like on the Continent? God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
mgb4gary Avatar
Gary Brown
1968 MG MGC "PAT'S MG"

Very nice indeed Robert. Great score!! Unfortunately mine is used, which in itself is rare as most when found are in terrible shape.

Gary Brown

Bob Olach
Crystal Lake, IL, USA   usa
1968 MG MGB "Myrtle"

Tony

Could you please advise the factory part number for the "MGB 1969 Wingard Mirror NOS" - your last pic in the series?

Thanks

Bob

mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Bob; I will see tonight once I am home from work if I can blow up that photograph and see if I can see the BMC part number from the box. You are certainly welcome to try. Unfortunately my parts book is in storage in Raleigh- we go back around Valentine's Day. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Bob Olach
1968 MG MGB "Myrtle"

Tony

Thanks a lot.

Best

Bob

RedMGs Avatar
Robert Mueller
Bavaria, Germany   deu

Tony,
I found the mirror on eBay and as far as I remember for a reasonable price!! This was the first and only time, that I saw a NOS one on eBay. It was an US seller. California, I think.

Of course you find sometimes interesting parts in Europe, particular in England, but normally not so much parts for the early cars and very few in NOS condition. In the case of the early mirror even when you find one they are always badly rotten. Depends on the position in the car. Very hot and sunny directly behind the wind screen.

Robert

mgbbrown Avatar
1969 MG MGB

Bob; As best as I can tell from blowing up the photo- the BMC part number is BHH 4741. I will try to confirm it as correct. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

mgb4gary Avatar
Gary Brown
1968 MG MGC "PAT'S MG"

Just a little food for thought and hopefully someone can give me some info. It is my understanding that no external mirrors were installed on the cars. They were installed at the dealers. I'm assuming to prevent damage during transport. Is that correct? If so, were the dealers provided specifications for mirror placement or was it haphazardly done? Hoping maybe Lloyd or someone else who worked at a dealership could provide an answer.

Gary Brown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-11 08:42 AM by mgb4gary.

mgbanthony Avatar
Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   can
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB   → more

Hi Gary: External mirrors, at least for the North American market were not installed until the 1968 model year. Dealers sold numerous types and installed them in numerous places. Talbot bullet type, Lucas, Desmo and Wingard were common brands and probably others as well.

Bob Olach
1968 MG MGB "Myrtle"

The exterior mirror that came with my 68 MGB is the exact same one shown on the first picture in my posting of the "1968 MGB Brochure", while the inside mirror that came as OEM on my MGB is the same as shown above as "1969 Wingard Mirror"..... I'd like to get a spare of each mirror if anyone knows where I can find them. Thanks.

Bob

stuntflyr Avatar
Chris McMillin
Los Angeles, USA   usa

Here is my '65 with it's interior mirror. It's a little aged with time but wanted to keep a bit of the car's personality and the LAX Hangar parking sticker!
I bought the Moss replacement and used the new chrome from it to make a presentable composite of old and new and I think it turned out OK.
Chris...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-06 12:31 PM by stuntflyr.

Attachments:
MGB rearview from interior.JPG    37.3 KB
MGB rearview from interior.JPG

MGB rearview.JPG    36.2 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG