AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Currently we have a 7 year old Hyundai i30 CW wagon.

2 litre auto, full size spare, towing capacity 1400 kg, and cruise control, being the important things, engine size can vary.

We are thinking about replacing it, but can't find anything with those specs. The closest is an i30 hatch, but there is a large panel across the back, which would require anything you put in the boot, like one big lazy dog, to be lifted over this panel. (the wagon doesn't have this panel).

Apart from the specs we are looking for, no-one seems to make a small wagon any more. SUVs are out as being too large, for the missus.

I've checked Toyota, Mazda, Skoda, VW, Holden, Ford, Kia, Hyundai, and others I can't remember.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, Tennessee, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
Mazda3 5-door and Subaru Impreza hatch might come close....if those are available in Australia. Problem with the small wagons like those is that they've become more hatchback than wagon. I suppose that's because the more vertical rear hatch isn't as aerodynamic. I had an '03 Impreza and it was much more wagon-like...and was a terrific car!

ozieagle Avatar
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Thanks for those ideas, Joe.

I looked them up and they both fall down in the full spare size wheel, both have either a temp or spacesaver.

Also the towing weight is a bit light on, at 1200kg.

We went and looked at a Corolla hatch. Ticks the boxes, though towing is still a bit light at 1300 kg, but probably OK. The only issue is it too has a panel across the back, but not as high as others, about 4". Rear windows are a bit small.

Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 01:10 AM by ozieagle.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, Tennessee, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
Finding a smallish car with a full size spare might be difficult. If there's room for one to be stowed onboard but the car doesn't come with it, you could just get a wheel and tire from a wrecking yard and use it instead...

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
X2

for any of my cars with a space saver spare there was enough room for a full size spare

In reply to # 3514048 by JoeReed Finding a smallish car with a full size spare might be difficult. If there's room for one to be stowed onboard but the car doesn't come with it, you could just get a wheel and tire from a wrecking yard and use it instead...

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

ozieagle Avatar
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Thanks again for those suggestions.

FWIW the i30 and the Corolla do have full size spares, though I feel that the Corolla with alloys may have a space saver, can't find a model by model comparision.

Herb

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
smoking smiley

Attachments:
alfa masera.jpg    39 KB
alfa masera.jpg

mgcyclo Avatar
mgcyclo Tim Rich
Township of Washinghton, NJ, USA   USA
Volvo V60 or V60 Cross Country

ozieagle Avatar
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Wyatt, that Masera doesn't seem to be offered down under.

Tim, the Volvo doesn't have a full size spare, and even second hand ones are running at up to $70 grand.

Herb

ozieagle Avatar
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
I've now researched other makes, Golf, Haval, Skoda, Peugeot, Mitsubishi, Kia, and they all fall down of one or more criteria, including price. Though the Kia Cerato may come close.

Herb

Dans77B Avatar
Dans77B Daniel C
Southport, Merseyside, UK   GBR
Out of interest, why are you so bent on getting a full size spare, do you get alot of punctures where you live? Seems a strange reason to completely disregard any one particular model.

I think wagons/estate cars are out of fashion these days due to to fashionable, yet inferior crossovers (my old man calls them cross-dressers)

The mazda 6 is a very nice car and seem well equipped for the price, not actually driven one though..

In reply to # 3514958 by ozieagle Wyatt, that Masera doesn't seem to be offered down under.

Tim, the Volvo doesn't have a full size spare, and even second hand ones are running at up to $70 grand.

Herb

ozieagle Avatar
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
In reply to # 3518218 by Dans77B Out of interest, why are you so bent on getting a full size spare, do you get alot of punctures where you live?

Unlike the UK, we have some long distance driving here, with bugger all in between. If you have a puncture on one of these trips and need to fit a derated tyre, it's not a short hop to the next tyre shop, especially at night. Maybe never need it but, it's like car insurance. Also the spare can be kept "up to date", by swapping with a used road wheel, when fitting new tyres.

In my opinion the only thing worse than a space saver is the latest where you don't even get one of those, but a can of tyre seal and inflater. On a 500 mile trip, a while back, I first noticed a burning rubber smell and then the thump thump started. Stopped and found only shreds of rubber hanging off the rim. This was on a 70s Morris 1500, front wheel drive, which exhibited absolutely no handling issues, at 70 mph.

Herb

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster