Other Vehicles

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

1936 Mercedes Marlene

Posted by Razorback489 
Chandler Besaw
Modesto california, USA   usa

Hey guys I just wanted to share this with you. A lot has happened since I started this project, and right now I'm just trying to get the word out there. I don't expect anything from anyone. Just hoping you guys can at least check out my page, and maybe tell your friend. Lets try and spread the word! Thanks in advance.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/205284?a=1030477&i=wdgi
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Northwest2go Avatar
Phil Robinson
Bury st Edmunds, Suffolk, United Kingdom   gbr

Looks like a GRP kit car to me which would be worthless when finished?
Chandler Besaw

God I hope not. Plan isn't to sell it. But if I need to once it's finished that's what I'm going to do. It's not worth much the way it sits that's for sure.. I've seen them for sale on ebay for 15+k. What they are selling for though, that's another story.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Northwest2go Avatar
Phil Robinson

TBH, Unless I am seriously mistaken, I'd dump it quick on Ebay. I'm no expert but that doesn't look like a genuine 1930's car to me but just another 1/2 finished kit car that many many people end up with.
Even my Brother in the 1960's failed to build a Ford kit car and stopped 1/2 way through.
DrewM Avatar
Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   usa

It took me about 60 seconds on the internet to discover that real MB Marlene cars are worth a good deal of money, but that there is also a fiberglass kit car version of the same car which can sell in completed and very good condition, ready to drive, for about $14-15K. You appear to own one of the kit cars based on your pictures. Google is your friend.

I'm not quite sure why you would expect people to donate money to your project, especially in the middle of a major recession, but you never know. In any case, I don't think you have some old historical classic car there that people might want to save for historical reasons, but maybe you do and we've just got it wrong . . . ?

Drew Maddock
Pasadena, California
Chandler Besaw

No you're right, it being fiberglass panels it's probably a kit, but even being a kit there were only 500 kits ever made. Well, if people can get money for being laughed at on a bus. I figured why not take a shot. This project is more or less my resume. Since I can't get a job at a shop because I don't have any hands on experience at a shop, and i can't get hands on experience at a shop until I get a job. I'm kinda stuck. So I'm hoping driving this to a job and showing them documentation that I built it, might help me get in the door finally.
Northwest2go Avatar
Phil Robinson

Yes Unfortunately I do understand your "catch 22" situation regardiong work, but I can't see anybody wanting to finacially promote the building of someone elses kit car, as Drew rightly points out that it has no historical value.
I would peck at it piece by piece as and when a spare buck comes your way and keep forging ahead with your efforts to get some work and I wish you well.
Chandler Besaw

Yeah that's what I'm doing. I didn't make that site expecting anything. Was more or less an experiment. I will finish this car, and when I do, you guys will be the first to know. I bought this car from a friend and was told it was a 39 MG. I then joined this forum and started talking to you guys about it a long time ago. It's only fair you guy are the first to see it completed smiling smiley

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG